Technical question on S & R class refits

For my HAL wikipedia project, I'm wondering if anyone can explain when the forward part of the fitness centers on HAL's S and R class vessels was enlarged. Namely, when and why the extension was made to move the fore wall and windows out to be flush with the bridge on Navigation deck. This remains unreflected in published HAL deck plans but is obvious from photos (please see before and after pics below).

Was this part of the first phase of Signature of Excellence upgrades, undertaken from 2003? Perhaps to allow more spa square footage? Any information would be appreciated, as I'd like to present the most accurate information as possible.

Thank you!

John

Before:

HAL_Volendam-before.jpg

After:

HAL_Volendam-after.jpg

I don't remember the exact year for every R & S class but it was done during one of the SOE upgrades in the mid 2000's. I want to say between 2003 and 2006 but I might be off a couple of years one way or the other. It was part of enlarging the Greenhouse Spa and it's offerings. It really blocks the view we once had from the front windows of the Crow's Nest and when first done it wasn't one of the more popular changes in terms of what it did to the lines of the ships. :(

originally the there was only the gym which went across the entire front of the lido deck

then hal decided to add the thermal spa -- which is nothing like the ones on the vista and signature classs ships -- it is really just a hot tub -- and also added was the heated loungers, etc

thus they needed more space to get all this in -- so they added onto the front and the gym was moved all to the port side

can't remember the year

Thank you both for the input. I was fortunate enough to sail on Zaandam in December 2001 and remember that unobstructed view from the Crow's Nest. From today's pics, it appears there's a great brown expanse when looking forward. Unfortunate indeed.

Thanks again for the info. Regardless of the specific year for each ship (it appears to have been implemented on all eight S & R class vessels), do we know if this expansion was done in conjunction with the first SoE upgrades (along with the addition of the Culinary Arts Center, Pinnacle Grill, Neptune Lounge, etc?

I remember noticing it for the first time when I sailed on the Volendam in July 2006. My previous cruises had been Maasdam, June 2005, Rotterdam June 2004, and Rotterdam 2003. I do not remember it being on any of those ships for those sailings.

I hope that narrows it down for you, even a little bit.

check out this site for a description of the Maasdam -- really strange!!

http://www.ships-info.info/cruise-Maasdam.htm

Definitely strange! :p My favorite part:

"Maasdam is made for all kind of people, so staterooms are not the most important thing on board. The public places are offering large number of entertainment combined with calm places of large gardens."

There's also a fabulous reference to "getting rest after a hard day on board" in the restaurants! ...I hope they're not talking about the servers! :D

and the football field:

Maasdam has a lot of entertainments and sports activities. You can play football, basketball, volleyball, tennis, swimming and golf in some of the fields on board. Also the fitness hall is equipped for people, who want to look good and to continue their body building programs even on board. The spa centers are open more than 18 hours daily, and will care about your beauty. Of course the night life is one of the most important things for all young people, and on board of Maasdam they will find 2 disco-clubs,

Archived