cruise insurance experience

kuntrybu

Would like to hear about your experience with cruise insurance. Going on my first cruise in Oct. and wanting to get some, but not sure which company is the best to work with in case of need. Any comments are appreciated.

You may want to spend some time just reading through the threads on the front page of this forum; there's lots of information. Then go to insuremytrip.com and compare policies to find a policy that will provide you with what you need.

I don't know when you booked your cruise, but keep in mind that most policies require you to purchase insurance within around 15 days of the date you paid your initial trip deposit, to receive coverage for pre-existing conditions, or to puchase "cancel for any reason" coverage.

I would also go to insuremytrip.com

It's a very easy web site to use. You enter some information and it not only gives you pricing from several insurance companies it has an easy way to compare the policies.

The devil is in the details so you want to find the policy that best meets your needs.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

We always booked through a local TA and her company had the insurance so we just let her handle the details. On our cruise to Hawaii in '07 I was VERY sick. Went to the medical center and found out I was dehydrated. I spent about 2 1/2 hrs. there on an I.V. My bill was $546.00!!!! They just put it on your seapass card (would have rather had those umbrella drinks) However, when we arrrived home I started the wonderful proceedings of filing the claim. Long story short!! Had to submit all the paperwork from the ship that the Dr. gave me and the bill. Submitted the claim to the travel insurance & my insurance. My insurance denied it because I was in international waters!!! (It was enroute to Hawaii) So after several weeks the travel insurance paid me the total of the bill!!

I would NEVER travel without insurance. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Carol

I'll let you know how it goes...the night before our 2 week Hawaii cruise, hubby ended up in the hospital where we spent the next 3 weeks...claim has been filed. We are so glad we bought it this time!

Archived