Cabin located under Dining Room...

Zezzie

We just got our cabin assignment and we're located under the MDR. Please be honest and tell me if this is going to be a very noisy cabin. I've never had a room like this before on other cruise lines - we're usually nestled between other decks of cabins.

I wouldn't expect noise under the dining room. It's a room of quiet activities (setting tables, eating), and the floor is carpeted.

You'll be up, and probably out of your cabin during lunch, tea, and dinner. That leaves the early hours of breakfast that could possbily be disturbing. People aren't noisy before they've had their coffee.

We have had one cabin under the dining room and it was fine except for on the Master Chef night when it sounded like a heard of elephants going through for about 5 minutes towards the end of first seating dinner. Just the Baked Alaska and chef parade, so not a problem.

We were in cabin 1115 on the Oosterdam, and it was very quiet, only heard our neighbors once, no noise from above, and very little engine sounds. I did think the ventilation fan in the cabin was rather loud, but that is probably the same anywhere.

It's the galley you have to be concerned with. We were under the galley once and had loud noise from carts rolling along floors and it lasted until 11 pm. or midnight. Find out where the galley might be.

Yep, under the galley is not the place to be; Noise until late at night and the carts start to roll at 4 a.m. Also big items seem to be dropped. So the storage area there is a problem also. Under the actual seating area isn't a noisy problem.

RIght! there is nothing saying "galley". Under the actual room should be okay unless you go to bed at 8! But even then, it is not unbearable! Look at it this way--you don't have far to go to get to the dining room. Have a great trip.

is the galley the non marked areas of the ship on the same floor as the MDR? If so then we are not under that...looks like we are under the actual dining room.

If you are aft of the aft elevators, then you are under the dining room.

So, where is the galley located on ships? I read that book by the American ship employee and it seemed it was far, far away from the dining room.

If someone answers I don't have to pay to do a ship's tour to satisfy my curiosity!!

If someone answers I don't have to pay to do a ship's tour to satisfy my curiosity!!
When you take the (free) tour of the galley offered each cruise, you'll see that it is adjacent to the lower level of the MDR. Escalators take the waiters/food to the upper level.

Archived