Princess transfer Heathrow to S'hampton - how early?

AndyTheK

We're flying into LHR the evening before our cruise and have booked a hotel in the vicinity of the airport. We've purchased Princess transfers from the airport to Southampton the morning of the cruise. Our TA told me to get back to LHR for the bus "up to 12:30". How early can we get there? Does Princess run more than one bus (I presume they do!), and if so, what time do they start?

TIA and shalom. Andy

We're flying into LHR the evening before our cruise and have booked a hotel in the vicinity of the airport. We've purchased Princess transfers from the airport to Southampton the morning of the cruise. Our TA told me to get back to LHR for the bus "up to 12:30". How early can we get there? Does Princess run more than one bus (I presume they do!), and if so, what time do they start?

TIA and shalom. Andy

Hi Andy: This has nothing to do with your question, but, we'll be in Israel (Pacific Princess) in November. Will you be around to perhaps say hello?

Hi there,

Used to work for Princess Transfers at Heathrow so can help you. Meet and Greet Staff are at all the 4 Terminals and have a list of what passengers are coming in and on what flight. They then ask you to wait until they have enough passengers for the first coach. We used to start sending the coaches from about 9 -9.30am as it takes about 2 hours to get down there and there is no point in getting to Southampton too early.

It then runs like that throughout the morning. Sometimes when the coach was half full at a point, we would send it round to another terminal and collect some more passengers to fill it up.

Whilst you are waiting, you can visit the bathroom, have a coffee, buy a paper ,etc. Good luck and have a great cruise.

Marty

London

Just don't wander too far from the bus. They wouldn't let us wait on the bus, so we waited & waited outside of it on benches. After 90 mins. of waiting, in a split second they decided to leave. Four people on our bus were literally running to get on the bus as it was about to pull out.

Yes, buses will be departing throughout the morning and early afternoon.

Hi Andy: This has nothing to do with your question, but, we'll be in Israel (Pacific Princess) in November. Will you be around to perhaps say hello?

Yup! We're cruising in September basically, so we're around in November. When you firm up your plans, let me know and we can arrange an eyeball meet - I'm in Tel Aviv, but as you know this is a small country. If we miss each other, I'll never forgive you.

Just don't wander too far from the bus. They wouldn't let us wait on the bus, so we waited & waited outside of it on benches. After 90 mins. of waiting, in a split second they decided to leave. Four people on our bus were literally running to get on the bus as it was about to pull out.

Yes, buses will be departing throughout the morning and early afternoon.

thanks for the tip. Since DW is in a manual chair, we're not great wanderers, and kind of hard to miss LOL.

Hi there,

Used to work for Princess Transfers at Heathrow so can help you. Meet and Greet Staff are at all the 4 Terminals and have a list of what passengers are coming in and on what flight. They then ask you to wait until they have enough passengers for the first coach. We used to start sending the coaches from about 9 -9.30am as it takes about 2 hours to get down there and there is no point in getting to Southampton too early.

It then runs like that throughout the morning. Sometimes when the coach was half full at a point, we would send it round to another terminal and collect some more passengers to fill it up.

Whilst you are waiting, you can visit the bathroom, have a coffee, buy a paper ,etc. Good luck and have a great cruise.

Marty

London

Thanks, Marty. Since we're coming in to the airport that morning on a hotel shuttle we can get to any terminal, I'm sure. Is there any terminal that's better to meet Princess at (Terminal 5 is probably the most people coming in I would think)

Shalom, Andy.

Yup! We're cruising in September basically, so we're around in November. When you firm up your plans, let me know and we can arrange an eyeball meet - I'm in Tel Aviv, but as you know this is a small country. If we miss each other, I'll never forgive you.

Shalom, Andy.

Great! Will advise when we know. One of our roll call people is working on a private tour, so when it's all set and we get closer to departure, I will contact you.

I would be at the airport no later than 9:00. It is quite a ride to Southampton and the bus will most likely make a potty stop midway. It takes about 2 hours to get to Southampton from Heathrow. If there is an accident on the motorway, it can take a while longer as happened to us once. The driver finally got off the motorway and took the back roads to the port.

Hi Andy,

Terminal 5 is proberbly the best as it has a very large arrivals area. The shuttle bus will drop you off at departures and then you go down an elevator to Arrivals. You will see the Princess 'Meet and Greet' to the left of Intenational Arrivals'. Hope that helps.

Marty, London

Or with their relatives and wish to travel with Princess coach.

There is a coach which leaves Victoria Coach station 64, Buckingham Palace Road.

Phone 24 hours in advance to book when in London, Intercruise Shoreline 02074621584

thanks for the tip. Since DW is in a manual chair, we're not great wanderers, and kind of hard to miss LOL.

Thanks, Marty. Since we're coming in to the airport that morning on a hotel shuttle we can get to any terminal, I'm sure. Is there any terminal that's better to meet Princess at (Terminal 5 is probably the most people coming in I would think)

Shalom, Andy.

Hi Andy.

Don't know if you know that there's a National Coach bus station right in Heathrow, and since you'll be rested up after a nice Hotel night and not stressed, you might consider just grabbing a NC bus right there at Heathrow, & they pretty much leave every hour or so, also you can pre-book online, and sometimes for as little as 5.00 pounds, it's easy peasy :)

Just a thought..

Srpilo

you might consider just grabbing a NC bus right there at Heathrow, & they pretty much leave every hour or so, also you can pre-book online, and sometimes for as little as 5.00 pounds, it's easy peasy

You will still need to take a cab to the pier from where the bus lets you off in Southampton.

National Express runs coaches from all London Airports to your choice of Southampton Coach Terminal or Southampton Cruise Ship Terminal. If you were to board a coach to the SOU Coach Terminal, then yes you would need to take a taxi to the pier.

Many of the coaches from Gatwick, Stansted and London City to SOU will go to LHR (or Victoria Coach Station in the city) where you will have to transfer coaches. You are responsible for retrieving your own luggage at any intermediary changes and visually ensuring that they are loaded on the second coach of your journey. Good reason to put the DW on the coach to get good seats and you (brave soul that you are) will gallantly ensure your bags are loaded.

Watch the queues (Brit for lineups) as there is a mad rush for the door when the driver starts taking tkts and there is often no semblance of order in boarding whatsoever.

Would recommend that when you book online you note the luggage restrictions for coach travel with Natl Xpress (2 med suitcases etc) and their onboard (cabin baggage) restrictions.

Coaches are deluxe comfortable and air-conditioned and trip time from LHR to SOU can vary by day and time thereof, but mostly in the neighborhood of 1.5 to 2 hours from LHR.

Hope this helps, and...

Ciao for now!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The reason we choose Princess transfers is to minimize hassle. DW uses a manual wheelchair for traveling (rented scooter aboard the ship) and we are not particularly light travelers. The norm is four suitcases, two carryons (I use a rollaboard) and Jo's backpack.

Using a public bus, while most likely significantly cheaper, is not an option in this case. The simple act of "grabbing a cab" at Southampton is a major operation for us. That worked in FLL, but Europe's level of accessability n transit is nowhere near what you find in the US. Princess will take our bags at Heathrow and we're set for the trip!

Shalom and Happy Holiday to all. Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived