Gold and Above to Receive Same Benefits for Dining and Excursion Sign-up

Dreps

IMHO most people don't like change, certainly not radical change. It doesn't really matter if the "theres-no-real-changes, or the wait-and-see's" are in the Majority or Minority. Is it not a simple FACT that if you want to retain the status quo of today, your ability to get EQUAL chance at Excursions, in the future that can simply/ONLY be achieved by purchasing a higher level of suite than you do today. Regent calls this MARKETING? I call it, "In my face".

IMHO most people don't like change, certainly not radical change. It doesn't really matter if the "theres-no-real-changes, or the wait-and-see's" are in the Majority or Minority. Is it not a simple FACT that if you want to retain the status quo of today, your ability to get EQUAL chance at Excursions, in the future that can simply/ONLY be achieved by purchasing a higher level of suite than you do today. Regent calls this MARKETING? I call it, "In my face".

I certainly agree with the fact that most people don't like change. There have been many changes in the past 2-3 years on Regent -- some good -- some not so good. When Prestige Cruise Holdings purchased Regent, they had a rough start. Although they immediately started spending $$$ on fixing the ships up, the staff appeared unhappy. The food and service were starting to decline. PCH realized that they did not understand the luxury cruiser's expectations and went about changing things in a good way. They still have a ways to go in in area of food consistency, but the service has been amazing (IMO)

Things started changing gradually in terms of "marketing". First they started including more and more things and pricing themselves in competition with premium cruise lines (even Disney on their Alaska itineraries). Now they are creating a two-class system (note: my DH, who agrees with the policy:( also agrees that this meets the criteria for a "class" system). It is a sad state of affairs when people are criticized for believing in equality.

Still want to know if anyone has seen an "official announcement" from Regent about the exclusion of Gold and above Seven Seas Society members from the two-class plan

I'd be interested to know, Responder, how Regent "tops" your previous experiences cruising with Regent's competitors Silversea, Seabourne and Crystal.

I really don't know how to answer your question.

Tastes are so very personal that we might start a whole existential topic on this alone. I'm not sure it would fly in this forum.

Basically, everything and everyone has a personality. It's that personality that my wife and I most of the time use as a tuning fork.

Beyond that, we should save this discussion for another time...maybe if we meet on a cruise.:)

TC....

Maybe I'll get lucky this time and my post won't be deleted.

I agree with Avondale as do many other posters. How do we know that we are in the minority? What is the measuring stick? Have we done a mathematical calculation to determine this?

Putting this aside for the moment, I don't think the "minority" is saying that changes will not occur. Life pretty much determines that. What we are saying is that in our opinion, the issue is well out of proportion. We think in time that it will fade away. Aren't we also entitled to our thoughts?

I don't really want to spend my time analyzing or anticipating Mark Conroy's every word. It's his business and so far I think it's going pretty well. I also think that those in the so called majority who may bail out, may be back.

Regent is still the tops in my book and until the day they make it so bad that it chases me away, I'm here to stay.

Responder, must have missed whatever was deleted.

I find myself pretty much in your camp. This is not doomsday. It will be on Regent's back to show everyone this new program will not result in a "two class" line, and I have every bit of faith that they will.

I do have a question, have any long time loyal (Gold and above) pasengers actually cancelled upcoming cruises in protest to this policy? Or are they just "reconsidering" other lines? By that, I know TC was never affected, as she books prime cabins anyway, told us several times on other threads, but has she canceled cruises in the future? I have a feeling that as much as anyone who is a long time cruiser with many earned perks doesn't like this policy, they are not going to abandon the line based simply on the new Concierge policy.

Just bothers me that lurkers here will be discouraged from booking Regent because of highly negative threads. There is a disconnect between what some posters say, anti-Regent, vs. what they will actually do themselves in the future

We will be gold upon finishing a short cruise we are taking this autumn but we have cancelled next summer's Regent cruise based on this new policy. I believe it will change the ambiance of the ship and will disadvantage people who should not be on a different track from other people on the ship.

We have consequently booked 2 three week cruises on Silversea and we think we will be very happy there, as they do not have the dreaded (to us anyway) included excursions.

If SS proves a disappointment we have lots of opportunities for spending our money on vacations elsewhere.

It seems RSSC is taking a big risk for not much in return, really. I'm not sure what would entice new cruisers with this program but since Apollo is totally focussed on return they must feel they can pull this off and be profitable.

For us, we are moving on and looking forward to a wonderful new cruise line!

We will be gold upon finishing a short cruise we are taking this autumn but we have cancelled next summer's Regent cruise based on this new policy. I believe it will change the ambiance of the ship and will disadvantage people who should not be on a different track from other people on the ship.

We have consequently booked 2 three week cruises on Silversea and we think we will be very happy there, as they do not have the dreaded (to us anyway) included excursions.

If SS proves a disappointment we have lots of opportunities for spending our money on vacations elsewhere.

It seems RSSC is taking a big risk for not much in return, really. I'm not sure what would entice new cruisers with this program but since Apollo is totally focussed on return they must feel they can pull this off and be profitable.

Which Silversea ships did you book? Once the "dreaded included excursions" started, we booked a cruise on the Silver Spirit. We really enjoyed Silversea. . . but was not crazy about the new ship. My friends (all Regent Gold) told us to try the Silver Whisper. . . . . we sail three weeks from today.

The service on Silversea is really top notch. We found the food in La Terazza for lunch (buffet) and dinner to be far superior to La Veranda. The main restaurant was about the same as Compass Rose. Hope you have a great time on SS:)

Look forward to hearing about your voyages. As mentioned by Chatkat, cruiser loyalty especially at the Gold level involves an investment of time and a whole lot of money. We are only shy of Gold by a couple of trips but may cut our losses now. For us as with you, it is the included excursions policy that is troublesome as it has made the pricing skyrocket and out of our reach for many cruises. I also don't care for the new Concierge policy but my sense is that there will be a lot of vocal complaints if folks get cut out of their choice of "free" excursions. The glitch is, do you want to take the chance, book a cruise, see if you get the excursions you want and then pay a hefty xcl penalty to get out of the deal. That's what a "wait and see" approach will be.

We are, however, very much looking forward to our upcoming voyage and know that the Regent experience will be special.

We just booked our first cruise with Regent yesterday. We changed from a 14 night HAL cruise to the April 3, 2012 Navigator sailing because it seemed as though the pricing and itinerary was superior to the HAL trip. And, after our last HAL cruise, the quality of the amenities and the people on-board (yes I'm a terrible snob) had declined.

After reading these postings, I'm amazed that anyone would even want to set foot on the Regent ships! I have previously heard nothing but wonderful comments and am very dismayed to read the comments. We're in a CAT F cabin-- no we're not in a penthouse suite so why should we expect that same sort of service?

NOT trying to start an argument -- just looking forward to a cruise that many of our friends say that we will enjoy!

We're in a CAT F cabin-- no we're not in a penthouse suite so why should we expect that same sort of service?

NOT trying to start an argument -- just looking forward to a cruise that many of our friends say that we will enjoy!

You are not starting an argument but, why wouldn't you expect the same sort of service less the butler? You are coming from a mainstream cruise line that provides service based on the category you book. Not the same on a Luxury Cruise Line. The extras you pay are for the size of the suite and some of the in cabin perks. The service on Regent is supposed to be the same whether you book a Cat H or the top Suite!

Our problems with Regent's new multiple class concierege plan is not with the in suite perks but, with the fact that we all pay the same amount for the dining experience and the supposed "free" excursions yet this new plan doesn't allow some of us to book speciality restaurants and excursions until 60 days past when 85% or so of the other passengers are able to book making it likely that we won't get the dining reservations we want and more importantly, we won't get some of the heavily advertised unlimited free excursions. That is a blatant advertising LIE. If regent allowed everyone who wants to go on any excursion, which they have paid for, by adding additional buses, etc., not such a big deal but, many of us consider what regent is doing false advertising and breaking contracts with those who booked their cruise under terms and conditions which are now being changed.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and hope you understand why so many of us are up in arms with this deceit

Maybe regent is banking on getting new passengers from people coming from mainstream cruise lines who are used to and accept these types of lies, false advertising, and breaking of a contract but, many of us will not accept this and will look elsewhere to cruise lines who want to make a fair profit and not deceive customers.

Tallship, I agree the "wait and see" approach is too risky. For us itinerary and good excursions drive our cruise choices and paying $$$$ and the expense and hassle( usually) of getting to port make this a risk we will not take.

We are looking forward to our 10 day Voyager cruise this fall which is port intensive (we've booked excursions) and combined with a great land tour prior to boarding, it should be wonderful. Happy sailing to you too!

TC, Thanks for your observations of SS. It is good to see a Regent loyalist enjoying and rebooking on SS! We are cruising on the Spirit and the Cloud, both chosen only for the itineraries. We hope to sail on their other ships as well.

We just booked our first cruise with Regent yesterday. We changed from a 14 night HAL cruise to the April 3, 2012 Navigator sailing because it seemed as though the pricing and itinerary was superior to the HAL trip. And, after our last HAL cruise, the quality of the amenities and the people on-board (yes I'm a terrible snob) had declined.

After reading these postings, I'm amazed that anyone would even want to set foot on the Regent ships! I have previously heard nothing but wonderful comments and am very dismayed to read the comments. We're in a CAT F cabin-- no we're not in a penthouse suite so why should we expect that same sort of service?

Welcome to Regent from a long time Regent cruiser.

Don't be dismayed...the sky is not falling, and I can virtually assure you that you will have a great time, and you don't have to be in a penthouse to make that happen..

Go and enjoy yourselves..

Look forward to hearing about your voyages. As mentioned by Chatkat, cruiser loyalty especially at the Gold level involves an investment of time and a whole lot of money. We are only shy of Gold by a couple of trips but may cut our losses now. For us as with you, it is the included excursions policy that is troublesome as it has made the pricing skyrocket and out of our reach for many cruises. I also don't care for the new Concierge policy but my sense is that there will be a lot of vocal complaints if folks get cut out of their choice of "free" excursions. The glitch is, do you want to take the chance, book a cruise, see if you get the excursions you want and then pay a hefty xcl penalty to get out of the deal. That's what a "wait and see" approach will be.

We are, however, very much looking forward to our upcoming voyage and know that the Regent experience will be special.

I don't understand your glitch. If you can't get the excurstions at 180 days out - you cancel for $100 pp (not hefty xcl penalty)

I'm really happy that you posted because those of us who are upset with Regent's new policy are, in general, long time Regent customers and this gives us a chance to differentiate between the policy and sailing on Regent. The wonderful comments you have read about Regent Experience has not changed. The suites, service, food. . . . . all wonderful and first class. The Navigator is a beautiful little ship and I have no doubt that you will have a wonderful time.

In terms of the change next year (not sure the exact date that the Navigator launches the new program), it will not seem like a change to people new to Regent. The service you receive in a Category "F" is the same as if you were in the "Master Suite" (minus the butler). Once you step out of your suite, no one wil know (or care) what suite level you are in). It is difficult not to enjoy a Regent cruise.

Those of us posting on this thread have reasons (IMO) to be angry about the new policy. They are adopting Oceania policies (the sister cruise line). We enjoy the true luxury experience -- such as we enjoy now on Regent and also Silversea and also offered by Seabourn. In fact, Regent is going the opposite direction of Silversea in terms of equality. . . . they have provided butlers to all suite categories. You pay a higher price on SS for a larger suite (and some amenities that do not affect the quality of the experience for other cruisers).

If there is not a Roll Call set up for your cruise yet, you may want to start one. Roll Calls allow you to electronically meet your fellow passengers. We have a Roll Call going for a cruise in November, 2012. . . that is as far in advance as a person can go:)

Rallydave,I suggested in an earlier post that additional buses may possibly be an answer. It was pointed out, quite rightly, that certain trips are always going to be limited by numbers, because of the nature of the trip or the venue to be visited.

It is interesting to note that in the UK we have totally different cancellation policies from the USA. We pay a 20% deposit, which is non refundable. The balance is then due 90 days before sailing date, these are new terms for 2012 cruises which are in the latest Regent brochure. If we cancel any time between 30 and 89 days we only get back 50% and only 25% for cancellations between 29 and 15 days, nil thereafter. I think we have always been in the position where we have paid in full for the cruise before being able to book any restaurant reservations or trips. the only difference now is that we may have less chance under the proposed changes.

I'm really happy that you posted because those of us who are upset with Regent's new policy are, in general, long time Regent customers and this gives us a chance to differentiate between the policy and sailing on Regent. The wonderful comments you have read about Regent Experience has not changed. The suites, service, food. . . . . all wonderful and first class. The Navigator is a beautiful little ship and I have no doubt that you will have a wonderful time.

In terms of the change next year (not sure the exact date that the Navigator launches the new program), it will not seem like a change to people new to Regent. The service you receive in a Category "F" is the same as if you were in the "Master Suite" (minus the butler). Once you step out of your suite, no one wil know (or care) what suite level you are in). It is difficult not to enjoy a Regent cruise.

Those of us posting on this thread have reasons (IMO) to be angry about the new policy. They are adopting Oceania policies (the sister cruise line). We enjoy the true luxury experience -- such as we enjoy now on Regent and also Silversea and also offered by Seabourn. In fact, Regent is going the opposite direction of Silversea in terms of equality. . . . they have provided butlers to all suite categories. You pay a higher price on SS for a larger suite (and some amenities that do not affect the quality of the experience for other cruisers).

If there is not a Roll Call set up for your cruise yet, you may want to start one. Roll Calls allow you to electronically meet your fellow passengers. We have a Roll Call going for a cruise in November, 2012. . . that is as far in advance as a person can go:)

Thanks for your input. We are coming off a HAL cruise in the 500+ sq ft cabin category and found the the concierge service to be excellent:partly because of the hugeness of the ship and partly because we were exhausted from a work schedule. In terms of the food, lets face it-- no ship afloat has true gourmet dining and as far as cabin service goes, well, it's just another luxury hotel. For those of us who spend 150 to 200 days a year on the road, we're looking for a quiet experience with lovely surroundings, and pleasant places to visit. We looking for people around us who actually look as though they can afford the journey and are interesting conversationalists over an adult beverage or two. We are looking for a port that we don't have to fly to and is less than 2 hours from home. If we like Regent (which seems to be the plan !) then we will return. If not, we will research other cruise lines for what we feel fits our criteria.

We live in a resort area and see what happens to people when they get away from home on a vacation. We try to learn from that experience and not behave in that manner.

Rallydave,I suggested in an earlier post that additional buses may possibly be an answer. It was pointed out, quite rightly, that certain trips are always going to be limited by numbers, because of the nature of the trip or the venue to be visited.

Thanks Daniel for the reminder. Know that extra busses cannot always be a solution simply pointing out the inequity and the fact that advertising and promises made by regent in writing (brochures, website, etc.) say one thing while in actuality, some of what is advertised or promised may not occur.

Am actually OK with that possibility assuming everyone has an equal shot at what is advertised/promised. Now with this two tier program, regent is going one step further in the deceptive advertising arena by making a significant minority of the people who have paid the same amount for what was promised have a significantly lower chance of receiving the promised restaurant/excursion reservations.

In some locals, this might even be determined to be illegal.

Wow! I admit I perused this thread and was quite disappointed to hear of the Carnival/Royal Caribbean "Concierge level" juvenile status distinctions. I say, "Get Over Yourselves Regent!"

One quality I seek in an upscale line is an absence of all this petty drama. For Christ's sake, give me one price and quit the class distinction, "I'm better then you" histrionics. You sound like 11-yr-old school girls competing for the class jock!

On OTHER luxury lines, it's so nice to just be treated with respect and be left alone to enjoy your vacation. Wow... now I have the added anxiety to be booked in a certain cabin to get a Disneyland "Fast Pass" to the most sought after attractions (dining venues/excursions.) Wow!... is all I have to say. And wow in an unflattering way. For about $1,000.00/day... call me crazy... but my wife and I just want to relax and have "no pressure", NOT the added pressure of booking dining or tour reservations... give me a huge break!

No drama here... but I can honestly say this couple will look first at Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, and Paul Gauguin Cruises before ever investigating Regent again. No silly drama here... I just deplore petty histrionics as Regent has displayed here. Your mileage may vary...

Wow! I admit I perused this thread and was quite disappointed to hear of the Carnival/Royal Caribbean "Concierge level" juvenile status distinctions. I say, "Get Over Yourselves Regent!"

One quality I seek in an upscale line is an absence of all this petty drama. For Christ's sake, give me one price and quit the class distinction, "I'm better then you" histrionics. You sound like 11-yr-old school girls competing for the class jock!

On OTHER luxury lines, it's so nice to just be treated with respect and be left alone to enjoy your vacation. Wow... now I have the added anxiety to be booked in a certain cabin to get a Disneyland "Fast Pass" to the most sought after attractions (dining venues/excursions.) Wow!... is all I have to say. And wow in an unflattering way. For about $1,000.00/day... call me crazy... but my wife and I just want to relax and have "no pressure", NOT the added pressure of booking dining or tour reservations... give me a huge break!

No drama here... but I can honestly say this couple will look first at Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, and Paul Gauguin Cruises before ever investigating Regent again. No silly drama here... I just deplore petty histrionics as Regent has displayed here. Your mileage may vary...

BRAVO! Great Post.

I don't understand your glitch. If you can't get the excurstions at 180 days out - you cancel for $100 pp (not hefty xcl penalty)

I think its more than 200 as i would have also mentally vested in going on the cruise only to find out i was to be disappointed

Plus, if you live the UK the penalty is much higher

B767drvr,

You have expressed it better than anyone else has. Yes, this is very petty and one should not have to worry about getting the Disney "Fast Pass." For a luxury line, it is ridiculous. I hope Regent reads this and gives it a lot of thought.

B767drvr,

You have expressed it better than anyone else has. Yes, this is very petty and one should not have to worry about getting the Disney "Fast Pass." For a luxury line, it is ridiculous. I hope Regent reads this and gives it a lot of thought.

Some "Fast Pass" that is, where at least 85% of pax can share in the "privilege" of early booking for excursions and restaurants. The marketing geniuses at Regent should be proud of themselves!

Thanks for your input. We are coming off a HAL cruise in the 500+ sq ft cabin category and found the the concierge service to be excellent:partly because of the hugeness of the ship and partly because we were exhausted from a work schedule. In terms of the food, lets face it-- no ship afloat has true gourmet dining and as far as cabin service goes, well, it's just another luxury hotel. For those of us who spend 150 to 200 days a year on the road, we're looking for a quiet experience with lovely surroundings, and pleasant places to visit. We looking for people around us who actually look as though they can afford the journey and are interesting conversationalists over an adult beverage or two. We are looking for a port that we don't have to fly to and is less than 2 hours from home. If we like Regent (which seems to be the plan !) then we will return. If not, we will research other cruise lines for what we feel fits our criteria.

We live in a resort area and see what happens to people when they get away from home on a vacation. We try to learn from that experience and not behave in that manner.

Welcome to Regent. The Concierge Program will not affect your cruise. It does not begin on the Navigator until May 30, 2012.

I noticed that you had booked a Cat. F suite. Are you aware that, at times, the Navigator has a lot of vibration aft? With one exception (Suite 600) all the Cat. F suites are aft and are subject to significant vibration from time to time. Regent attempted to fix the vibration problem during the Navigator's last dry dock but the fix was only partially successful. If vibration does not bother you, fine. However, if you think vibration would adversely affect your cruise, I advise moving to a Cat. E suite.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Archived