Riviera Ramblings

JimandStan

Although the Marina was pretty spectacular, there are one or two suggestions that I would make to improve the soon to sail Riviera:

It would be great, for example, if the front desk and the concierge were able to issue ship-wide pagers. Both departments were wonderful about fixing any issue that I brought to their attention, but there were a number of frustrating "missed connections" because I was busy vacationing and didn't get back to my cabin in time to return a call.

Let's hope they DON'T. A separate shower is really nice (and separate bathtub), though the shower should be somewhat more spacious, if possible, than the ones on Marina.

My guess is that the shower, as it is now, will not change. They will simply convert the tub to a combo.

Would like to see the forward sets of elevators operate together. People pressed buttons for both sides and then got on the one that came first. Often you would then stop at a number of floors with no one waiting. Very inefficient. Having just 2 elevators aft is not enough. People got very upset. We took the stairs alot but not everyone is able to do that. It was particularily bad around dinner and cocktail times or whenever an event let out. On disembarkation day they had blocked one of the 2 for crew us only and a number of passengers were very unhappy lugging luggage. Showerwise, being short for once is to my advantage! Love the new ship, though - there is so very much that is right and wonderful about her.

There is already a handheld shower head in the tub, but it's designed to be used while sitting in the tub and the hose is short. What was explained to me is that a longer hose will be installed, along with a bracket (possibly a sliding bracket to adjust the height of the shower head. More at question is the necessary apparatus to contain the shower water to the tub -- they could put in a full-length shower curtain rod, but there was actually some discussion of installing a shower curtain ring like the ones that used to be installed in clawfoot tubs.

The primary reason given for the idea was to provide an alternative to larger folks.

Don: The reason they would have to use a shower curtain ring around the entire tub is because of the way the tub is installed above the marble surround. If you used a shower with just a curtain on the outside, water would accumulate on the marble next to the wall and eventually rot out the grout. I speak from experience. Had a tub done like that which was used for a shower also. You had to wipe the water out of the space between the tub and wall after each use. That was a pain.

Just my thoughts as to why they are saying that.

Bobi

I could do without the tub just put in a larger shower;)

The ones in the PH look to be a good size

If they have the tub/shower combo there is more risk of falling ..it is a high step over the tub deck for me

Lyn

A shower or a tub

That is the rub

Where do I go with my ducky

In the pool might be just yucky

I go washless on the cruise

Mostly focus on the views

Spending days eating grub

Nights dancing in the club

A shower or a tub

That is the rub

Where do I go with my ducky

In the pool might be just yucky

I go washless on the cruise

Mostly focus on the views

Spending days eating grub

Nights dancing in the club

Hope your cruise is not too long

Pity the other passengers with your pong!

why do u need to be bothered with pagers ?

second..

from observing "cruisers" daily.. would suggest.. a map of ship be posted in the area AT the elevator with the arrrow u are here..

or a small one even inside each elevator.

How clever?

why do u need to be bothered with pagers ?

second..

from observing "cruisers" daily.. would suggest.. a map of ship be posted in the area AT the elevator with the arrrow u are here..

or a small one even inside each elevator.

How clever?

The Elevators already have some kind of a digital display, which lists which Public Rooms are on a given deck as the elevator arrives there, but not a map.

I know that there were ship maps around, but I think that they were too large to fit on the walls of the elevator lobby.

I know this is OT but I had a question while onboard that no one seemed to be able to answer. When you arrive at your deck in the elevator the voice will say for instance: 8th floor or 10th floor. Since when is it a floor instead of a deck on a ship?

I know this is OT but I had a question while onboard that no one seemed to be able to answer. When you arrive at your deck in the elevator the voice will say for instance: 8th floor or 10th floor. Since when is it a floor instead of a deck on a ship?

Maybe that's all the elevator knows how to say.

I suppose that the decks became floors at about the time that we passengers became "guests". :rolleyes:

Hey, will you settle an arguement for us?

Didn't the "Elevator voice" sound like the same woman who "Welcomes us aboard Oceania Cruises" on the telephone?

I suspect passengers became guest when cruise liners became cruise ships and then hotels. I think a number of lines in fact refer to the Hotel Manager.

As time passes things change as is often unfortunately pointed out on some birthday cards: "If you remember when a tweet was the sound a bird made, ..."

Archived