Can you leave Mahogany Bay?

Yoganut

Our family will be sailing on Triumph 6/18 with a port call at Mahogany Bay. I guess this is new since we were last on Roatan in 2008. So is this a 'private island' like RCCL's Labadee where you are essentially confined to the compound or can you still book a non-Carnival excursion (eg Victor Bodden)?

Thanks!

Our family will be sailing on Triumph 6/18 with a port call at Mahogany Bay. I guess this is new since we were last on Roatan in 2008. So is this a 'private island' like RCCL's Labadee where you are essentially confined to the compound or can you still book a non-Carnival excursion (eg Victor Bodden)?

Thanks!

Mahogany Bay is a docked port like Coxen Hole. You just have to walk out the back and up a hill to get out of the port area. Private tour guides will meet you once you go over the hill.

This was our second trip to Roatan. If there is any Port you don't want to miss it is this one. Magoney is nice but it doesn't show you the real Roatan, it's like going to Destin. We used a private tour for 4. Snorkeled in French Harbour Bay from a small boat, visited a Mangrove , drove the country side(Beautifull views, and finished visiting the streets of French Harbour. I wanted to see how the people of the Real Roatan people lived. I didn't see 1 other tourist where my guide took us. My guide is going out on his own from the company he worked for last year. I would recommend him to anyone. He has never been off the Island (37 miles by 3), I drive farther than that to go out for breakfast. :):)

Mahogany Bay is a docked port like Coxen Hole. You just have to walk out the back and up a hill to get out of the port area. Private tour guides will meet you once you go over the hill.

So I am confused. We are actually considering the same cruise 6/18 and we too were last in Roatan 2008. So is it a private island or is actually Roatan? We LOVED Roatan and wanted so desperately to go back. Please help :confused:

So I am confused. We are actually considering the same cruise 6/18 and we too were last in Roatan 2008. So is it a private island or is actually Roatan? We LOVED Roatan and wanted so desperately to go back. Please help :confused:

Mahogany Bay is a new port that Carnival built and opened at the end of 2009. It is on Roatan. There is a man-made beach to the right from where the ships dock. Carnival excursions are allowed come into the port area. People on private excursions have to walk out the port area to meet there tour groups.

Hope this helps.

Roatan is an island that is part of Honduras, just like Cozumel is an island that is part of Mexico. Have not been there yet but it is definitely NOT a private island.

For example Grand Turk has a Carnival built dock, beach, and shopping area but you certainly can leave the "compound" and I recommend you do!

Roatan is an island that is part of Honduras, just like Cozumel is an island that is part of Mexico. Have not been there yet but it is definitely NOT a private island.

For example Grand Turk has a Carnival built dock, beach, and shopping area but you certainly can leave the "compound" and I recommend you do!

Right, as I stated in my original post I have been to Roatan but was concerned as to the difference between the original Roatan port and the new Mahogany Bay port. Thanks though:)

Mahogany Bay is a new port that Carnival built and opened at the end of 2009. It is on Roatan. There is a man-made beach to the right from where the ships dock. Carnival excursions are allowed come into the port area. People on private excursions have to walk out the port area to meet there tour groups.

Hope this helps.

Yes it did thanks!

The question is not "Can you leave Mohagony Bay" but "Can you arrive?". This has to be the worst designed facility ever! We missed it because the wind was too strong...but even on a mild day, it has got to be tough to back that huge cruise ship down that long narrow channel.

Most discouraging was looking off a mile or so and seeing the NCL ship safely moored at Coxen Hole. Carnival cannot be happy with the guy who came up with this idea!

If seeing Roatan is really important I'd recommend a cruise line other than Carnival or Princess. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
The question is not "Can you leave Mohagony Bay" but "Can you arrive?". This has to be the worst designed facility ever! We missed it because the wind was too strong...but even on a mild day, it has got to be tough to back that huge cruise ship down that long narrow channel.

Most discouraging was looking off a mile or so and seeing the NCL ship safely moored at Coxen Hole. Carnival cannot be happy with the guy who came up with this idea!

If seeing Roatan is really important I'd recommend a cruise line other than Carnival or Princess. :cool:

So how far away is Mahogany Bay to Coxen Hole? When we went in 2008 we went to a couple places that we would like to go back to right near the old Coxen Hole cruise dock.

Does anyone know an excursion that takes you to a beach to relax and then to Coxen Hole to do a little shopping?

Thanks!

Just found this site of pictures of Mahogany Bay:

http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Roatan%27s-new-Mahogany-Bay-cruise-center/G1485,A6499

So how far away is Mahogany Bay to Coxen Hole? When we went in 2008 we went to a couple places that we would like to go back to right near the old Coxen Hole cruise dock.

Does anyone know an excursion that takes you to a beach to relax and then to Coxen Hole to do a little shopping?

Not sure of the distance between the two ports, but it isn't far. I think you best bet would be to hire a driver for the day, who could take you to whichever beach you wanted and then drive you to Coxen Hole before heading back to the ship. We use Rony's Tours when we're in Roatan (he has a website) and there are others.

Where in St. Louis are you? I went to Kirkwood High School 30 years ago.

Not sure of the distance between the two ports, but it isn't far. I think you best bet would be to hire a driver for the day, who could take you to whichever beach you wanted and then drive you to Coxen Hole before heading back to the ship. We use Rony's Tours when we're in Roatan (he has a website) and there are others.

Where in St. Louis are you? I went to Kirkwood High School 30 years ago.

Thanks! We are considering Rony's Tours.

We actually have moved to South TX about a year ago but lived in the ST. Charles County area (O'fallon and Wentzville) for 8 years. :)

I tend to avoid any of the cruiseline built shopping malls, beaches, compounds, etc. The Mahogany Bay shopping area felt like a corral to me, the pathway just herded the cruisers into the stores, which are basically identical to the stores in any other cruiseline built mall. Mahogany Cay used to be Coral Cay, then CCL leased the property for the use of its cruisers. The Isle of Roatan is so beautiful, that anyone limiting their experience to just this mall and man made beach, IMHO, is missing a truly tropical authentic Caribbean experience. Tabayana and the other west end beaches are stunning, and there are great snorkel opportunities just off these beaches. Going to Mahogany Cay would be like eating at an American fast food joint when I could be having guacamole, garlic grilled shrimp, ceviche, or a grouper burger instead!

The Roatan Mahogany Bay is like a cheap Florida tourist trap. Get away from the company tours and really enjoy yourself. We were there 3/4/11 and got a guide (Jerry Thomas) that took us all over the island and helped us to get great pictures and experiences. His knowledge of the area was the best one could expect. The wife and I cannot wait to go back.

Thanks!

Technically the Beach at Mahogany Bay is an island, or a caye, and is separated from the port area. You have to cross a narrow lagoon via foot bridge or chair lift to reach it. There are cabanas for rent. 3 bars with food at atleast 2, loungers, clamshell loungers, water toy rentals, etc. But as others have posted, you are not confined ot the port area or the beach there.

DH & I have used Rony's Tours several times on Roatan and he always gives us a great tour. His mother recently opened a small restaurant out of her house in Coaxen Hole and her dishes are fantastic! Highly recommend stopping there for lunch to get a true island meal while dining in a typical Coaxen Hole neighborhood.

Rony started out several years ago with one taxi cab and has built his business up to a tour company after working for a couple of years in the entertainment department of a Celebrity ship.

Dianne

Archived