JS downgrade to two D1 cabins? RCCL tries to jack up prices.

You are correct with what I'm trying to do. Considering that pricing stayed the same whether I booked the two D1s from the very beginning vs. doing it now, why should I be penalized for doing it now if they have availability and I'm not trying to take advantage of a "new bookings" only pricing, and I'm not requesting any refund or OBC as a result of a "credit" that would have resulted by this change. Instead, I'm supposed to fork over another $900 to make this change work.

If you went to book what I'm trying to do right now, it's cheaper than the JS I booked for 3 pax. Likewise, if I booked the two D1s originally, it would have been the same price as doing it now. No difference.

If they allowed you to do this, they would have to refund the difference which is the problem. If they didn't process a credit, then it would be considered an overcharge which they absolutely won't do............. even though you're more than willing to pay more for the two cabins than they are currently charging.

It's okay for them to change fares as they see fit but there's no way their system, or policy, will allow an overcharge .

Ironic, isn't it?

I used to try to fight for my rights, but now I feel too old and tired.

I could try another line, but I have been happy with RCI for so many years that it is hard to think about changing. I think that most rules are the same industry wide. It is the inflexibility of following the rules, even in rare, unusual circumstances that troubles me. Where else is final payment 90 days before the reservation? Then they keep everything EVEN THE TAXES which they don't have to pay out if you cannot go. They also don't pay the travel agent if you can't go last minute. They keep everything, even the parts that weren't theirs!!

They will not transfer anything. This is just another case of "We must follow the rules. We must follow the rules. We must follow the rules." They don't even seem to know that there are people out there booking with them. People that sometimes make mistakes or need an adaptation of the general rules. Cruise lines don't give customer service. They provide customer handling: Customers are handled to meet the cruise lines needs. The cruise line does not provide service to meet the customers needs.

This is just my opinion, of course.

Dorie

Do you fly? Talk about paying up front the full fare - about a year in advance sometimes with absolutely no refund - perhaps a credit if you pay $75 - $100 per ticket to reschedule within a year on most airlines (I know - some of you have perfectly wonderful airlines that do everything and picks you up at home) that I have dealt with over the years.

If you take out travel insurance and have a real reason for not being able to travel - then you get your money back. As far as paying the travel agent - are you in the business? If so you know more than most of us about that - otherwise you are assuming or believing a sob story from an agent who has their own agenda.

The OP had second thoughts about the decision made a month ago - I think we all have done that. The problem is there were so many people gaming the system they had to change the rules.

Too bad for us - but I see it everywhere. More and more hotels are only giving you a break on price if you prepay a guarantee. Some restaurants ask for a CC to hold your reservation during busy times. The list goes on.

I think you'll like the JS better anyway even with 3 people. The bathroom is WAY nicer, so's the closet. There's so much more floor space and storage. Even with the sofa bed open, it's so easy to move around with all that space.

You'll all have double cruise points. You'll have a kettle in the room which we've actually begun using.

The only disadvantage is that 3 will be sharing a bathroom but if someone is desperate - go to a public toilet.

Maybe RCI is doing you a favor and you don't realize it yet.

Gina

Also, the showers in the gym/spa area are available to anyone free of charge. They are private showers...lots of fluffy towels available...very nice. My DH discovered these showers on our last cruise and never used the shower in our cabin !!!

I like cruising, but the unfair rules are beginning to get to me. If the general consumer population wouldn't stand for it, they wouldn't do it. I thought that the old rules were restrictive, but at least there was some accommodation after the magic 90 days.

Now, it feels like "We have your money, shut up and go away. We don't care if you feel like kicking us in the teeth the entire time you sail with us. No, it doesn't matter that we don't lose by this change. It breaks the rules! Sucks to be you! Have a nice day and enjoy your cruise."

I am seriously considering going back to land vacations. I cannot deal with the stress of a cruise anymore.

Dorie

The rules are the rules. You knew them (or should have) when you chose to book. Royal didn't spring them on you. You can't do what you want to do because the fare in the original booking cannot be decreased - even by downgrade - per policy. Had you done this before you final payment date, it would be another story. So, they can credit the third person because they do allow decreases due to cancellation of third/fourth persons but nothing else. You then have to pay the difference on the new booking.

Why are they doing this? Because shareholders - many of which are on here - demand they make a profit. Take a look at their filings from 2008, 2009 and then 2010. You will see one thing. Yes, in 2008 and 2009 sales took a big hit. But there was also another major expense - credits to consumer accounts. Refunds. A huge portion of these were due to price reductions after final payment. RCI was losing money.

And they do credit your taxes whenever you cancel. They have to. And if it is very last minute, they do still pay the travel agents.

I am certainy no expert and I understand that you want those two D1 cabins vs the one JS with no additional charge but I can see Royal Caribbeans side here.

You want to move 3 passengers to two cabins because it is cheaper now to book that way even with the single supplement. I get it. Problem is Royal Caribbean can book those two D 1's with at least 4 passengers and possibly up to 8 passengers depending on the room capacity. Those extra passengers will generate more in gratuities and on board spending than your three passengers (on average anyway).

Once you make final payment you are locked in unless you upgrade. That is the way the new rule works. It was great under the old rules when prices went down but that is history.

My advice, either pay the $900 for the extra room, privacy and two baths or enjoy that JS.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I appreciate your insight Jill, but the cost to book two D1s is not any cheaper than it would have been if I made that decision when I booked 45 days ago for that single D1 before I upgraded to the JS. I'm not trying to take advantage of any special last minute deals now to make this work.

If they allowed you to do this, they would have to refund the difference which is the problem. If they didn't process a credit, then it would be considered an overcharge which they absolutely won't do............. even though you're more than willing to pay more for the two cabins than they are currently charging.

It's okay for them to change fares as they see fit but there's no way their system, or policy, will allow an overcharge .

They would allow me to do this since they would credit the 3rd pax towards the second cabin. If I downgraded back to the D1 on the first cabin, they would be "overcharging" for the D1 which they stated they would do. I would have to fork up the difference of $900 for the difference on the 2nd D1 (connecting cabin).

The rules are the rules. You knew them (or should have) when you chose to book. Royal didn't spring them on you. You can't do what you want to do because the fare in the original booking cannot be decreased - even by downgrade - per policy. Had you done this before you final payment date, it would be another story. So, they can credit the third person because they do allow decreases due to cancellation of third/fourth persons but nothing else. You then have to pay the difference on the new booking.

Why are they doing this? Because shareholders - many of which are on here - demand they make a profit. Take a look at their filings from 2008, 2009 and then 2010. You will see one thing. Yes, in 2008 and 2009 sales took a big hit. But there was also another major expense - credits to consumer accounts. Refunds. A huge portion of these were due to price reductions after final payment. RCI was losing money.

And they do credit your taxes whenever you cancel. They have to. And if it is very last minute, they do still pay the travel agents.

Remember I'm not asking for any sort of refund or OBC since the two D1s are cheaper than the single JS. I'm just asking for a change in room configuration given it's availability and that the sailing is about to close in a few days. It's cheaper to have two D1s than one JS to begin with -- and as I've posted earlier, I'm not taking advantage of any special pricing to get two cheaper D1s. The pricing is consistent to what was available when I originally booked 45 days ago. Plus, I started in a D1 and then upgraded to a JS 4 weeks ago.

I think you'll like the JS better anyway even with 3 people. The bathroom is WAY nicer, so's the closet. There's so much more floor space and storage. Even with the sofa bed open, it's so easy to move around with all that space.

You'll all have double cruise points. You'll have a kettle in the room which we've actually begun using.

The only disadvantage is that 3 will be sharing a bathroom but if someone is desperate - go to a public toilet.

Maybe RCI is doing you a favor and you don't realize it yet.

Gina

Thanks Gina... A JS isn't bad at all, just disappointed on how RCCL would take your money for an upgrade and give you a hassle when you want to change room configuration even if I forfeited funds that would have been due back to me. The agent told me the real technicality is if they rebooked the two D1s, there's a standarding contracting clause that would have allowed me to cancel my bookings to receive a full refund even within the full payment due period.

Remember I'm not asking for any sort of refund or OBC since the two D1s are cheaper than the single JS. I'm just asking for a change in room configuration given it's availability and that the sailing is about to close in a few days. It's cheaper to have two D1s than one JS to begin with -- and as I've posted earlier, I'm not taking advantage of any special pricing to get two cheaper D1s. The pricing is consistent to what was available when I originally booked 45 days ago. Plus, I started in a D1 and then upgraded to a JS 4 weeks ago.

Is the single supplement less than the third person rate on the JS? I doubt that. But nevertheless, RCI could sell those two D1s to a min of 4 passengers PLUS your JS for the three in it now. For a total of 7 people. You are asking them to sell you the two D1s for 3 people and potentially resell your JS for 3 people. That means a total of 6. That is a loss of one person onboard spending money. Potentially up to four people lost. Why, as a business, would they let you do this without paying more?

Is the single supplement less than the third person rate on the JS? I doubt that. But nevertheless, RCI could sell those two D1s to a min of 4 passengers PLUS your JS for the three in it now. For a total of 7 people. You are asking them to sell you the two D1s for 3 people and potentially resell your JS for 3 people. That means a total of 6. That is a loss of one person onboard spending money. Potentially up to four people lost. Why, as a business, would they let you do this without paying more?

Even with the single supplement, two D1s are cheaper than one JS. The paying more is the "single" supplement for the second D1. I guess I should break down some rough figures... these aren't exact figures, but a good idea on order of magnitude.

Original booking:

One D1 with 3 Pax = $2,500

A few weeks later upgraded to JS +$1,100 add'l = $3,600 total paid

Two D1s (including single supplement on 2nd cabin) = $3,400 total

As you can see, the two D1s are cheaper and this pricing is not relying on any special last minute discounts and was available when I had booked originally 45 days ago. I agreed to forfeit the $200 credit difference just to make the switch. Now, they are asking me to pay an add'l $900 for a total of $4,500. I understand that they would theoretically make more money if the second cabin had 2 pax instead of 1, but I am paying a single supplement fee -- that's what it's for.

Thanks Gina... A JS isn't bad at all, just disappointed on how RCCL would take your money for an upgrade and give you a hassle when you want to change room configuration even if I forfeited funds that would have been due back to me. The agent told me the real technicality is if they rebooked the two D1s, there's a standarding contracting clause that would have allowed me to cancel my bookings to receive a full refund even within the full payment due period.

I imagine you were happy when you upgraded to the JS. Try to get back there.

Yeah, I know it is disappointing to not be allowed to change your booking when the prices change after final payment. Been there. Nevertheless, the line gets to make the rules. If I do not like the rules, I should not book (or at least cancel before final payment). If I am not satisfied with the price, I should not book it. I keep telling myself that when I see price drops I cannot get. Or new booking specials I cannot get. Or categories into which I cannot switch. It seem more satisfying if the prices went up after I booked, allowing me to tell myself I got the best possible deal, but even if that happened I would be paying the same amount. Being unhappy only hurts me and those around me.

Gina

Im with you, I want the double credit from a JS. I think the OP might decide they are happier once onboard. .. even if I didnt get the kettle. I now know Im supposed to ask for it due to CC.

I wish the JSs on Oasis were not such a large step up $$$ wise.

I imagine you were happy when you upgraded to the JS. Try to get back there.

Yeah, I know it is disappointing to not be allowed to change your booking when the prices change after final payment. Been there. Nevertheless, the line gets to make the rules. If I do not like the rules, I should not book (or at least cancel before final payment). If I am not satisfied with the price, I should not book it. I keep telling myself that when I see price drops I cannot get. Or new booking specials I cannot get. Or categories into which I cannot switch. It seem more satisfying if the prices went up after I booked, allowing me to tell myself I got the best possible deal, but even if that happened I would be paying the same amount. Being unhappy only hurts me and those around me.

The point is that the price never changed. D1 still has the same rate as when I booked originally. Thanks for you suggestion, I am working my way back to my happy place. ;)

The way they conduct business reinforces people with flexible travel plans to book at the very very very last minute. I already booked somewhat last minute at 45 days prior to sailing.

It turns out that 3-4 weeks prior to sailing is the best window to book. On top of that, book on Mon (C&A members) or Tues for your cruise so you can take advantage of their Royal Sales Event. Which occurs every week. You can save a whole lot and get higher cat cabins great rates.

That's good to know. I would love to cruise RC but their prices, with a few exceptions are so high and I'm not sure about issue of OBC if the price goes down. I'm toying with a booking next Spring. I would love to book the Serenades but will likely return to Carnival because of their Early Saver program (Price protection - if they lower the price you get a reduction, if before final payment or OBC after). I'm booking at the lowest level with the consideration of upgrading (pay extra) if something more appealing opens before cruise. Good luck.

That's good to know. I would love to cruise RC but their prices, with a few exceptions are so high and I'm not sure about issue of OBC if the price goes down. I'm toying with a booking next Spring. I would love to book the Serenades but will likely return to Carnival because of their Early Saver program (Price protection - if they lower the price you get a reduction, if before final payment or OBC after). I'm booking at the lowest level with the consideration of upgrading (pay extra) if something more appealing opens before cruise. Good luck.

I agree with you. RCCL shouldn't penalize people that book early.

Just so you know - I understand your pain. I was totally furious with a price reduction problem inflicted upon me last fall. It was a drastic reduction.

After a whole lot of back and forth between me and RCI and my feeling cheated, eventually a JS dropped just below what I had paid for a D1 and they allowed the upgrade - of course without refunding the difference to me which was fine with me. And then just prior to sailing, I got a D+ upgrade to a GS. All those hard feelings ended up being for nothing and things worked out better in the end than I could have imagined.

Just hang in there, don't let it get to you, and you may end up with such a positive experience none of this will matter to you. I've even ended up with the "right" stateroom attendant making my cruise so nice that I was happy I got the exact room I ended up with. The same can be said about the dining room. Sometimes we see our table as a horrible location but rather than have it moved, we take what we get, only to get the best waiter in the dining room.

Things will work out for the best. I happen to think a JS is THE best. :D

Gina

I just got $460 back from Carnival for my Early Saver booking on Carnival Spirit. That being said, I'd book Serenade in a heartbeat over Spirit even at a higher price. Although these 2 classes of ships are similar in size and age, the layout, comfort level, beauty and service don't compare. I have no idea what they could have been thinking when they designed the Spirit class of ships. It's not horrible....but it 's quite stupid and unappealing in many ways.

And by the way, the prices can be better on Radiance class (Serenade) depending on itinerary and time of year.

What did Spirit have that is better? Chocolate on your pillow and robes for every room. :rolleyes: No reason to book a cruise line in my opinion. Oh, and a bottle of wine per person allowed to be brought on board with a $10 corkage fee - again not a reason to book.

Book Serenade, you won't be sorry. It's not likely there will be price reductions in the Spring after final payment for her nice itineraries.

Gina

I just got $460 back from Carnival for my Early Saver booking on Carnival Spirit. That being said, I'd book Serenade in a heartbeat over Spirit even at a higher price. Although these 2 classes of ships are similar in size and age, the layout, comfort level, beauty and service don't compare. I have no idea what they could have been thinking when they designed the Spirit class of ships. It's not horrible....but it 's quite stupid and unappealing in many ways.

And by the way, the prices can be better on Radiance class (Serenade) depending on itinerary and time of year.

What did Spirit have that is better? Chocolate on your pillow and robes for every room. :rolleyes: No reason to book a cruise line in my opinion. Oh, and a bottle of wine per person allowed to be brought on board with a $10 corkage fee - again not a reason to book.

Book Serenade, you won't be sorry. It's not likely there will be price reductions in the Spring after final payment for her nice itineraries.

Gina

If you book an "Early Saver Rate" with Carnival, you do get a refund if price comes down. However, you also risk losing your deposit if you were to cancel.

If the two D1s are a total of $3400 with the single suppliment what is the $900 for? Not that it may matter but has the price of the JS gone done $900?

I wondered the same thing. Why are they asking for $900 more if the price is now $200 less?

I think the major problem, well actually there are two problems, with what you want to do.

1.) Cruiselines just don't let you "downgrade" after final payment. The other poster who mentioned that the computer would recognize an over payment if you downgraded (because two D1's are less than you are paying for the JS, and

2.) After final payment, name/cabin changes can be made (within the same category for no extra charge, or you can pay for an upsell), but one of the original passengers has to be on the original booking. Since you would, in essence, be putting a completely new name (yours) in the second D1 cabin, it's like an entirely new booking. So that would mean since you can't double book yourself, you'd have to cancel yourself out of the old booking (with a penalty since you're in penalty phase) and rebook yourself as a new booking into the other D1 cabin.

I may have missed it, but how far out is your cruise? Is it worth cancelling everything and doing an entirely new booking. How much would you lose as of now? If it's less than the $900 they want to charge you (and again, I'm not sure where that $900 is originating from), then that may be your best bet.

I understand that they would theoretically make more money if the second cabin had 2 pax instead of 1, but I am paying a single supplement fee -- that's what it's for.

The single supplement is only for them to get the same fare for the cabin as with two people in them. Actually it´s just like with a Hotel room, you pay a certain rate for a room / cabin regardless if there´s one or two persons in there. The only difference between a Hotel room and a ships cabin is the cruiseline breaks the amount down to a per person rate and then puts on a single supplement if there´s only one occupant.

However the reason for the cruiseline to rather sell the cabin to two is a likewise higher onboard revenue than from a single person. You are not making that up with single supplement.

If you book an "Early Saver Rate" with Carnival, you do get a refund if price comes down. However, you also risk losing your deposit if you were to cancel.

I did get a refund - in the form of on board credit. And if you have them print out an invoice on the ship, you will see this form of OBC is listed as fully refundable. And that we did....got most of it back in cash the last night of the cruise. :D If you don't take it out in cash, they will automatically give you a check after the cruise.

The only OBC we had that was not refundable was an additional $100 from being shareholders. That is the OBC they automatically use first for any on board purchases.

You don't have to lose your deposit if you change the booking date - just like with Royal's "next cruise" you can change the date to any other cruise. But...there is a $50 rebooking fee which I consider cheap insurance. This is all irrelevant though if you book a cruise you know you want to do. Which we did.

Gina

I wondered the same thing. Why are they asking for $900 more if the price is now $200 less?

I think the major problem, well actually there are two problems, with what you want to do.

1.) Cruiselines just don't let you "downgrade" after final payment. The other poster who mentioned that the computer would recognize an over payment if you downgraded (because two D1's are less than you are paying for the JS, and

2.) After final payment, name/cabin changes can be made (within the same category for no extra charge, or you can pay for an upsell), but one of the original passengers has to be on the original booking. Since you would, in essence, be putting a completely new name (yours) in the second D1 cabin, it's like an entirely new booking. So that would mean since you can't double book yourself, you'd have to cancel yourself out of the old booking (with a penalty since you're in penalty phase) and rebook yourself as a new booking into the other D1 cabin.

I may have missed it, but how far out is your cruise? Is it worth cancelling everything and doing an entirely new booking. How much would you lose as of now? If it's less than the $900 they want to charge you (and again, I'm not sure where that $900 is originating from), then that may be your best bet.

They would only credit the third pax price towards the D2 and I would have to pay add'l $900 to get the second D1 cabin. If I downgraded back to D1 from JS, I wouldn't be able to apply any of it towards the second D2. I shouldn't have upgraded to JS to begin with, but I didn't realize cabin assignments change so much, and so often before sailing date.

Cruise is next week, so they have plenty of cabins to fill if they could. We're not going to be sailing full, which is nice for us... more ship to love. :)

Archived