Barcelona Flavors, Food, Delights: LA Times Story

TLCOhio

From the Los Angeles Times this coming weekend, they have this headline: "Barcelona in all its flavors" with these travel story highlights: "The best way to get to know the culture of any place is to eat your way through it. This is especially true in Barcelona. Catalan food is such a good reflection of the culture. Historically, Catalans have had their kitchens invaded by a diverse crowd, including the Visigoths and the French. The result is a cuisine that's both unpretentious and sophisticated, much like the Catalans themselves."

The subhead says: "Get a lesson in Catalan culture and cuisine at the huge La Boqueria food market." This travel story gives excellent background on their foods, history, customs, etc. The author notes: "if you're looking to understand the soul of Catalonia, start with the food." There are more than 40 markets in Barcelona and the best known is La Boqueria, one of the largest food markets in Europe. Interesting story and background for our time before and after our upcoming June 7-19 cruise in the Med.

Full story at:

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/topofthetimes/features/la-tr-catalancuisine-20110425,0,4810598.story

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks Terry, we are from Los Angeles and will be looking for it this weekend. We will be doing the Magic in July.(7/12 - 7/24) we will spend 4 days in Barcelona. We are still looking for the best things to do there? Do you have any great places to see or visit? Thanks, rlyans

Thanks Terry, we are from Los Angeles and will be looking for it this weekend. We will be doing the Magic in July.(7/12 - 7/24) we will spend 4 days in Barcelona. We are still looking for the best things to do there? Do you have any great places to see or visit? Thanks, rlyans

Hi, Southern Cal friend! That Magic is a big, new ship, right? 3700 passengers, plus crew of nearly 1400?

On Barcelona, we first and last visited there in 1998. Here are my notes, tips on this great and unique city, plus some of my pictures below:

BARCELONA IS SPAIN'S SECOND CITY, but it bubbles with special vibrancy in its narrow Gothic Quarter alleys and along the grand boulevards. This top Mediterranean trading center is also the capital of the proud region of Catalunya. With Franco's fascism now history, Catalunyan flags wave once again and the stirring, patriotic Sardana dances are a weekly event at the cathedral. Barcelona has had an illustrious past as a Roman colony, Visigothic capital and 14th-century maritime power. Just enjoy it. LIVE IT! IF YOU'RE IN THE MOOD TO SURRENDER TO A CITY'S CHARMS, LET IT BE BARCELONA.

Stroll down the main street, the RAMBLAS. This grand boulevard, more than a Champs-Elysees, takes you from the elegant Placa de Catalunya to the rough port, a 20-minute walk. You'll find the grand opera house, ornate churches, plain prostitutes, pickpockets, flower stalls, artists, street mimes, an outdoor bird market, classy cafes, great shopping, and people eager to charge more for a shoeshine than you paid for the shoes. Rent a white metal chair for 50 pesetas and observe. The Ramblas, which means "stream" in Arabic, is an endless current of people and action. Duck in the lively produce market on the Ramblas. Best in the morning, Mercat de Sant Josep is an explosion of chicken legs, bags of live snails, stiff fish, delicious oranges, and sleepy dogs. Try a tortilla espanola (potato omelet) and cafe con leche in the market's cafe. Wander deep in the Gothic Quarter, a tangled grab-bag of undiscovered and grand squares, schoolyard plazas, art nouveau storefronts, baby flea markets, musty and classy antique shops, and balconies with jungles behind wrought iron bars.

The centerpiece of the Gothic Quarter is its colossal CATHEDRAL, a fine example of Catalan Gothic, started in about 1300 and completed 600 years later. Rather than stretching toward heaven, it makes a point to be simply massive. Don't miss the cloister with its wispy garden. Nearby, the Picasso Museum is on the pilgrimage route of modern art lovers. Far and away the best collection of Picasso's (1881-1973) work in Spain, this is a great chance to see his earliest sketches and paintings and better understand his brilliance. He'd mastered the ability to paint realistically when just a teenager. Follow his progress as his skill geometrically increased...to cubism.

GAUDI, another artistic genius, left his mark on Barcelona's architecture. The city is a scrapbook of the galloping gables and organic curves of this hometown boy. A devoted Catalan and Catholic, Gaudi's toil was for his soil. Completely immersed in each project, he often lived on-site. Gaudi's most famous and persistent work is the unfinished Sagrada Familia (Sacred Family) church. From 1891 to 1925, Gaudi worked on this monumental church of eight 100 meter spires that will someday dance around a 170-meter granddaddy spire. With the cranes, rusty forests of rebar, and scaffolding requiring a powerful faith, it offers a fun look at a living, growing, bigger-than-life building. Construction passed the mid-point in 2010 with some of the project's greatest challenges remaining and an anticipated completion date of 2026—the centennial of Gaudí's death. The basílica has a long history of dividing the citizens of Barcelona—over the initial possibility it might compete with Barcelona's cathedral, over Gaudí's design itself. Take the lift or the stairs up to the dizzy lookout bridging two spires for a great city view and a gargoyle's-eye perspective of the loopy church.

Barcelona is a walker's paradise. It has old and new, sea and mountain, postmodern and primitive. To saunter through its Gothic Quarter, along the dark, narrow streets and past the ancient artisans' shops, is to be transported back to the Middle Ages. Walk up Passeig de Gràcia, past the chic boutiques and the daring, whimsical buildings by Antonio Gaudí. This city is known as Spain's capital of design. This city spruced itself up considerably for the 1992 Olympic Summer Games, a face-lift that is still paying off. Dozens of old factories and seedy restaurants that blocked access to the waterfront were torn down, creating a Mediterranean beach marvelous for strolling and sunbathing. Near the Old Port are a new aquarium and an Imax theater, excellent diversions for those with kids in tow. In 1995, the city opened the Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art, a glistening white sun-drenched building designed by the American Richard Meier.

The Gothic Quarter resembles a maze, with surprises wherever one turns. On torrid summer days, the Cathedral's well-shaded cloister, with its cool stone and many plants, is the perfect escape. Cave-like bars, with sausages hanging from the ceiling, look like they came straight out of a Cervantes novel. The romantic should not miss two well-preserved squares: the Plaça del Pi, known for its cafes and guitar-strumming troubadors, and the Plaça de Sant Felipe Neri, an oasis of serenity with a gentle fountain.

Dine at the usual hour, for those in Barcelona, of 11 pm along with the waterfront. The great seafood never tasted better in that setting, feeling the pulse of people, fun and enjoyment.

Does this help to get you excited? THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Along the beach in Barcelona, here is the view of the large whale, new buildings, etc.:

BarcelonaBeachBronzeWhale.jpg

In Barcelona, here is the view of this harbor area, up the Rambala, the Christopher Columbus statue, etc. Lots of excitement and action in this town.:

BarcelonaDockingColStatute.jpg

This is the famed and historic 700-year-old plus main Cathedral in Barcelona.:

BarcelonaCathedralFront.jpg

From high over Barcelona on the Olympic site, here is the view towards Gaudi's Cathedral that has been under construction for many years.:

BarcelChurchTowersLongShot.jpg

The Rambala in Barcelona has so much to see and enjoy. Lots of entertainers, shopping options, people-watching, etc. This is a “JOY” point for this great and historic city.:

BarcelRambalaStrPerforming.jpg

Here in Barcelona, this is another view of Gaudi's Cathedral that was taken in 1998.:

BarcelCathFamilaGaudi.jpg

Terry, thanks so much it really does get us excited! We are getting very excited to see Barcelona and sail on Carnival's newest ship "Magic" yes it is a big one. The largest we have ever sailed on. My wife is really excited to stay a few day in Barcelona. (Barcelona is the home to Pau Gasol of the LA Lakers and she loves him to no end. I must also say GO LAKERS. We we also wondering if you have ever been to Montserrat? Do you think it would be worth a visit?

Also I have spent the last hour reading you posts on your Norway cruise WOW so detailed and full of life. I lived in Norway for 2 years many years ago and lived in Tronheim and up above the arctic circle in Sortland (Lofoten islands) wow what memories it brought back. Some of your pictures I have been in (too) and we are going to go back and do a driving tour of Norway in a year or two.

Thanks for you postings, rlyans and GO LAKERS

Terry, thanks so much it really does get us excited! We are getting very excited to see Barcelona and sail on Carnival's newest ship "Magic". Also I have spent the last hour reading you posts on your Norway cruise. WOW. so detailed and full of life. I lived in Norway for 2 years many years ago and lived in Tronheim and up above the arctic circle in Sortland (Lofoten islands) wow what memories it brought back. Some of your pictures I have been in (too) and we are going to go back and do a driving tour of Norway in a year or two. Thanks for you postings, rlyans and GO LAKERS

THANKS for the nice comments on the Norway posting/pictures from last summer. Great to know of your connections to both Trondheim and the Lofoten Islands. Very impressed by both of these places and the rest of these wonderful Norway cities, regions and areas!

With LeBron James gone from the Cavs, I'm not following the NBA much this year. I'll wait to see who's in the finals. Then, maybe I'll tune in. Just checked the final standings and see that the Chicago Bulls are back, having the best regular season mark. Should be an exciting playoff battle. Mid June is a long way off to be having the finals at that late of a date in a long, long season.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,350 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Thanks so much for a headsup on the upcoming article will look for it....We will be in Barcelona for 2 days post cruise the end of August a Saturday and a Sunday, will all the markets mentioned above be closed on Sunday??

Thanks so much for a headsup on the upcoming article will look for it....We will be in Barcelona for 2 days post cruise the end of August a Saturday and a Sunday, will all the markets mentioned above be closed on Sunday??

La Boqueria is closed on Sunday so you will definitely want to visit it on Saturday ;) breakfast is great there - as is lunch :D

Hello from Barcelona.:)

TLCOhio Hi, I can only say one thing: Bravo !!!!!

A magnificent exhibition of what can be enjoyed in Barcelona.

Ah! indeed all markets are closed on Sunday.

Health for all.

Edu.

Hello from Barcelona.:) TLCOhio Hi, I can only say one thing: Bravo !!!!! A magnificent exhibition of what can be enjoyed in Barcelona. Ah! indeed all markets are closed on Sunday. Health for all. Edu.

kazu: La Boqueria is closed on Sunday so you will definitely want to visit it on Saturday breakfast is great there - as is lunch

Our flight arrives into Barcelona on Monday morning and our cruise departs late Tuesday afternoon. BUT' date=' our cruise returns on Sunday, June 19 and air flight departs around noon the next day. Clearly, we'll need to see La Boqueria in the time BEFORE starting our cruise. [b']Sounds like great fun.[/b] Maybe we can do breakfast there on Tuesday before going later in the day to depart on our cruise. Don't want to miss any meals.

THANKS for the added info and nice comments! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,760 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Our flight arrives into Barcelona on Monday morning and our cruise departs late Tuesday afternoon. BUT, our cruise returns on Sunday, June 19 and air flight departs around noon the next day. Clearly, we'll need to see La Boqueria in the time BEFORE starting our cruise. Sounds like great fun. Maybe we can do breakfast there on Tuesday before going later in the day to depart on our cruise. Don't want to miss any meals.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,760 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In every bar in the Boqueria eat well, but in my opinion the best is the bar "Pinocho. " :)

Bon appetit!!;)

Terry, thanks so much it really does get us excited! We are getting very excited to see Barcelona and sail on Carnival's newest ship "Magic" yes it is a big one. The largest we have ever sailed on. My wife is really excited to stay a few day in Barcelona. (Barcelona is the home to Pau Gasol of the LA Lakers and she loves him to no end. I must also say GO LAKERS. We we also wondering if you have ever been to Montserrat? Do you think it would be worth a visit?

Also I have spent the last hour reading you posts on your Norway cruise WOW so detailed and full of life. I lived in Norway for 2 years many years ago and lived in Tronheim and up above the arctic circle in Sortland (Lofoten islands) wow what memories it brought back. Some of your pictures I have been in (too) and we are going to go back and do a driving tour of Norway in a year or two.

Thanks for you postings, rlyans and GO LAKERS

Hi rlyans,

We visited Barcelona last summer and we went to Montserrat. We enjoyed it very much and thought it was interesting. I was glad we made time to go.

We were only in Barcelona for one day, so to maximize our time, we used Spanish Trails Adventure for a wonderful day. We went to Montserrat in the morning, then our driver/guide took us to a wonderful Catalonian restaurant for lunch. The food was delicious and the wine was, too! I learned to drink from a Porron, very fun!

In the afternoon we did a city highlights tour and visited many of the famous sites. We walked through the Market and it was alive with energy!

I am a huge Lakers fan, too! Will be watching the game today! Go Lakers!!

I like Pau Gasol, too. My favorite is Derek Fisher.

Enjoy your visit to Barcelona. I hope to go back someday.

A fellow Southern Californian!

Hi rlyans,

We visited Barcelona last summer and we went to Montserrat. We enjoyed it very much and thought it was interesting. I was glad we made time to go.

We were only in Barcelona for one day, so to maximize our time, we used Spanish Trails Adventure for a wonderful day. We went to Montserrat in the morning, then our driver/guide took us to a wonderful Catalonian restaurant for lunch. The food was delicious and the wine was, too! I learned to drink from a Porron, very fun!

In the afternoon we did a city highlights tour and visited many of the famous sites. We walked through the Market and it was alive with energy!

I am a huge Lakers fan, too! Will be watching the game today! Go Lakers!!

I like Pau Gasol, too. My favorite is Derek Fisher.

Enjoy your visit to Barcelona. I hope to go back someday.

A fellow Southern Californian!

If you know porron drink wine, you just need to dance the Sardana to be a americatalán.

Ah! I am also a fan of the Lakers.

Edu.

Our flight arrives into Barcelona on Monday morning and our cruise departs late Tuesday afternoon. BUT, our cruise returns on Sunday, June 19 and air flight departs around noon the next day. Clearly, we'll need to see La Boqueria in the time BEFORE starting our cruise. Sounds like great fun. Maybe we can do breakfast there on Tuesday before going later in the day to depart on our cruise. Don't want to miss any meals.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We too are limited for time since we will only be there 2 days post cruise docking on Saturday morning and not leaving until Monday morning so will have to make sure to go to the market on Saturday...Would love to know what will be open on Sunday and some suggestions of what to do ?

Archived