Why Oceania??

Sherrie74

Our first cruise we took regular cruise air and flew Air France Toronto to Paris and then to Lisbon. Home from Venice through Paris. This was what they gave us, we asked no questions!

Next cruise, Lisbon to Rio,we took a deviation so we could stay longer on either end. I was upset when TA declined on our behalf an offer that would have required us to pay $300 each. I had researched flights and the cheapest I could get on my own was $3300, so I thought that was OK. In the end we got the exact same flights for only the deviation fee. We flew BA to London and then to Lisbon with good connections. American Rio to Miami, AC Miami-Toronto.

Third cruise was Barcelona to Miami. I think we flew Luftansa to Frankfurt and then to Barcelona. American to Miami and AC to Toronto. We took three offers on this one before we got a deviation that suited us with no additional charge.

We were supposed to be on the Maiden Voyage of Marina and had great deviation flights booked with no extra charges, but I don't remember what they were and the attachment won't open. We cancelled before final payment so just lost the $200 Deviation fee.

Hope this gives you some idea, and helps you make the decision.

Mo

LOL! I've got a few more points than that. ;)

I can't honestly remember the last time I used a TA to book a flight - they don't really mind since they don't get commissioned on air anyway unless they charge you a processing fee.

Interesting and helpful feedback from Potterhill - thank you. It seems there aren't any preferred airlines.

We do not have enough point to fly anywhere ..maybe from YYZ to YTZ if that was allowed :D

Lyn

I can't honestly remember the last time I used a TA to book a flight - they don't really mind since they don't get commissioned on air anyway unless they charge you a processing fee.

Interesting and helpful feedback from Potterhill - thank you. It seems there aren't any preferred airlines.

The only time I use a TA to book flights is when I use Oceania air

Any other flights I book my own ...I like to have some control

Lyn

A group of us booked an Oceania cruise a few weeks ago(Regatta 6/11/12). We plan to stay stay a few days in Barcelona after the cruise. We understand about the air deviation fee but we don't know when we have to tell Oceania about our plans. How far in advance do we have to let them know? I have asked for and paid for bsiness class airfare on the return trip. Do I have to pay the air deviation too? I am very excited about this cruise. Everyone on this board has been so nice and helpful.

Our flights received from O for our upcoming cruise could not have been better if I had searched the entire universe, and we did not pay any air deviation fee. Please know living in New Orleans is very difficult to get direct non-stop flights anywhere, except a few major U.S. cities.

We originally chose O's air because we could not fly for less using O's air rebate. Turns out flights provided are:

New Orleans to London - leave late afternoon with 1 stop in North Carolina - arrive London 8 AM (thankfully no connection in NY or NJ)

Return - leave Copenhagen 12:30 PM with 1 stop in Washington D.C. - arrive New Orleans 8 PM

And isn't like we booked a very expensive stateroom, or are multiple O cruisers.

A group of us booked an Oceania cruise a few weeks ago(Regatta 6/11/12). We plan to stay stay a few days in Barcelona after the cruise. We understand about the air deviation fee but we don't know when we have to tell Oceania about our plans. How far in advance do we have to let them know? I have asked for and paid for bsiness class airfare on the return trip.

I would ask your TA or Oceania to clarify what you have paid for.

If you are flying in or out on days other than the cruise embarkation/debarkation dates you usually pay the deviation fee.

You can ask for flights 270 days out

It is complicated ;)

Lyn

So we should decide by the Fall how long we plan to stay in Barcelona and then tell our TA?

i would decide by Sept what dates you want to travel & tell your TA

They will check with O on what flights they will give you a7 if there is any upcharge

You have 48hrs (I think) to accept those flights, if you do not like them ask for another option

Look at the flights available

I like to check http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

You can ask for specific flights & see if there is any upcharge for those

After you accept the flights you will be charged the deviation fee of $100.pp

Suggest you fly in a day or more early also

I told you it was complicated ;)

Lyn

Like I said thanks so much. I'll let my group know during the summer that we need to decide by September. We leave from Miami so getting there won't be a problem and I always go the day before. I've only used cruise line air once before and I did ask for an air deviation and everything worked out fine. So thanks a lot.

So we should decide by the Fall how long we plan to stay in Barcelona and then tell our TA? I don't care about the air deviation fee I just wondered if I woud pay it too. Thanks for your help.

We just did 3 extra days in Barcelona - would have loved more, but it was a good start. We fell in love with the city. We, too , had booked busniness class for return. . I had tried to find flights on my own but there was no way I could match the O price with the open jaw. AGree that about 270 days out is right time. Gladly paid the $100 deviation to go a day early and come back late and pick our flights and airline so we could get our FF miles. First flights TA came back to us with were perfect. Went through Atlanta both ways since our city is not a hub and you always have to go through somewhere to get here.

Someone suggest to post elsewhere to get various other comments other than on the O board so have done that just a short while ago.

Thanks to all who replied ... I do appreciate everything I have learned and it keeps on coming. My friend and I will seriously start looking before fall for something in June 2012. She is very positive that Oceania is how she wants to go and as it is a special trip for her ... I will just follow along. Right now need to get ready for a 16 day land trip to SW USA ... canyons here we come.

Mo .. emailing you now, sorry have been away for a few days and didnt see your reply.

Two months ago, I would have said, hands-down, Oceania is the cruise line for us. After their recent underhandedness in the handing of their schedule changing for our upcoming (6/23) cruise, I can say, without reservation, we will NEVER book with Oceania again and I will NEVER recommend them. They completely butchered the schedule, took out over 30 hours of shore time and three ports--two of which they called the "gems" of the cruise?!?, and gave a very lame excuse (generator repair) to cover what is most likely the real excuse (fuel price increases) for these changes. It took ENORMOUS effort from many unhappy customers before they reinstated two of the 3 ports of call they axed (amazing that with the "generator repair" they could somehow find time for those ports after all?!?) but thankfully it's the two gems. We are disappointed, angry, and looking for another company for our future cruise options. Clearly Oceania has tons of customers since they can afford to treat us shabbily enough that we won't come back. My recommendation? Don't bother with Oceania unless your itinerary means nothing to you and you don't expect integrity from those who take your money.

and gave a very lame excuse (generator repair) to cover what is most likely the real excuse (fuel price increases) for these changes.

I think if were just fuel prices they would add them just like they did in the past.

Are the other ship's itineraries cut?

They may well have problem with the generators.

I do agree they should have been upfront notifying passengers long before things got heated up.

I how you enjoy the cruise anyway it was great scenery

Lyn

I have learned a lot from this thread. Thank you all for your generous info and opinions.

My husband and I are debating whether to try Oceania. We enjoyed our past cruises Celebrity, HAL, RCI, but we LOVE small ships Azamara and Paul Gauguin! Itinerary to us are the most important; however, food, service and fellow passengers really add to the experience! (we have become those "want-it-all-but-at-a-fair-price" passengers! :p)

We also have come to enjoy non formal nights. Lugging formal wear long distance detracts from the joy of travelling.

With 2 for 1 fare including air, flying out of YVR, Oceania seemed to offer good value. We are booked for South America mar 2012. Has anyone tried the Israel, Egypt itinerary? maybe not a good time? any comment is appreciated.

• 5 months later...

This is our first Europe Cruise (and may be our only on) so we want to make the most of it.

So confused about the excursions??? We booked the ones with Oceania and now after reading some posts see that we may same a lot of money doing some on our own??

We will be on Insigna Venice to Rome. Any help deciding would greatly be appreciated.

We are not sure if some of the locations we can just get off the ship and find a tour guide or if we should make advance arrangements. We will be going to Venice, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Taomina, Amalfi, Florence, Monte Carlo and Rome. In Rome we will be staying an extra day and done 3 walking tours with our travel agent.

Thanks for any info you can give us!!!

Skym1000, you have made a wise choice in selecting Oceania. You may want to look at the roll call for your trip to see if other cruisers are getting together for private tours. We however have always used O's excursions and are quite pleased with them. Somewhat expensive, yes but very easy to arrange and reliable. In any case enjoy your trip!

We are not sure if some of the locations we can just get off the ship and find a tour guide or if we should make advance arrangements. We will be going to Venice, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Taomina, Amalfi, Florence, Monte Carlo and Rome. In Rome we will be staying an extra day and done 3 walking tours with our travel agent.

Do some research on the ports

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=603

Venice, Dubrovnik, Monte Carlo you can DIY

Join the Roll Call as suggested join some private tours with your fellow ship mates ..less people to wait for, less or the same $$ as the ship's tours & you see more in the time you have

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=421

Skym, you shouldn't be too impressed by negative comments about ship's tours. Yes, most Cruise Critic posters seem to prefer to arrange their own tours just because there are smaller groups and very often it is more cost effective.

But not always, and as Eddmel said, they pretty much use ship's tours exclusively. Howard and I are somewhat in the middle -- we prefer independent touring but we have taken a number of ship's tours and by and large they were quite good. There have been one or two exceptions but we've had the same luck of the draw on private tours as well.

So if it's your first time and you are nervous about planning your own tours, stick with the ship's tours. Or do a combination as many of us do.

We board Marina in a little more than a week and we will be doing some independent tours and some ship's tours.

Mura

This is our first Europe Cruise (and may be our only on) so we want to make the most of it. So confused about the excursions??? We booked the ones with Oceania and now after reading some posts see that we may same a lot of money doing some on our own??

We will be on Insigna Venice to Rome. Any help deciding would greatly be appreciated.

My quick primer on the subject:

There are three basic ways to handle any port:

1) Ship's excursion

2) Private tour

3) "On your own"

First let's talk about "On your own". This is where you just get off the ship with nothing arranged, likely either just walk around...or grab a taxi or public transportation. There are a lot of "On your own" advocates on this board. But I really do not recommend this unless you really know the port well and have thoroughly researched the logistics. In Europe, many of the "sights" are far from the docks and require some form of transportation. And this may be difficult, especially if one does not speak the local language or know the quirks of the local bus and train systems. OTOH, it does work for a limited number of ports--mostly smaller, walkable ones...But, before you rely on this as a method, research the port well and know what you want to see and how you will get there.

Private tours are a great way to see many ports. The advantage is not necessarily price. In some ports, private guides are quite reasonable, in others not. Usually, they are not cost effective if you have a party of only 2 or 4...You usually need at least 6 if not 8 in your party just to bring the cost to comparable with the shore excursion prices...And realize that you are usually talking a little "apples and oranges". the shore excursions typically include all admissions charges and often lunch whereas, on most private tours, those are extra...So make sure to consider all of your costs. The real advantages to a private tour are 1) You move around in a group of 6 or 8 or 10 so you can move faster and see more than if in a large bus with 30+ people loading and unloading...and you can actually stay close to and hear your guide. Also, you can customize your tour--adding sights you want to see, cutting time in those you (or your group) find uninteresting. There are some minuses that few really understand here as well. In some European countries (Italy most notably) most of the recommended "guides" are not properly licensed as guides. This requires a special license...So, the guides one usually sees on here are really "drivers". By law in Italy, they cannot enter any of the tourist sites (Churches, museums, archaeological sites, etc such as the Vatican or Pompeii) with you. They can merely provide commentary while driving, then must drop you off at the sites to visit on your own. It works okay on some trips, not on others. If you take one of these drivers to Pompeii, for example, you must arrange for an additional paid licensed guide at Pompeii if you want commentary on the grounds.

Since most of us don't usually travel in groups of 6 or 8 or more, best way to put together or to join a group is to visit the Roll Call boards here and find people with whom you share common interests and capabilities.

The Ship's shore excursions (or "Shorexes") are often given a bad rap on these boards. There are actually many good features. First, they will pick you up right from the ship and make sure you get back to the ship on time. They are often very all-inclusive--Guides, admission fees, lunches. You don't have any of the logistical issues you do with a private tour--no worry as to where to meet your guide or how dependable they may be. No worry about your tour mates flaking out on you. No concern about pre-payment (though you do prepay, the payment is completely refundable if for some reason the ship skips the port or if you cancel 24 hours ahead). The major drawback, as far as I am concerned, is that often you are just in too big a group--30-40 people on a big bus...You deal with a lot of waiting for everyone to get on and get off. You tend to see a little less because of the sluggishness of moving the big group. Some of the shorexes are a bit costly for what you get...but, realize that the cruise line has some administrative costs as well...and they contract these out to local providers. Of course, often we've gotten lucky...We had a shorex with only 11 passengers (and two guides) in Rome a few years back...and one with only 19 in Livorno that same cruise...and we had one in Livorno this past summer with only 16...Of course, those are more the exception than the rule--usually because we've done some "Not the usual" shorexes--going, say, to San Gimignano and Volterra rather than to Florence...

Different methods of touring work well for different people. Some people just don't deal well with structure, crave adventure and find the local culture a challenge...and they like challenges...and they like to hold to a tight budget. "On your own" works well for them. Others are perfectionists and planners who like to plan every detail and like to fit as much into their touring day as they can. Private tours are the way to go for these people. Still others just want things to be easy and uncomplicated...Whatever they can see on a shorex is still a full day and gives them enough to feel they've seen the port. Shorexes work well for them.

For us, we do a combination. I check the availability of recommended local guides and the relative cost and if I can put together a good private tour, I'll go with that. In ports where private guides are difficult to find or expensive in price, I will check the offered shorexes and book one. In ports I have visited many times and know very well or in smaller, walkable ports where none of the shorexes thrill me, I will just plan on visiting on my own.

Do your research and consider what works well for YOU. But don't let anyone tell you that any method you choose is "wrong".

By the way, a few notes on your ports:

Venice: I see you start here. I hope you chose to fly in early and spend a couple of extra days here. Buy a Vaporetti pass for public transportation by bus/boat all over the city and to Murano, Burano, Lido et al. This is a wonderful city just to wander around and soak it all in. Buy the AAA Spiral Guide- Venice for great maps and suggested walking tours.

Dubrovnik: This is a rather small, compact town and can easily be seen “on your own”. One favorite activity is to “Walk the walls”. For a small charge, you can climb on top of the medieval city walls and walk around, enjoying the views. That said, we’ve done a couple of Shorexes here. The one that went to Cavtat was regrettable, though we really enjoyed the one we did on our last visit—the shorex to the farm/winery.

Kotor: Another small medieval walled city, doable on your own. We did a shorex here that went also to Budva, another walled medieval city on the beach—and really enjoyed Budva as well.

Taormina: The ship docks in Naxos, so you’ll need a tour of some kind. When we went, we found local guides priced too high, so took a shorex.

Amalfi: The popular “private guide—really driver” trip here is a tour of the Amalfi Coast…nicely done with a driver BUT…the problem is in missing Pompeii…Pompeii is spectacular. The drivers don’t push it because they cannot go with you. Either take a shorex or arrange it with your driver to hire the extra licensed guide.

Florence: Ship docks in Livorno—pretty far from Florence…requires a tour of some sort…I would go with a shorex here.

Monte Carlo: You can do Monte Carlo on your own, but it is not as exciting as it sounds…A shorex or tour is in order here because you might really want to go visit some nearby towns. Eze is popular…We like St. Paul de Vence even better. This summer, we did a private tour to Grasse (perfume factory), Gourdon and St. Paul de Vence—very nice.

Rome: Do you end here? I hope you chose to spend at least a couple of days here. This last visit, even though I know the city well, we chose to have a guide pick us up from the ship and take us on a tour. On your overnight day from the ship, you may want to do a shorex. With the shorex, you’ll have a guide to the Vatican and bypass the lines. Lots to see here.

Good luck.

This is our first Europe Cruise (and may be our only on) so we want to make the most of it.

So confused about the excursions??? We booked the ones with Oceania and now after reading some posts see that we may same a lot of money doing some on our own??

You're on the same cruise we're on, so let me offer some insights based on our previous experiences. DO try to get to Venice at least a day or two early, this city needs to be experienced at a slower pace than you can do in a day and a half which is what you'll have after boarding the Insignia. Venice is very doable on your own, as Steve pointed out, just wander around, get a vaporetto pass, and discover the joys of the city by yourselves.

Dubrovnik is very doable on your own as is Kotor, you don't need any excursions.

Taormina could pose a problem if the seas are too rough for tendering, if so, we may end up going to Messina and have to bus it back to Taormina. If we can tender into Naxos, the small port below Taormina, then you need transportation from there up to the actual town of Taormina.

Amalfi/Positano could pose the same problems as Taormina if the sea conditions aren't favorable for tendering. We really don't know where the ship will end up going to. On our last med trip with Oceania, the ship anchored off Sorrento instead of Amalfi/Positano due to the inability to tender there. Those with ship sponsored excursions had to take them out of Sorrento. Sometimes the seas are simply too rough and the ship docks in Naples where you and many others will have to make alternate arrangements

Livorno is not easily doable on your own, none of the attractions are nearby so you have to have transportation to wherever you're going.

There will be an assortment of taxis waiting at the ship for those who haven't pre-arranged anything, you can discuss trips with them at that point or you can have an excursion figured out or arranged ahead of time. The ship does provide a good assortment of excursions at Livorno if you can't find an available alternative.

What Steve say about Monte Carlo is exactly what we'll be doing, taking a ship sponsored excursion from there to France which is right next door. We'll be going to Cannes, Grasse and St. Paul de Vence on the 'Stars of the Cote d'Azur tour.

When we arrive in Civitavecchia you're again faced with the same situation you have in Livorno, you need transportation to any of the sights. The port is close to a train station making it relatively easy to do your own thing that day, and because we're overnighting you don't have to worry about being back late. The ship's tours are also an option for you to consider.

Hope all this helps you out, we'll see you on board...!!

cheers,

the Imagineer

I am reminded by what Imagineer just wrote to make one additional point about private tours...

IF the schedule is somehow changes, the port or the hours altered, and you are on a private tour, YOU have the responsibility of reaching your guide or driver to work out the details.

On our 2006 Nautica cruise, that was the case with us in Athens...Only after we were already on the ship did we find out of a late schedule change with the port visit to Athens being changed to a diffferent date--flipped with the Santorini visit. In Santorini, we were renting a car and doing our own thing on that cruise...but, in Athens, we had arranged for a private tour. I was able to reach our highly recommended tour guide by phone from the ship---but, unfortunately, he was not available on the new date. He was gracious and, without penalty, arranged for another guide, a friend of his, to take us that day. Of course, we lost the benefit of having booked way in advance the highly recommended guide and I am sure the guide we got, though adequate, was not quite up to what we had originally booked...

Of course, some guides, in some ports, don't have that simple a change or cancellation policy...so beware...one of the risks of private tours. Never an issue with shorexes.

Same cruise, our visit to Delos was canceled due to high winds. We had a shorex scheduled there...so...no problem, Oceania merely refunded everyone's money.

If you do have private tours booked, make sure you have your cell phone with you and that it works in Europe...and that you carry the phone numbers (and email addresses) for all of your guides. If you have a change in dock location (say Sorrento or Naples for Amalfi), you can call your guide as soon as you learn about the change and redirect him to meet you at the new docking spot.

I'd say not to worry much because it hardly ever happens...except, obviously, it does!!!

Back on the famous non-Libya cruise in November 2005 we had a last minute change of itinerary. A couple of ports were deleted (can you spell L-I-B-Y-A?), a couple switched dates, and there were one or two replacements.

We'd booked for a group of 8 on our Casablanca date for a trip to Rabat, but our highly recommended guide was not available on the changed date and so he recommended a friend ... who really was not competent. It wasn't horrible, but it was far less than it could have been.

The replacement guide's English was not great and when he discovered that I understood his French, I became the official translator.

Things like this don't often happen, but as Steve said -- they can.

So when you book your private tours, it's preferable to book with someone who will refund your money (or not require a deposit) if something untoward occurs.

Quite a number of tour guides/agencies only want to be paid in cash on the day ... others want a deposit or full payment in advance. YOU have to decide what you are willing to risk.

For next week's cruise (Civitavecchia-Istanbul on Marina) we've booked Drive Amalfi from Sorrento -- they just want to be paid in cash. If we get diverted to Naples, just let them know. In Athens, we had to pay in advance with Athens Walking Tours but they have assured me they will refund our money if riots/strikes resume and we can't get there. Our private tour to synagogues in Istanbul wanted to be paid in advance but we aren't worried about having to cancel there. Likewise our tour of Ephesus was paid in advance.

So there are always risks ... you just need to be aware of them.

Mura

Archived