Whatever happened to.....

PunkinsDad

Most people will try to suffer in silence hoping after a few days the people will finally get the chairs settled. Probably by day 4 of hearing the dragging he snapped. Also possible the guy had a headache or was trying to enjoy the peace and quiet of his balcony. I know when my head is throbbing I am looking for quiet and am not inspired to be polite when in a lot of pain.

Most of us don't realize how noisy we can be and most of us, yourself included, wouldn't intentionally disturb another vacationer. Obviously in this case you did disturb someone and obviously his response wasn't the best. I know he shouldn't have been rude but this is one of those cases where the better response might have been to apologize and maybe offer to buy the man a drink for the disturbance you didn't recognize you were making. ;) Eh, live and learn.

Your not going to get manners on the internet so don't expect for many to agree with you. These same people saying you were wrong obviously then must agree that if I start my vulgar language toward my balcony neighbor about there smoking annoying my use of the balcony, the guy must stop his smoking because he is being rude. They are hypocrites if they disagree with this. It is legal to move your chairs around and its legal to smoke on your balcony. So the next time I "F" my neighbor for smoking on his balcony I will know I have all these CCers on my side.;)

Just spray 'em with skunk piss.:rolleyes:

Your not going to get manners on the internet so don't expect for many to agree with you. These same people saying you were wrong obviously then must agree that if I start my vulgar language toward my balcony neighbor about there smoking annoying my use of the balcony, the guy must stop his smoking because he is being rude. They are hypocrites if they disagree with this. It is legal to move your chairs around and its legal to smoke on your balcony. So the next time I "F" my neighbor for smoking on his balcony I will know I have all these CCers on my side.;)

Really? Wow. :cool:

The right thing to do would have been to take it into account on THIS cruise.

I agree! The most annoying thing we experience on our balcony is chair scrapers and door slammers.......You cannot honestly tell me you cannot hear the scraping and slamming as you do it.........where are peoples manners:confused:

I understand that the OP was unaware of how bothersome the chair moving is to the guests on the balcony below them. The other guest's response clearly conveys that they had been frustrated for some time and should have handled it differently. Had I been the OP, I hope I would have received the message and responded differently. Sitting here, at home, on my PC, I think the best thing would have been to apologize, explaining that they didn't know the chairs were causing noise below and advising that they would be more careful. This action would have diffused the situation, everyone could have enjoyed their cruise more and the lower-deck passenger might have learned a lesson about how to express their frustration and deal with a difficult situation.

How could you not know?

You were both wrong, immature & completely passive aggressive. You were completely inconsiderate by repeatedly moving the chairs all over. Then to continue the behavior after you knew it was impacting their enjoyment of their balcony. How passive aggressive could you possibly get? He was certainly wrong for the way he handled the situation. He should have been mature & asked you in a nice way to stop moving the chairs. But he did ask, let you know that it was bothering them & yet you continued rather than respond to his "churlish" request. You really should take a close look in the mirror to see who was being the bigger arse.

Hello,

Well....i understand what you are saying. Manners and courtesy go a long way. However, times have changed. Do you seriously think, i mean really, that someone would actually take the time to come to your cabin, knock on the door and ask you in a civil and polite manner to refrain from the noise. HECK no they wouldn't. They would probably fear a gun being pulled on them or getting their azz kicked. So what do they do? they make sarcastic remarks. You got the point. Just be the better person and change your behaviour. Better yet, MR manners why didn't you go to their cabin, with a bottle of wine or bucket of beer and say.....hey I'm sorry to have bothered you? NOPE you stooped to thier level.

Also, with all due respect here, if your manners are good like you say, wouldn't you know NOT to drag a chair? on a wooden type floor? Since it was never a problem before it is becaus eno one ever made a comment.

Unfortunately your last few words of your original post proves what i am saying.....you didnt care he was annoyed. GREAT another person who doesnt care........

Have a nice day.....or MAKE it a great day!

Never heard from him before that. Is it possible....yes. But based on a lifetime of experience, I doubt it. The chair scraping was by no means constant. As I stated before, we have never received any complaints on any of our previous cruises.

That brings up another question......it's amazing that CCL with all the resources at their disposal can't specify deck chairs that can be moved about without making that annoying sound.

2 years ago we were in cabins on deck 8 on Carnival Legend and we worried about noise from chairs moving around on the Lido (deck 9). And we had no problems with noise. This time since our cabins were directly below the new "Adults only" Serenity deck, we anticipated even less noise. But the outcome was that we heard more chair-scraping than ever before. Perhaps I should have shouted rude and obscene language to those folks on the serenity deck..... I'm sure that would have produced positive results. :cool: Instead, we chose to just deal with it and not let it adversely affect our cruise.

Something just isn't right here. You claim (and no, I don't believe you) that you did not realize that the dragging of deck chairs on your balcony would disturb your downstairs neighbors, yet on the other hand you complain about the noise you heard from deck chairs being moved around up on the Serenity deck? I say you are full of it. You knew that dragging chairs back and forth would be annoying - and you just didn't care. You can hear the racket it makes while you are dragging them, and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that if you hear it then others do as well. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you didn't realize that the noise is amplified for those below you - but then again you should have known that after hearing the noise from the chairs moving up on the Serenity deck. Just because you've never received a complaint about the chair dragging before does not mean that it didn't bother those around you. To continue to drag them around after the first comment you received is inexcuseable.

Some folks don't know how to confront so they use sarcasm. I think he was hoping you got the hint with his first sarcastic remark. When you didn't get his sarcasm and kept up the chair scraping he got madder because he was frustrated . I think I would have gone a bit snippy if I had to be underneath the noise of the chairs scraping too.

If someone made a comment on my noise I would have been embarrased that I disturbed someone, apologized, told the family to not scrape chairs but pick them up and try to be a good neighbor. I bet if he had felt like you where trying to keep it down he wouldn't have resorted to the bad language.

Just my opinion

Yes, I have to agree. I fully unerstand why you were upset, I would have been too. VERY! But sounds like you let your emotions get the best of you and resulted in childish rebuttle. Good manners sometimes mean biting your tongue and taking the extra adult step to defuse a situation. It's VERY HARD to do sometimes.:D:D

I didn't read all posts here but from the few I've read, my opinion is I don't think the OP intentially moved his chairs around to annoy the person underneath him. People need to realize when they book these types of cabins with someone,etc above them, there is going to be some kind of noise level. When cruising or staying in a hotel, there is going to be some type of noise level regardless. Yes, there is a degree of consideration, but I'm not going to tiptoe on my balcony either. I for one don't respond to sarcasm or rudeness either. The man below chose to be rude or sarcastic, which was his right, but OP handled the situation differently which I feel was his right. Every one handles situations differently.

If you don't want to hear the sounds of chairs scaping, smell cigarettee smoke, loud music, etc. then obviously cruising is not for you, heck, it sounds like vacationing isn't for you period.

First of all there are two sides to every story and I would like to hear the other side on this one. I'm glad that you were raised with such great manners that you dropped to his level. You may have not cursed or used foul language but by acting the way you did you were just as bad as him. I have real problems when people say: "I was raised with good manners but", "I'm not prejudiced but", "I love children but", "I like the senior citizens but", "My children are angels or perfect", etc., etc. You lost your good manners and upbringing when you continued to scrape the chairs, regardless of the foul language. It's better to rise above a situation than drop beneath it.

Hello again......

Well i was thinking about this for a bit after my last post.

OP, 2 things strike me...........you mention good manners...ok.....

1.....Since when is dragging a chair od wood type flooring, proper? Especially if it is between 2 balconies....sound like double trouble....

2......since when was putting your feet on a chair good manners?

I know i am getting picky here however i would enjoy your reasoning.

Apparently I am in the minority here. From now on, I should respond to rudeness and obscene language by complying.

For the record. I did NOT deliberately increase the amount or frequency of the "noise" we were making. I'll admit I was tempted to do so, but I did not. I also stand by my position that if everyone used common decent and polite language, particularly when communicating a concern or complaint to a total stranger, we would all be better off. Apparently that is a hopeless cause to most. It's too bad really. It almost always works.

That's the last word I have to say on this subject. Thanks to all for their opinions.

Apparently I am in the minority here. From now on, I should respond to rudeness and obscene language by complying.

For the record. I did NOT deliberately increase the amount or frequency of the "noise" we were making. I'll admit I was tempted to do so, but I did not. I also stand by my position that if everyone used common decent and polite language, particularly when communicating a concern or complaint to a total stranger, we would all be better off. Apparently that is a hopeless cause to most. It's too bad really. It almost always works.

That's the last word I have to say on this subject. Thanks to all for their opinions.

This is rude and vulgar?

Hey, do you think you could move your chairs around a little more……thanks

This is rude and vulgar?

Hey, do you think you could move your chairs around a little more……thanks

^ Like :)

To the OP - while you may not have deliberately increased the amount of noise you created, you also did not take measures to lessen the amount by not dragging the chairs around either. The person below you let you know that the noise was a problem (albeit in a sarcastic way that you did not appreciate) and you chose to continue making the noise after you were aware that it was bothersome. How is that mannerly?

Actually....your neighbor responded to rudeness with sarcasm...you deliberately ignored his sarcastic remark by NOT decreasing the frequency of your chair moving (which is what he was being sarcastic about). This is what resulted in his resorting foul language. Not appropriate, but definately provoked by you. A quick apology by you for your rudeness and ceasing to scrape your chairs would have stopped the situation before the foul language began by your neighbor.

In essence, you were the who created the situation in the first place by rudely scraping your chair across the deck and then, by ignoring his comment and not ceasing your rude behavior, you provoked the foul language that ensued. You have no one to blame but yourself.

Valid point. But I have a real problem with allowing the more "base" nature of civil discourse to become the mainstream. Be polite to me, and you will receive my full cooperation. I fear that I may be in the minority on this, but I'm too old now to change the way I feel about things like this.

Again, A polite request at the beginning would have avoided any further problems. That was the whole point of my post. Polite language costs nothing, and often is far more effective than the alternative.

If you had used your own reasoning regarding polite language maybe you would have had a different outcome. I would have politely yelled back down that I was sorry the chairs were disturbing them and we would make a concerted effort to keep the noise to a minimum for the duration of the cruise. Ever heard the expression " kill em with kindness", most people are then embarassed by the way they approached you and apologize. Good manners are not shown in the way others treat you, but in the way you treat others.:)

Actually....your neighbor responded to rudeness with sarcasm...you deliberately ignored his sarcastic remark by NOT decreasing the frequency of your chair moving (which is what he was being sarcastic about). This is what resulted in his resorting foul language. Not appropriate, but definately provoked by you. A quick apology by you for your rudeness and ceasing to scrape your chairs would have stopped the situation before the foul language began by your neighbor.

In essence, you were the who created the situation in the first place by rudely scraping your chair across the deck and then, by ignoring his comment and not ceasing your rude behavior, you provoked the foul language that ensued. You have no one to blame but yourself.

perfectly said.........

Still no response to my request......

1...dragging chairs over and through 2 balconies is or is not good manners?

2...putting your feet on a chair is or is not good manners....

OP you started this and should answer all questions and defend your self here. If not, that is rude.

Are these balcony chairs so heavy that they cannot be picked up and moved quietly? Also, why did they need to be constantly moved? Surely with two open balconies you could find spots for all the chairs out of the pathways of the cabin doors. On our last cruise, I don't believe we needed to move a chair the entire 7 days. :confused:

The botton line here and I've said it over and over again, it only takes a moment to pick up your chair to move it and it only takes a little more energy to close the door so it doesn't slam. If we all practiced this kind of behavior from day one, there would be no need for any comments from anyone.

the botton line here and i've said it over and over again, it only takes a moment to pick up your chair to move it and it only takes a little more energy to close the door so it doesn't slam. If we all practiced this kind of behavior from day one, there would be no need for any comments from anyone.

amen!

I wonder how responses on this thread would be different if the "offending" action was smoke from another balcony rather than chair noises. Not trying to start up another war - one seems to be going already - just wondering.

Archived