return time on airplane

tctravelgirl

While you were able to accomplish this - I would NOT recommend it to most travelers. There are so many things that could go wrong.

We have been on at least 2 cruises where we were delayed 2 hours getting off. (one cruise, someone had passed away the night before and the body of the deceased had to be cleared and off first. Another time, we had customs issues).

Glad you were able to make your early flight, but also want others to know this is NOT the norm, and I would hate to see them schedule an early flight and then miss it.

While you were able to accomplish this - I would NOT recommend it to most travelers. There are so many things that could go wrong.

We have been on at least 2 cruises where we were delayed 2 hours getting off. (one cruise, someone had passed away the night before and the body of the deceased had to be cleared and off first. Another time, we had customs issues).

Glad you were able to make your early flight, but also want others to know this is NOT the norm, and I would hate to see them schedule an early flight and then miss it.

I agree with the above. Can we expect a review once you're off the plane? I hope so.

Just off the Princess Ruby in Fort Lauderdale. We were able to walk off the boat with our luggage at 6:10 and were at the airport at our gate by 6:30. We made our 8:55 flight with NO problem.

Wow, I didn't know they let you off that early, on all of my 7 day Caribbean cruises out of Fort Lauderdale, including one on the Ruby, the earliest was around 7am. Good for you.

On our last two cruises (both on the Crown) we had a 9:05 and a 8:50 flight respectively, and both times we were literally the first people off the ship, and were at the airport and through security by 7:45, so it can be done, but as others will chime in, it's probably not recommended. We did it both times because it was the only reasonably timed flight (i.e. 8:50am vs 5pm) and so we took it with the plan to be off early and it worked out both times. Would I book that time again if it was the only reasonable time offered, yes, but I would prefer 10-11am.

The only thing that made my heart skip a beat through the process was when we got through customs and out to the taxi stand, there were no taxis. The Sheriff had a car there and I asked and he said "they aren't here yet but on their way". Sure enough about 5 minutes later a whole string of taxi's showed up. As others will point out, there can be many things cause a delay and fortunately we haven't had to deal with one yet.

Mike

I agree. Same thing happened to us - once there was a bomb scare at the pier and the entire pier was shut down for a few hours - no one allowed on or off. Second time our ship lost power in an engine and was late getting back to port by 2 hours.

For me, I'd prefer to sit around the airport for a few hours than nearly having a heat attack worrying I might miss my plane if there is a delay disembarking.

And as I always like to note, not making a connection due to an unreasonably tight schedule (usually defined as <3 or 3.5 hours from target disembark) will void compensation on many travel policies if you do miss your flight, and the airlines are not obligated to offer you a later seat.

Last May, the Sea Princess was 3 hours late :eek: docking at SFO due to the California Current pushing against us as the ship made it's way North along the Left Coast.

Fortunately for me, all I had to do was catch a train home, which runs several times a day.

Just off the Princess Ruby in Fort Lauderdale. We were able to walk off the boat with our luggage at 6:10 and were at the airport at our gate by 6:30. We made our 8:55 flight with NO problem.

We were forcibly removed :D from the Ruby the week before you were and we were delayed getting off of the ship because they didn't have enough personnel in customs to handle everyone. We had an 11:55 flight and didn't get to our gate until 11:00. Plenty of time but we were sweating it a little when we got to the airport and the security line was wound around and around in the building and ended outdoors. I'm glad you made your flight without a problem but not everyone has such an easy time. The ship didn't even clear customs for us until after 7:00 so you definitely were lucky! Hope you enjoyed your cruise! :)

I'm glad the OP made their flight but it would be irresponsible to suggest or recommend this to anyone else. There are so many things that could delay you, from the ship's arrival time, Customs and Immigration clearance, to very, very long lines at FLL. I've seen them all and watched people freak out when they realized they wouldn't make their flight.

Wow, I've never known anyone that had gotten off a ship prior to 6:15 am....You were extremely lucky in my opinion. There's no way I'd ever expect to get off a ship that early.

We were ready and waiting to walk off in Ft. Lauderdale on our last cruise, and weren't able to get off until 7:40 due to unknown reasons.

Archived