Tourists to be denied use of busses

DeltaOne

JerseyNess: I hope it doesn't put a kink in your wedding plans:(... but unlike the last poster I rather like Dockyard area -- has shopping, museum, galleries, restaurants -- and until this year have found ferry system etc. to be very good... keepin' my fingers crossed for you! I would plan on cab into Hamilton for hair appt etc. which will cost a more but may give you some peace of mind in planning.

I'm wondering what my best bet is for transportation for us in a couple weeks. We'll be 3 adults and my 1 yr. old son. We will have a stroller, so I'm a bit worried knowing that that can be troublesome also.

We'd planned on doing shopping in St. George or Hamilton one day and going to Horseshoe Bay Beach another. (Wed/ Thurs) Friday DH and I are diving with a co. that (thankfully) leaves from Dockyard.

We're on NCL and they offer a $25 beach trip. Should I just go for that to lessen stress? sigh... :(

Thanks for the help! :)

I'm going to have a stroke. Thankfully I have charted a bus from BeeLine to transport my guests to & from the wedding, but I was planning on gettng to Hamilton by ferry for my hair appt. I really hope there is an improvement in organization and fleet in the next 2 weeks. :(

I really hope all of you are able to see the things you have planned, and this is a minor hiccup for the 2011 season. *fingers crossed*

Don't stroke. Take a taxi. ;)

Thanks, everyone.

I've been to Bermuda, so I know my other options. The ferry is just so easy!! haha. I know everything will work out, Im really mostly concerned for my guests and them getting around, comfortably. We've got 3 days in port though, so hopefully it'll be a bit more relaxed when we're docked.

We are set to make our first trip to Bermuda on the Explorer in June. It's very disappointing to learn about this new policy. We have many cruise choices and if the government there cannot get their act in line this will be our last trip to Bermuda. JMHO. The last thing we want to do is wait in long bus lines with very limited time on the island.

I guess I am going to try build in flexibility to my 2 day schedule depending on how the various public transportation options look at Dockyards in early June, but going St. George on departure day (with a departure time of 5:00 p.m.) seems a bit risky with the return ferrys. If you get the 10:00 a.m. ferry to St. George and arrive at 10:45, the two possibilities for return ferrys are 12:30 (which would be to short of time in St. George) or 3:45 (which arrives at the Dockyards at 4:30 - too close to risk). The other option would be take a bus to Hamilton around the 1:00 to 2:00 range and then a ferry from Hamilton to Dockyards. If we are at one the South beaches on departure day, what would be a safe time to try to get a bus back to the Dockyards - would it be better to take a bus to Hamilton and then the ferry to Dockyards to avoid the crowds on the buses going to Dockyards from the beaches?

Your mistake was not booking two cruises to Bermuda, it was booking them on cruises to the Dockyard port. I have heard over and over about how the Dockyard is fine etc. I never liked it as the port. People here know I am a broken record about my dislike of the Dockyard. I booked Veendam last year and this year to avoid that mess.

Being an optimist though with all the bad press and problems I think they will do something if they have the means. I just hope they have the means.

There are few cruise ships that can still dock in Hamilton and none that can get into St. George. A few years ago we did back to back cruises to Bermuda on Azamara Journey and Norwegian Crown. They both docked in Hamilton and St. George. They no longer go to Bermuda. Bring back those smaller cruise ships so we can avoid the dockyard.

Being an optimist though with all the bad press and problems I think they will do something if they have the means. I just hope they have the means.

Unless they do something very very quickly, the word will get out and people will stop booking cruises - and they'll lose their revenue and have to spend years building a reputation. If they were really having so much problems with affording the ferry and bus service, why didn't they just raise the prices on passes for tourists? Or find some way to have the cruise lines take over the ferry operations?

j

New article published on Wednesday. They are acutely aware of the exposure this issue is getting here on Cruise Critic!

Ministers Lister and Minors meet in wake of transport system criticism

They haven't really said how they plan to fix this, but wow is everyone mad about it. This is how you lose elections.

Theron

Just relax and enjoy...with the amount of people getting off the cruise ships you'll be waiting in line for the buses and ferries anyway. Don't let it ruin you vacation by stressing out. You'll get to where you need to go. :D

Lots of people are saying to bring extra cash for taxis....how much are these taxis?

I really just want to go to horseshoe bay and I have no problem waiting for a bus as long as it under an hour wait. I understand that this is their public transit and its not put in place for us tourist. I live at the Jersey Shore in a prime vacation spot and it is annoying when summer come but it also brings us LOTS of business. I hope that Bermuda is not a nightmare and things run smoothly I'm pretty easy going and when I get there I get there

How much is this hype about Bermuda transportation helping the cruise lines book ship excursions, that people wouldn't normally book? Just wondering. Bermuda is a beautiful island, no matter where you are. So, people, its vacation, RELAX.

Lots of people are saying to bring extra cash for taxis....how much are these taxis?

I really just want to go to horseshoe bay and I have no problem waiting for a bus as long as it under an hour wait. I understand that this is their public transit and its not put in place for us tourist. I live at the Jersey Shore in a prime vacation spot and it is annoying when summer come but it also brings us LOTS of business. I hope that Bermuda is not a nightmare and things run smoothly I'm pretty easy going and when I get there I get there

According to what I read in the Royal Gazzete, $6 per person Dockyard to Horseshoe. Easy to get a taxi at the Dockyard, more difficult at Horseshoe for the way back.

I think that tourists heading in either direction to/from Dockyard should team up and share taxis.

I really just want to go to horseshoe bay ...

Taxis aren't too outrageous if only going to Horseshoe Bay from the Dockyard, those fares have recently been lowered and are currently fixed at $6 per passenger (one way). You won't need to worry about finding others to share your ride, as the prices are fixed per person, and the driver will try to fill his taxi before pulling away. By law, he can only carry 6 passengers even if he has 7 seats.

Taking a taxi from the Dockyard to Hamilton or St George's would be an entirely different story, as those prices are not fixed and you would probably definitely appreciate sharing the expense of the car.

My husband has his heart set on renting mopeds, which scares me to death! This bus/ferry situation is going to make it very difficult to talk him out of.

Even if there are just two of you waiting for a cab/bus.. hold up a sign saying "Need 2 (or 4) more for cab to Hamilton" and I bet you get some takers... personally I'd rather spend more for a cab than spend a long time waiting for the masses to get a bus, esp. on arrival day. You can always take ferry back to the ship. Just a thought.

We are retired and on more of a travel budget than we were used to but I'd gladly spend an extra $20 to get to Hamilton (0r wherever) in a cab vs. half a day wait/bus ride?

One's tolerance is obviously a personal decision, but the problem is that you would be waiting for up to an hour in the direct sun, in an ill-formed line that may meander around a bit, full of other people who are probably not as tolerant as you are. Then when the bus did arrive, the line would become a herd, all centered around that bus door. If you were not in the first 10 in line, there would be no guarantee that you would make that bus either, even after having waited that hour. Been there, done that. It's not nearly as fun as it sounds.

Theron

Same here - i am not fully scared of the scooters.. more worried about that in combo with left hand driving, traffic, not knowing our way around etc. and my back may not do well on a scooter. Hubby has a scooter at home so he is very comfortable on one.

We are going this comming Sunday - so will just play it by ear when we get there. We have 3 days there - and are very flexiable on our schedule so can likley time it around the rush.

My husband has his heart set on renting mopeds, which scares me to death! This bus/ferry situation is going to make it very difficult to talk him out of.

Same here - i am not fully scared of the scooters.. more worried about that in combo with left hand driving, traffic, not knowing our way around etc. and my back may not do well on a scooter. Hubby has a scooter at home so he is very comfortable on one.

We are going this comming Sunday - so will just play it by ear when we get there. We have 3 days there - and are very flexiable on our schedule so can likley time it around the rush.

2 years ago when my girlfriend went to Bermuda and rented scooters w/ her DH another guest accidentally hit the wrong gear on the scooter and rode off into the water:eek: lol so just be careful. :p

I think w/ all this bus/ferry nonsense that we would just rent the scooters if we didnt have the kids with us.

2 years ago when my girlfriend went to Bermuda and rented scooters w/ her DH another guest accidentally hit the wrong gear on the scooter and rode off into the water:eek: lol so just be careful. :p

I think w/ all this bus/ferry nonsense that we would just rent the scooters if we didnt have the kids with us.

Every cruise to Bermuda I have seen people who had scooter accidents. Also several times I have witnessed accidents and near misses. I also know a lady who broke her pelvis on a scooter in Bermuda. One time I saw a guy just miss getting creamed by a truck. I was on the balcony of the Swizzle Inn and I saw the guy look the wrong way before pulling out.

we will be on the Enchantment next year (with I think the NCL Dawn will be in at approx same time, give or take a few hours). When we went to the Caribbean on other cruises most people did not think about the public bus. Yes St Thomas has one along with Grand Cayman and San Juan. Passengers booked shore excursions and had few problems. If you don't want to wait in line for a public bus in Bermuda, consider a shore excursion. Guess what, no waiting. Yes they are more expensive but most do it anyways on other islands. Because of the current situation, if it does not improve, I plan to book a shore excursion and avoid the hassles.

we will be on the Enchantment next year (with I think the NCL Dawn will be in at approx same time, give or take a few hours). When we went to the Caribbean on other cruises most people did not think about the public bus. Yes St Thomas has one along with Grand Cayman and San Juan. Passengers booked shore excursions and had few problems. If you don't want to wait in line for a public bus in Bermuda, consider a shore excursion. Guess what, no waiting. Yes they are more expensive but most do it anyways on other islands. Because of the current situation, if it does not improve, I plan to book a shore excursion and avoid the hassles.

One of the reasons we booked Bermuda was for the availability and frequency of affordable and safe public transportation. We are not big into organized tours, preferring to study the destination and set out on our own to explore. We'll make this work, but we are concerned about the situation. I'll report back when I return on the 16th. We'll have fun regardless.

One of the reasons we booked Bermuda was for the availability and frequency of affordable and safe public transportation. We are not big into organized tours, preferring to study the destination and set out on our own to explore. We'll make this work, but we are concerned about the situation. I'll report back when I return on the 16th. We'll have fun regardless.

I don't usually do cruise line excursions anywhere. I would never do them in Bermuda. I will stop going to Bermuda if we can't go around on our own.

Exactly. That is the best part of going to Bermuda being able to explore the island on your own. We love Bermuda and cruise there for that specific reason. I am really nervous about our upcoming trip, especially since we will have so many people w/ us (4 kids 4 adults) If it is too hard to get around I am not sure we will cruise there again, if we do it would most certainly need to be on HAL.

Archived