Comedians truly family friendly?

williamson_ja

We'll be sailing on the Liberty this December and are just wondering when they have the PG rated Comedy shows; are they truly family friendly? I take my kids to see PG rated movies all the time. However, I have found that a lot of the Carnival entertainment that is rated PG isn't necessarily appropriate for young viewers. So, can anyone give me a heads up? Can I bring my family in there or not?

BTW, if you are going to question my being a prude to certain things, I will admit right now that I am a total prude and my kids are homeschooled. Believe it or not, people like us still exist. :D

My first question would be how old are your kids?? I don't consider myself a prude but I was careful with what my kids watched (both are grown now). There was a post yesterday about the Dream shows you might want to read it. It could help with your decision. It discussed "PG" costumes, " PG" dance moves and the "PG" magic show. I usually go to both shows but I will have to say that I was extremely surprised on my first cruise to see removable pants come off and the only left on was a gold thong (this was the PG show)...

Guess I am a little bit of a prude :)

My first question would be how old are your kids?? I don't consider myself a prude but I was careful with what my kids watched (both are grown now). There was a post yesterday about the Dream shows you might want to read it. It could help with your decision. It discussed "PG" costumes, " PG" dance moves and the "PG" magic show. I usually go to both shows but I will have to say that I was extremely surprised on my first cruise to see removable pants come off and the only left on was a gold thong (this was the PG show)...

Guess I am a little bit of a prude :)

I have already researched the production shows. I think there is only one of them that we would attend. Things we like to avoid with my kids: lots of sexual innuendo, revealing costuming (thongs, etc) lots of swearing (I am not going to freak out about a couple words here and there but not tons of it and no F bombs).

Someone asked how old my kids are- I have them all ages pretty much. Ages 6-18

The PG-rated comedy shows on Freedom were truly PG - and this was when Punchliners was just getting started across the fleet. You will not hear profanity, and the themes of the comedy will be appropriate for all but the littlest kids (who probably just think it wasn't funny).

That said, even homeschooled kids have probably heard all the words that the comedians use in the R-rated shows..... just probably in not so much profusion... :eek: ... but every one of these I've been to has begun with the comedian telling the audience that anyone under age 18 is not welcome and should leave at once.

OP, you're no more prudish than anyone else - we all have something in our lives that we think is inappropriate.... for instance, ads for ED drugs on the evening news are near the top of my list. :mad::eek:

Happy cruising!

The PG-rated show, if they even advertise it as such, is more closely aligned with PG-13 complete with the obligatory "If you are offended by ... then leave now" disclaimers.

If you are looking for Disney Channel content, this isn't it.

We are just off the Dream with our kids 8 and 11 and cousins 10 and 13. It is probably my review that the PP referenced. The family-friendly comedians in the Burgundy Lounge were family-friendly, but not kid-centric. My eight year old was bored - she just didn't understand the humor. The other kids enjoyed the show. Language was PG rated - no F bombs. Probably the worst word I heard (I left early with my 8-year old) was crap (does that get censored by the filters?). I didn't hear the whole show, but my husband and the other parents who stayed were OK with it. We only saw them one night, though, and there are other comedians on other nights.

The shows in the Encore theater were entirely different. Still no F bombs, but much more swearing (magician) and way more sexual content (magician, Dancing in the Streets, 8 More Seconds). Besides the thongs, there was pole dancing, "dirty dancing", grinding, etc. The magician was the worst - we were unprepared for him since Carnival doesn't rate the magic show, just the production show. He was definitely PG-13 - no F bombs, but most other words. He was very crude at times and way too focused on his and his female volunteer's anatomy. He would have been funny if it had been an adult show, but it was not family friendly. To top it off, he was a terrible magician.

The juggler on the Dream was great, though - very entertaining and appropriate for the vast numbers of kids on board.

We are just off the Dream with our kids 8 and 11 and cousins 10 and 13. It is probably my review that the PP referenced. The family-friendly comedians in the Burgundy Lounge were family-friendly, but not kid-centric. My eight year old was bored - she just didn't understand the humor. The other kids enjoyed the show. Language was PG rated - no F bombs. Probably the worst word I heard (I left early with my 8-year old) was crap (does that get censored by the filters?).

The shows in the Encore theater were entirely different. Still no F bombs, but much more swearing and way more sexual content. Besides the thongs, there was pole dancing, "dirty dancing", grinding, etc. The magician was the worst - we were unprepared for him since Carnival doesn't rate the magic show, just the production show. He was definitely PG-13 - no F bombs, but most other words. He was very crude at times and way too focused on his and his female volunteer's anatomy. He would have been funny if it had been an adult show, but it was not family friendly. To top it off, he was a terrible magician.The juggler on the Dream was great, though - very entertaining and appropriate for the vast numbers of kids on board.

Thank you! This information was very helpful. Looks like the comedian will be okay for the older bunch (the younger one can probably do something in the kids club for that hour) and the juggler would be good. I just like to be prepared. I would rather just not go than have to leave 1/2 way through while trying to apologize to my kids (yes, my kids would be offended.. not just me).

When they say R rated, they are not kidding...they are definitely 18+ comedy..(society notwhitstanding!)

Apparently the small group of Asian women that was in the audience with us either didn't understand the message, ( which was delivered no less than 4 times before the show started) or felt they would be 'okay' with it...they left about 10 minutes into the show with scowls on their faces..:eek:..

this was the Inspiration in March.

We took our girls to the family friendly comedy shows on the Miracle in October...totally acceptable to 'this' Mom..for all ages.

a friend of mine is a comedian who works the Carnival comedy shows. In my very honest opinion, I would never, ever, ever let my 16 year old daughter or my 14 year old son anywhere near that room! I am not sure what his act is like on the ship, but in a comedy venue here at home, it does tend to be more on the raunchy and vulgar side. To each his own, to each his own censorship! Personally, I enjoy the show, but would most certainly make many grown men squeamish!!! That being said, I know they clean up the act quite a bit for the PG rated show, and have heard nothing but good things about the comedy clubs! I hope there is one on the Miracle in September!!

As others have said, it's all dependent upon individual standards.

Having said that, I will admit that I would never take my (soon-to-be) six-year-old to the PG comedy shows. Sure, the sexual innuendo is over his head, but I'm not ready to answer the, "Mommy what does that mean?" questions just yet!

It seems odd to me that someone who is "not sure what his act is like on the ship" would "never, ever, ever" let their 16 year old daughter or 14 year old son anywhere near the family comedy shows. I was on the Conquest a couple of weeks ago. The family comedy shows were very benign. We attended 3 or 4 of the non-adult shows. The comedians that we saw did not just do their adult show with cleaned-up language. It was entirely different material. I heard no adult language or content. A couple of the shows were mostly bantering with the audience (kids and adults). One comedian while interacting with the audience came upon a serving Marine. He was invited up to the stage and received a standing ovation from the audience for his service (as well as the other military folks present). I saw nothing objectionable.

The adult shows certainly were not for children and many warnings are given before the show.

I would not worry, the family friendly shows are fine. I do want to say that if you have a television in your home with a variety of TV channels that your kids have been exposed to far more than what you think by watching TV alone. Video games are also in that league as you have no idea what games your kids play at their friends house.

I have been out three cruises now since the comedy clubs have been on the ship and can safely say the family friendly comedy can be pretty dull, but the adult is really good...It all depends on the comedian.....The Piano bar, also depeneding on the piano player, can get raunchie too after few hours!

Enjoy your cruise

We took our 13 year old daughter (who attends a private Christian school, not much different than home-schooling) and we were a little embarrassed. There were several milder profanities and some sexual innuendo (which I think went over her head). We handled it pretty well.

I would have called it more like PG-13, as there was quite a bit of adult conjecture and innuendo. They really did try hard to tone it down, but to ask a comedian to clean it up really takes away most of their ammo.....

We attended the Family Friendly comedy on the Valor and thought they were fine for our 13-year-old. There were a lot of pooping and farting jokes, and they said words like screw and crap, but that was as bad as it got. My 10-year-old went to one and didn't really enjoy it.

My dh and I went to one of the adult shows and I thought the comedienne had been much funnier at the family friendly show. Her late show was littered with profanity and it wasn't that funny.

We attended the Family Friendly comedy on the Valor and thought they were fine for our 13-year-old. There were a lot of pooping and farting jokes, and they said words like screw and crap, but that was as bad as it got. My 10-year-old went to one and didn't really enjoy it.

My dh and I went to one of the adult shows and I thought the comedienne had been much funnier at the family friendly show. Her late show was littered with profanity and it wasn't that funny.

We'll be sailing on the Liberty this December and are just wondering when they have the PG rated Comedy shows; are they truly family friendly? I take my kids to see PG rated movies all the time. However, I have found that a lot of the Carnival entertainment that is rated PG isn't necessarily appropriate for young viewers. So, can anyone give me a heads up? Can I bring my family in there or not?

BTW, if you are going to question my being a prude to certain things, I will admit right now that I am a total prude and my kids are homeschooled. Believe it or not, people like us still exist. :D

I probably would not do so if I were you...

I do not have kids myself, but I find the comedy shows--even the PG ones--to be a bit risque especially if you home-school your kids...

Just my 2 cents....

It's sooooo hard to divulge what's good for one person is not for another. 10 years ago a movie "See Spot Run" came out...PG...a LOT of people advised me NOT to take my 5 year old son to the movie...critics DOGGED the movie...but...I did ANYWAY...and well we had a BLAST...laughed so hard and it's silly but still one of our favorite movies...Was it an appropriate movie for my 5 year old. Really I don't see why not. All about personal perceptions.

I LOVE the comedians...both the "family" version and the "adult" version.

I really didn't find ANY problems with the family versions on either the Conquest nor the Ectasy. I'm not sure ALL children under 8-9 would totally understand all the jokes...just because "sometimes" the jokes relate to Work, Traffic, maybe a joke or two about "cell phones" etc...Just general topics...but nothing bad...just may not be much a young child may "relate" to. There won't in general be any "knock knock" type jokes....NOW the "adult" show...sure...not for "kids" or even some adults...but "I" often laugh till I cry. Under 18 are not supposed to be in the "R" show.

Archived