Standy Sailing

CRZCRAZY

We had circumstances at the last minute that allowed us to take off for the weekend and tried to get on the Paradise for a three day. We paid a deposit (the highest fare that was on the ship) and would be refunded any that wasn't used for a cheaper grade cabin. We didn't get a call of any cancellations, and since we would be in Long Beach our PVP told us to go to the port and wait to see if there were any no-shows. After waiting all day, the person in charge came out to tell us that she just checked with Miami and there were no cancellations. We did see several people leave about 4pm and asked what was the story with them, and was told they may not have had proper documentation to get on the ship. I thought, ok, there's a couple cabins available, but she told us they can't give us those because that person can meet the ship the next morning in Ensenada and get their room. I can see that, but the info the PVP gave us about no-shows isn't good info. If you end up in a situation where you try to go on standby, you'll only get a cabin if it is officially canceled by Miami. If you do get on, you don't get a bargain fare, it's full fare. We got a pack and go rate for next month that's actually cheaper than what we would have gotten last weekend on standby.

So don't believe it if a PVP says you can get a cabin if there are any no-shows. It isn't that easy.

We did have a nice weekend in Long Beach anyway, was good to get away from the house.

I've never done a last minute cruise, but would be interested to hear more about it. What is the latest you can get to the port to try to get onboard? Are the fares really cheap in most cases if you at the last second? Would love to get more information on this. I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Galveston, so it's something I might be able to do in the future. I'm so sorry you didn't get onboard. I'm glad you did have a nice weekend in LB tho.

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding... there's a difference between a 'no show' and someone canceling. A no show passenger still has the opportunity of meeting the ship at it's next port and continuing the journey. A cancellation has called Miami and told them that they can not make the cruise for whatever reason... injury, sickness, death in the family, etc...

Sounds to me like your PVP was quite accurate in what he/she told you...

:)

I would have had to pay the standard fare if we got onboard, no discount for going standby. There were 2 other couples trying to go standby, but since we got there at noon, we were first on the list in front of them so we had a better chance. I wouldn't recommend going standby, but we didn't have much choice as we only get the chance once every three weeks becuse of treatments, and had to wait till after the one treatment to make sure everything was OK. This next cycle, we got the OK two weeks before the cruise date so we're confident everything will be good so we booked a Pack&Go rate which is a lot cheaper.

We sat there until 5:15 and the ship sailed at 5:30, so they wait till the last minute to see if anything opens up. Since you don't save anything and in some cases it can actually be more expensive, there really isn't any advantage to doing it. The best deal is to look for the Pack&go deals on ships in a port near you that you can get to with little notice. Even if the sailing is taken off the Carnival website, cabins may be available. We called on Tuesday and there were 2 cabins but they were gone Wednesday after the doctor visit so we tried the standby. You can always call Carnival and if there is a cabin available they can book it up till sailing time. Stories on here and other sites that say they have to close booking 2 days before aren't true, Carnival can add a booking any time up until sailing, so a phone call a day or two before sailing can't hurt.

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding... there's a difference between a 'no show' and someone canceling. A no show passenger still has the opportunity of meeting the ship at it's next port and continuing the journey. A cancellation has called Miami and told them that they can not make the cruise for whatever reason... injury, sickness, death in the family, etc...

Sounds to me like your PVP was quite accurate in what he/she told you...

:)

My PVP told me I could go down to the port and wait in case there were any no-shows. He thought I could get one of those cabins when in fact they have to be actual cancellations.

I would have had to pay the standard fare if we got onboard, no discount for going standby.
Carnival really would have zero incentive to discount the fare. The no-show/cancellation is not getting any refund, so it is not as if Carnival is out any money.

I would have had to pay the standard fare if we got onboard, no discount for going standby. .

Thats true, they do not discount last minute, unless its a official price.

We have been telling people on CC do not show up at the port, it has to be thru Carnival on the phone.

Stories on here and other sites that say they have to close booking 2 days before aren't true, Carnival can add a booking any time up until sailing, so a phone call a day or two before sailing can't hurt.

I want to emphsize this bad rumor, but I know there is no chance of putting it to rest. There is no such thing as because of 9/11 you have to book at least 2 or 3 days ahead of time. This is not true.

I was told that even though a cancellation has to come from Miami, since I was there and was first on the list (the day of the sailing), if there had been a cancellation I would have gotten it. If I waited at home or elsewhere, I was told they wouldn't call me past the morning of the sailing, because of travel time they would offer it to anyone waiting at the pier. The agent there checked with Miami at 5pm which would have only allowed anyone at the pier to take the offer. She said they do fill cabins that way, but not often. We didn't have much else to do that day so we figured we didn't have anything to loose.

Carnival really would have zero incentive to discount the fare. The no-show/cancellation is not getting any refund, so it is not as if Carnival is out any money.

Yea, but wouldn't they be losing revenue by not reselling the cabin, not to mention gambling, drinks, excursions, etc. We're talking about Carnival here, and the possibility of thousands of dollars in revenue.

I'll GUARANTEE you that Carnival DOES sell cabins on the pier. On a recent cruise, my cabin was sold at the pier, and I was upgraded to a balcony, from an inside. (They sold my inside, but didn't bother to tell me, or the embarkation crew,,,,but that's another story!) Bottom line,,,they sold my cabin ON THE PIER, so there is absolutely NO government regulation requiring the 24/48/72 or whatever, hour notice. (Perhaps a 2 hour notice, before sailing)

"SKY"

Archived