Locations on the X-Constitution: Help!

In Retirement

Dear Readers,

The ultimate Cruise Critic activity is a group land experience. The first step is to determine the location for participants to gather and then to walk off the ship to the planned port activity.

Looking at the deck plans for the Constitution:

http://www.cruisecheap.com/ships/celebrity-cruises-celebrity-constellation-deck-plans.html

it looks like stairs to a docked port exit would be from the Plaza deck or the Promenade deck. How is your memory for your last cruise on the Constellation? Can you tell me which deck and location of exit/stairs, etc. as reference to these diagrams?

My thanks,

DJ:)

On the Constellation one exits the ship at docked ports from deck 1. These are not on the published deck plans since there are no passenger cains on that deck. In fact I think the only passnger facilities on that deck are the port exits and maybe the medical center. Depending on the port, dock, and direction the ship is docked they either use an exit near mid-ship elevators or the forward elevators. Mid-ship is used more often than forward.

If your are meeting a large group I'd suggest a meeting place near guest relations on Deck 3 as the elevators mid ship (or forward if the exit is there) can be extremely busy when everyone is leaving the ship. From the main lobby by guest relations you can easily go down the mid ship stairs to the mid ship exit or wok forward to the forward stairs and go down those if that exit is being used.

This will depend on several factors. Among other things, the tides, the configuration of the pier, and what other maintenance and refueling might be happening. So it is probably not possible to know in advance which gangway will be used. I second the motion to meet in front of Guest Relations, or even at the Rendezvous lounge, which will probably be available then.

or depending on the port-- someplace in the immediate port area

This is probably the best suggestion.

With our small group of 6 to 10 we quickly figured out the best place to meet was almost always on the dock right after you walk off the ship and run through the ship photographer gauntlet.

Yes, a brain freeze (too much political conflict in my head) -- obviously I mean the Constellation. We will be 18 for Germany, Russia, and Finland. I want us all to gather before we leave the ship so that we have easy access to the house phones if we need to call a cabin (it happened more than once in our several Mediterranean cruise tours).

Reading helpful comments and looking at deck plans, the area around Guest Relations (maybe a grouping of chairs) should give us easy access to mid-ship and aft stairs? Also, I guess that I should pay some attention to my surroundings when I first arrive onboard?

Thanks for all -- this is what Cruise Critic is all about and its strength. I guess that we will gather in a public area and then walk down 1 or 2 decks.

On the Plaza deck - can't remember the number - there are "Conference Rooms" near the cinema. I think they're called Alpha and Beta. They aren't too far from the mid-ship stairs. That's where they had everyone with private tours meet last year in St. Petersburg. If the rooms are open during other port days it might be a good place to meet since there are also rest rooms nearby. Suggestion - scout out the area yourself when you first board and then let everyone know where to meet.

If they're not open then you might consider the area outside of Ocean Liners - only draw back - I don't think there are chairs in that area.

For the Baltic trip we always used the first deck for exiting - I think the side differed as to the port. In the Med we used a different deck when we tendered.

Great when such a request generates really useful information! You are all very kind. Now, if Celebrity doesn't try to hinder our departure in St. Pete and if we finally hear from a Stockholm resident who tells us about HOHO boat differences, we'll be in hog heaven!

I didn't mean to give the wrong impression - Celebrity didn't hinder our departure in St. Pete. Early on in the trip - can't remember exactly what day - they sent around sheets to be filled out about our plans for St. Pete - similar to what they do about disembarking. We had toindicate if we were on a ship excursion, a private tour or just getting off the ship. We had arranged for a private tour and all of us had our paperwork (visa) from the company.

Everyone taking a private tour was told to meet in the conference room - can't remember the exact time but it was around the time we docked. There was no one from the ship in the room.

All our tour members were together with lots of other private tours and we heard prople going down the stairs. So our group just joined them and no one stopped us or asked any questions. Don't know just when everyone else left.

With most ports we'd just go down to deck 1 and blend in with others leaving. Often it'd be a tour but we'd "join" them leaving and then go our own way - seems like many do that just to get off the ship. They usually had two machines and the operators at the machines just want to get the seapass processed and make sure its the correct person and don't seem to care about tours staying together.

So I don't think you have any problems getting off the ship in St. Pete - and once off it took about 15 seconds to show our paperwork & passports and be on our way! The port complex is new - restrooms and shops once through customs - and plenty of room to meet if you get seterated getting off the ship. Our guide had a sign with name on it so there was no problem meeting her.

Hope this helps!!

Archived