sleep apnea machine (2 threads merged)

beebee

I have some concerns about the fact that my husband has to take his sleep apnea machine on our cruise to Europe in May so I decided to take a chance and see if anyone has had any experience with taking this machine on a flight, especially overseas. The machine does work as a carry on but someone said that if we took it with us, we might really get held up in security since it is kind of a different looking type of machine. Someone else suggested that we pack it in our luggage but it is a little bulky and has a little weight to it. I was hoping that maybe someone could share with us any experience they might have had with taking the machine with them. Leaving it at home is not an option.

Tahnks for any help.

I have some concerns about the fact that my husband has to take his sleep apnea machine on our cruise to Europe in May so I decided to take a chance and see if anyone has had any experience with taking this machine on a flight, especially overseas. The machine does work as a carry on but someone said that if we took it with us, we might really get held up in security since it is kind of a different looking type of machine. Someone else suggested that we pack it in our luggage but it is a little bulky and has a little weight to it. I was hoping that maybe someone could share with us any experience they might have had with taking the machine with them. Leaving it at home is not an option.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for any help.

TSA in the United States is well aware of Sleep Apnea machines and handle them with a standard policy. You will not have a problem with the machine as a carry on. There is no reason to worry in the US over the machines.. Just let the TSA employees know when you are in line.I definitely would not pack them in checked luggage...

At the security station they ask to have it taken out of the case and it goes through the x ray machine. Then the one of the tsa's take it and wand it and briefly check it over for chemicals and then give it back and you pack it back in it's case and that's it. Make sure no distilled water is left in the reservoir though or you could end up with a mess. Also most CPAP machines can run on European or American voltage without any problem but if you run on European plugs you will need the proper adaptors to plug into the end of the CPAP machine and then into the outlet.

I have some concerns about the fact that my husband has to take his sleep apnea machine on our cruise to Europe in May so I decided to take a chance and see if anyone has had any experience with taking this machine on a flight, especially overseas. The machine does work as a carry on but someone said that if we took it with us, we might really get held up in security since it is kind of a different looking type of machine. Someone else suggested that we pack it in our luggage but it is a little bulky and has a little weight to it. I was hoping that maybe someone could share with us any experience they might have had with taking the machine with them. Leaving it at home is not an option. Tahnks for any help.

Last summer going through Chicago and London airports on the way to Copenhagen and back, all worked fine for carrying my CPAP machine and going through airport security. They have an awareness of these machines, know how to check them quickly, etc. On the ship, you might notify them in advance so that they can provide distilled water. I bought along some extension cords as on most ships, the handy cabin plug options tend to be limited. All worked fine. YES, you can take the machine along easily.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,370 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The CPAP does not count as one of the two personal items allowed for carry-ons. DH has carted his to London from Cleveland, from Budapest home, and on flights across the U.S., along with two other items. He has had the CPAP bag inspected several times, but, as my Ohio neighbor has pointed out, that extra inspection is not a big deal.

It remains to be seen how EasyJet or another European low-cost carrier deals with CPAPs....can anyone post on their experience using these airlines and carrying on a CPAP?

I second what the previous responder said. My husband has been carrying his CPAP on flights for years. He always carries it with him in case the luggage gets lost, never puts it in checked bags. Sometimes TSA will take the machine and swab it, but they quickly return it and I have not found that it takes any more time to go through security with a CPAP than a laptop. I have asked them on occasion about CPAP machines and they say they see alot of them. Dont worry, it will be fine.

My husband has taken his CPAP through airports in Canada, the US, the Carribbean and Italy. Never had a problem anywhere. And because it is medical equipment, it is treated separate from other carry-ons, so he has still been able to bring his regular carry-on bag as well. He's nver been asked to open it at any airport. And leaving it at home is never an option. I need my beauty sleep!

My DH travels with his Bi-pap machine. They do take it out of the case at the airport.

As far as I know, Celebrity, like Royal Caribbean, provided distilled water AND an extension cord for free. Just call special needsor have your Travel Agent call them for you.

Unlike another line who shall remain nameless, RCCL does not try to make a profit from the passengers medical needs.

I always tell security that I am carrying the C-pap as I arrive at the line. I also carry the RX and the instruction manual.

Celebrity provides water( $2.50) per gallon and an extension cord. I also carry my own, just in case. Never had a problem in 20+ cruises.

I wonder if its possible to somehow plug in a CPAP machine on the plane? We are on an overnight flight to Rome and my DH is just convinced he can plug in to sleep on the plane. Does anyone know if that's possible? Thanks

If you have the plug-in converter that goes in the cigarette-lighter type of plug on the airliner AND you are sitting in a seat with such a plug below, then, YES, you could, maybe. Don't know how much "juice" your CPAP machine draws. Those types of airline plug/converter works for my laptop as we are flying, but it is not a high-powered source of electric.

On the original question, last summer going through Chicago and London airports on the way to Copenhagen and back, all worked fine for carrying my CPAP machine and going through airport security. They have an awareness of these machines, know how to check them quickly, etc. On the ship, you might notify them in advance so that they can provide distilled water. I bought along some extension cords as on most ships, the handy cabin plug options tend to be limited. All worked fine. YES, you can take the machine along easily.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,370 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

I wonder if its possible to somehow plug in a CPAP machine on the plane? We are on an overnight flight to Rome and my DH is just convinced he can plug in to sleep on the plane. Does anyone know if that's possible? Thanks

As a CPAP patient, I really don't think the other passengers would be very happy with someone using a machine on a plane.

As a CPAP patient, I really don't think the other passengers would be very happy with someone using a machine on a plane.

Why? It's lot less noisy than some of the snoring I've heard.......or are you talking about the use of a mask???:eek:

I noticed no one so far has commented on EASYJET allowing CPAP , not counting it as extra baggage, it will be interesting to hear their take on it. I have been told that it cannot be looked on as such because it is a medical need!

We were on EASYJET last MAY and they are very hot on charging for extra, even had to stuff my purse into my carry on or pay extra. We would not fly with them if could get as cheap a fare elsewhere, we really dislike them. Having said that , we have booked them again on line , paying alittle extra this time for luggage. :p

Nowadays, I find TSA just glances at my CPAP. If you carry it by itself, because it is a medical device, it is not part of your carryon limit. If you do encounter an inspection, you have the right to request fresh gloves on the inspector, and a fresh pad on the sensor wand. If you carry it in your carryon luggage (as I do), please take it out (along with your laptop) and have the case open for inspection. By all means, don't push trying to claim carrying water as a "medical necessity". Stay cool, and be helpful.

As to the overnight flight, I would doubt that a CPAP with humidifier could be powered by a plane's 12V system. But you could remove the humidifier (if so designed...check with you CPAP provider) and just the CPAP alone might work fine.

As to distilled water. I found this to be either a non issue or a great problem on certain cruise lines. Some will provide it at no cost, and another ship of the same cruise line might charge you. I used distilled water because that is what I was told to do. Then I discovered that Costco's Kirkland Signature water works fine. Their KS brand water leaves very very little residue. If you are on a long sail then don't be afraid to ask you cabin steward for some white vinegar from the galley to clean the CPAP tank. This has never been a problem to get. Some ships have complimentary drinking water. Use it, and clean with white vinegar from time to time. A little baking soda will sweeten up the tank if necessary. I will pack several bottles of KS water in my checked luggage, or I'll buy some at the first port that has a Costco. I've found other brands of drinking water leave huge residues. Your experience may vary.

Shipboard cabin 110v electric receptacles can be challenging. Several cruises ago I found an adapter for sale in the ship's store (where they sell shoe strings etc). It adapts from the ship's 220v round receptacle to the US 110v design. I carry a 25' 12/3 flat extension cord with me. I plug the cord into the 220v-110v adapter which is kept plugged into a 220v receptacle. During the day I remove the cord to avoid trip hazards, and I use the adapter to power my laptop and or my cell phone. By the way, make sure you keep your cell phone off or you will connect with the ship's "tower" and get a hefty bill from your cell provider when you return.

I pack my hose and mask in quart Zip Lock bags. I also carry an over the door clothes hook on which I hang the hose and mask (usually on the towel bar) during the day. I've bought several of these...I forget to pack them when I disembark! By the way, I rinse my hose and mask out occasionally with Listerine...I like the green mint flavor. You can buy the travel size Listerine at many drug stores, or go online to sites like: http://www.minimus.biz/

Another tip. I carry a terry cloth wash cloth that I place under my CPAP to avoid damaging furniture. I've also used the cloth to cover my suitcase when I've had to flip it upside down to use as a "night stand".

Enjoy your cruise!

Eddie M

Why? It's lot less noisy than some of the snoring I've heard.......or are you talking about the use of a mask???:eek:

I'm talking about the noise from the machine, you may be used to it but on an enclosed environment on a plane I don't think so. I would personally never think of using it on a plane but thats me...

I'm talking about the noise from the machine, you may be used to it but on an enclosed environment on a plane I don't think so. I would personally never think of using it on a plane but thats me...

Oh well I guess that could be true! I've always been amazed at how quiet my DH's machine is. He has had only had it for about a year so maybe newer ones are quieter....or maybe its louder than I thought....

From what I'm reading I don't think it would work on the plane anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.:)

Oh well I guess that could be true! I've always been amazed at how quiet my DH's machine is. He has had only had it for about a year so maybe newer ones are quieter....or maybe its louder than I thought.... From what I'm reading I don't think it would work on the plane anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.:)

My machine is about 18-20 months old and is very, very quiet. Can't hear it, in fact.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,390 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

I' m a CPAP user, never had a problem.

I always had the original physician letter which prescribes such equipment due to snoring and sleep apnea; and always have the CPAP in its designated carrying bag. It's always treated as a essential medical equipment; only once did I have to unpack it and show it to a security attendent.

If you notify ''special guests services'' with the cruise lines, upon arrival, you'll find an extra extension cord anf a big jug of distilles water.

I've never used it on a plane...but I could,I suppose: mine is the ''2 part '' model with the humidifiere part that can be separated from the man machine. Very quiet.....VERY MUCH so...specially compared to the original 2006 model which I recently upgraded.. Maska are also so much less ....cumbersome.

Good luck....and good ZZZZZZZZZZ....!!

I noticed no one so far has commented on EASYJET allowing CPAP , not counting it as extra baggage, it will be interesting to hear their take on it. I have been told that it cannot be looked on as such because it is a medical need!

We were on EASYJET last MAY and they are very hot on charging for extra, even had to stuff my purse into my carry on or pay extra. We would not fly with them if could get as cheap a fare elsewhere, we really dislike them. Having said that , we have booked them again on line , paying alittle extra this time for luggage. :p

While flying EasyJet has been easy in terms of flights for us, the baggage issue is a major concern. We may need to use them to fly from Venice to either Orly or Lyons after our '12 Med cruise, and I dread the luggage logistics that will go into packing if we book on EasyJet. Fares are sooo much lower than on the major carriers and they currently have a flight that would work well for us schedule-wise.

Moderator, there is a duplicate thread going by the OP. Can you please combine? Thanks!

BTW, Celebrity does not charge for the distilled water. Have you advised you TA you needed the water and cord? If not, do so. You can also, as has been stated previously, call the special needs number and they will provided you with the water. If it's not in your cabin when you board tell your cabin steward and they will get it for you, no charge. If someone charged you they were not aware it was for a CPAP.

We had about 5 friends on our Connie cruise this past March and we all got the distilled water and cords from the steward. No charges for anything.

Happy Cruising.

Pat C

At the security station they ask to have it taken out of the case and it goes through the x ray machine. Then the one of the tsa's take it and wand it and briefly check it over for chemicals and then give it back and you pack it back in it's case and that's it. Make sure no distilled water is left in the reservoir though or you could end up with a mess. Also most CPAP machines can run on European or American voltage without any problem but if you run on European plugs you will need the proper adaptors to plug into the end of the CPAP machine and then into the outlet.

Not to pick too fine a nit . . . it's actually a swab for explosive trace. As another poster commented, best to request the airport security screener use a new swab and fresh gloves.

The CPAP does not count as one of the two personal items allowed for carry-ons. DH has carted his to London from Cleveland, from Budapest home, and on flights across the U.S., along with two other items. He has had the CPAP bag inspected several times, but, as my Ohio neighbor has pointed out, that extra inspection is not a big deal.

It remains to be seen how EasyJet or another European low-cost carrier deals with CPAPs....can anyone post on their experience using these airlines and carrying on a CPAP?

At one time, security in Heathrow was only permitting one carry on . . . the CPAP counted as the one. It's worth checking to see if this restriction still is in force.

Beats the snoring, gasping, sounds . . . kind of a white noise - I just checked mine, no go for 12 v dc

Archived