How much does Carnival hold on your CC?

nsiordia

First off, there is no "hold" on debit cards. They charge the amount of the deposit and refund at the end of the cruise. It's not like a regular credit card, where the hold the funds. Second off, if you want to use cash anyway, why not just put down a cash deposit at the beginning and forgo the credit card all together?

From Carnival's FAQ...

How is my credit card charged?

During embarkation, when your credit card is swiped, an initial approval of $50 is obtained. Then, throughout the voyage incremental holds will be obtained as needed. You should know, this will reduce the amount of available credit on the credit card or restrict the availability of cash in the checking/debit account. Authorization hold releases to your account is entirely up to your issuing bank.

All charges will be automatically billed at the end of the voyage. On the final morning of the cruise, a statement detailing all purchases made with your Sail & Sign card will be delivered to your stateroom. If you made a cash deposit and there is an overpayment at the end of the cruise, you will receive the overpayment in the form of a check, attached to the detailed statement received on the final morning of the cruise.

Cash Deposit:

U.S. Currency and Traveler's Checks may be used to open your Sail & Sign Account. Once on board, please visit our Guest Services Desk who will gladly assist you in opening your account. Throughout the cruise, as you approach the deposit limit, our Guest Services Desk will notify you that additional money must be deposited.

"Recommended" deposits per sailing duration:

2-4 day cruises: $100 deposit pp

5-8 day cruises: $200 deposit pp

9+ day cruises: $350 deposit pp

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking I'd rather use cash also, but laying down $1000 deposit sounds like a bit much. (There are five of us sailing, three of which are children).

We aren't drinkers, and will plan all our shore excursions on our own. I'm thinking on a five day cruise we'll only use about $400 (including tips) on our accounts.

Since the guidelines are "recommended" do you think they'll let us get away with only depositing $400 in cash at check in instead of $1000?

We've always put cash down. I don't remember how much but since it says "recommended" not "required", I would think you could put down however much you wanted. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Poster #3 is SO wrong. Plenty of horror stories on cruisecritic if one does a search.

They may not have seen the hold on their account, and that's good, but to say there is no such thing is wrong wrong wrong.

Whether or not you see and experience a "hold" is completely up to your financial institution. Even using your debit card for gas in your car can produce a "hold". Car "A" pulls up and buys $25 worth of gas and $25 is deducted from your account. Car "B" pulls up, buys $25 worth of gas, $25 is deducted PLUS $50 is on hold. All because of the different policies of each individuals bank.

Also note that if your bank does do "Pendings" or "Holds", it's up to the bank to decide when those drop off and your money becomes available again. Some banks release the funds back to you after 3 days, some 7, and some even longer. These are business days, not calendar days.

I'm thinking I'd rather use cash also, but laying down $1000 deposit sounds like a bit much. (There are five of us sailing, three of which are children).

We aren't drinkers, and will plan all our shore excursions on our own. I'm thinking on a five day cruise we'll only use about $400 (including tips) on our accounts.

Since the guidelines are "recommended" do you think they'll let us get away with only depositing $400 in cash at check in instead of $1000?

You should be fine with that - just keep track of your spending.... they will let you know if they need additional funds deposited. Prepay your tips if you haven't already done so. That way your $400 goes for all of your other expenses. Let them know at check in that you do or don't want the kids to have the ability to use the card for purchases and the like. Sometimes younger ones don't grasp they are running up a bill so its just easier to give them no priveledges.

Have a great cruise!

The last cruise I was on back in '08 I just paid down cash on the Sail and Sign card during embarkation....then when it ran low I simply went to the Purser's desk and added more cash to my Sail and Sign Card. I ended with a small balance which they refunded to me on the final night after I used my card the last time at one of the on board shops. I'm assuming I can still do it this way.

People really need to understand that their bank Debit card is not a credit card, and that debit card sales and credit cards auths are very different. If you use a credit card, as long as you have money on your credit line you will be fine. If you use a debit, they will takes sales that will come out of your account as well as auths that will 'freeze' additional money and sometimes not release it for 30+ days. I always tell people to either use a REAL credit card, ie not attached to a bank account, or cash.

First off, there is no "hold" on debit cards. They charge the amount of the deposit and refund at the end of the cruise. It's not like a regular credit card, where the hold the funds. Second off, if you want to use cash anyway, why not just put down a cash deposit at the beginning and forgo the credit card all together?

I've never had a hold placed on my debit card. It is charged in full at the end of the cruise. If you want, just place cash down for your account.

My hubby & I are traveling together, and a friend recommended that we use one debit card for S&S & the other for all other spending, so even if there are holds on one, it won't affect all our spending money.

Think I read on here at one point that you can use a prepaid Visa or MC, but not sure.

I'd prefer doing a cash S&S deposit, but don't want to walk around with a lotta cash before getting on board. Unless there's a BOA or Wachovia near the Charleston port - anybody know?

You know this as all very confusing and contradictory! We got in credit trouble years ago, got out of debt, and as a result, do not use the things (CC). We do every thing with Debit and Cash. I have a debit card linked to a large savings account that I don't use for anything but special things like cruising so .... nothing will be coning out of it but my Sign & Sail. Should be OK with that. Huh?

You know this as all very confusing and contradictory! We got in credit trouble years ago, got out of debt, and as a result, do not use the things (CC). We do every thing with Debit and Cash. I have a debit card linked to a large savings account that I don't use for anything but special things like cruising so .... nothing will be coning out of it but my Sign & Sail. Should be OK with that. Huh?

That is what we do. We have a travel account with a debit card linked to it, and that is used only for travel so that nothing will bother our checking account.

My hubby & I are traveling together, and a friend recommended that we use one debit card for S&S & the other for all other spending, so even if there are holds on one, it won't affect all our spending money.

Think I read on here at one point that you can use a prepaid Visa or MC, but not sure.

I'd prefer doing a cash S&S deposit, but don't want to walk around with a lotta cash before getting on board. Unless there's a BOA or Wachovia near the Charleston port - anybody know?

Ok, so here you go. Say you use a debit card. They take an initial $200 hold. Over the week they take another $200, then another $200 hold. At the end of the cruise your total S&S is $589, so that money gets SALED off your card. So when you get home you have $589 removed from your account PLUS $600 more dollars being 'frozen' that may be frozen for up to a month before it gets release. If you have 20k in that account, no biggie. If you have $1500 in that account, probably going to post a problem.

I've never had a hold placed on my debit card. It is charged in full at the end of the cruise. If you want, just place cash down for your account.

That is a courtesy for you that is being done by your bank.

You will be fine, but if you don't want to risk anything pull some cash out of that account and use that for a deposit. Then if you run out use the debit card as your fall back. There is no requirement that you use a credit card, only that you have funds available to pay your S&S account. One other way to reduce the balance is to prepay your gratuities.

we just used a debit on a 4 day 3 pp ... the hold as all cleared the day after we got back it was the oddest to watch as they took each charge off one by one the actual hold was there so like the fisrt 200 (that is all it was) came out but then there was all the bar charges 10 her 15 there 595 here etc our bank removed those one at a time .. we had enough money to not worry but if you check what you wind up seeing at an atm for most banks/cu is say 1000 balance with 800 available our CU released it as the ship put the charge through I imagine they were matching the charges to the deposit(s) /hold amount ..

no horror story here .. had back up cash and CC in case but didn't need it and a 200 win on the slots last sea night would have gotten us home

also we pre paid grats besides the cash we gave to some extra

How do you prepay your tips?

Call the 800 number, anyone can handle it for you or if you used a TA, call them. Very easy, and it comes out before you leave. You can do it up until 2 weeks prior to departure.

Ok, so here you go. Say you use a debit card. They take an initial $200 hold. Over the week they take another $200, then another $200 hold. At the end of the cruise your total S&S is $589, so that money gets SALED off your card. So when you get home you have $589 removed from your account PLUS $600 more dollars being 'frozen' that may be frozen for up to a month before it gets release. If you have 20k in that account, no biggie. If you have $1500 in that account, probably going to post a problem.

This is what my friend claims she did. She refused to spend more than $800 including tips, on board. She put $800 on her debit card, gave it for S&S, & watched her spending (said you can ask as often as you like what your balance is). They had $ on her hubby's debit card which they used for anything except S&S.

They basically decided that except for S&S her debit card would be unusable for the duration of the cruise just in case holds took effect. They also had some cash. She also says the holds didn't last past the last day of the cruise.

Have you called your bank to see what the procedure is for your account? I'd call more than once because sometimes you get different answers.

On our first Carnival cruise we used a debit card (there were 3 of us). Our purchases were debited from our account along with a $100 hold on our account which was released within 3 days. The next cruise (also Carnival) I did a cash account. Our last cruise we were on NCL and used a debit card for our sign and sale account. We had $450 in purchases debited from our account plus $800 on hold. (four of us this time - $200 per person). It took 2 weeks to get the money released. I contacted my bank, which I have used for many years now, wondering why the release took so long. I was told by someone that I completely trust at our bank, that this was a hold by NCL that they had an outstanding authorization that would be released after 10 business days if they didn't more forward with the charge.

Will only use cash account IF I ever sail NCL again. The hold amount almost doubled our purchases.

Archived