Dawn Secrets and Hints?

gail-s

Does the dawn or ncl in general allow you to purchase bottles of alcohol for your room?

Sailing July 27th Boston to Bermuda!

Hello, you can order an in room bar set up of full bottles of liquor by emailing Groupeventdawn@ncl.com. In your email include the types of liquors you are interested in purchasing and the event coordinator will respond with the prices for each. Be prepared for some sicker shock; it's not cheap. I'll include some prices from a year ago. At that time, they did not pre arrange the mixers. Instead we had to order them through room service. We brought on some of our own (non alcoholic) mixers and a small blender. I think it saved some money, and we had frozen drinks any time we wanted!

Prices from January, 2011:

Smirnoff 80 $63.00 1 liter

Absolut $ 83.00 1 liter, Citron, Kurant ,Peper, Mandarin ,Apeach, Ruby Red

Grey Goose $ 103.00 1 liter, l’orange, La Vanille, La poire.

I love this thread! Sailing to Bermuda on June 8th!

I sailed on the Dawn in 2006 from New York to the Bahamas and Bermuda.

I remember some helpful "built in" navigation tips and wonder if these still apply. The carpet on some decks had fish in the border design. The first were always swimming towards the front of the ship. Also, the photos in the stairwells... Sunset in the stern (back), Marilyn Monroe for midship, and flowers in the front. Not sure if this was every deck or just the promenade.

I just went back and read the review I wrote as a 25 year old and laughed to myself. If I get up enough courage maybe I'll post the link!

• 2 months later...
I love this thread! Sailing to Bermuda on June 8th!

I sailed on the Dawn in 2006 from New York to the Bahamas and Bermuda.

I remember some helpful "built in" navigation tips and wonder if these still apply. The carpet on some decks had fish in the border design. The first were always swimming towards the front of the ship. Also, the photos in the stairwells... Sunset in the stern (back), Marilyn Monroe for midship, and flowers in the front. Not sure if this was every deck or just the promenade.

I just went back and read the review I wrote as a 25 year old and laughed to myself. If I get up enough courage maybe I'll post the link!

I would love to see it. We just sailed the Star from NY to Bermuda, but I'm a bit over 25. OK - a big bit. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks to OP for starting this as we are looking at the Dawn for a May cruise out of Boston.

We have never been on NCL nor tried free style dining. We have been on many Celebrity, Royal, Holland, Princess and Carnival all using traditional dining. We want to try NCL and this looks like a good cruise for us to try.

We are non-smokers so I guess we well look at an oceanview. We prefer balcony but I can not go out there if a neighbor is smoking so it will really be a waste to get one.

A few questions: Are lounge chairs on open decks a problem to get? Prefer shade but more an issue of getting one with only a porthole.

Any time dining; do you have to make a reservation every night, just show up what is the "real" deal on how it works.

I am sure the staff is fantastic, but as a cruiser on other lines what should I expect, we tend to be loyal to X as we have had more on that line and we will miss our perks but we want to leave from closer to home and this is our only option.

We love cruising and all cruises on all lines are great, we aren't picky, but want to know what to expect/ask for. I will miss most our free booze but maybe we can work up to it on NCL too.

Any thoughts?

Linda

Hello Linda, You are most likely back from your May cruise, and I hope you discovered that sailing NCL from a closer port can have it's advantages. If I had to rate my favorite cruise lines I would probably say #1. Celebrity, #2. NCL (mostly because of Freestyle and service), #3. Holland, #4. RCCL .. I have never cruised on Princess - but hope to some day soon, and I will probably never sail on a Carnival Ship again (even though I know that Carnival Corp. actually owns many cruise lines, including Holland & Princess).

I do miss having regular table mates for dining, and will probably sail Celebrity again soon with some friends who enjoy the more formal nature of this line .. so when I begin to miss it, I join them on one of their many cruises, probably early next year. However - I LOVE the flexibility of just going to dinner when I feel like it! The screens that show the wait times at the different dining rooms are always accurate in my experience. Plus, sometimes you can get into a specialty restaurant for a reduced price at the last minute if they are not booked for the evening. We have done this on a couple of occasions at Teppanyaki on the Jewel and again on the Spirit.

During the days at sea - there is usually a problem getting deck chairs near the pool - for two or more people. If you are on deck for an hour or so by yourself, you should have no problem at all getting one chair. I don't think any line will ever solve the problem of CHAIR HOGS ... those who go out before breakfast - leave all their stuff, and return much later to use the chairs - leaving many times during the day but never taking their "stuff", so the chairs are never available. It can be frustrating, but I just decide to not let it bother me. I never behave this way, and I believe that most people don't either.

I am also a non-smoker, but I have to have a balcony. Even in the colder climates -- I bundle up and spend time out there on every single cruise!

I am heading to Bermuda for the 3rd year in a row in August with family. They all live in the Boston area and only like this cruise because they do not have the cost of flying anywhere. I on the other hand have to fly from San Diego CA. But, I always spend time in New England in the summer, and this cruise is always so much fun for us! Can't wait!

take care,

Karen

We were told by our steward that he could not open the balcony dividers. I asked at the Guest Services desk and had it open within the hour. If the policy has changed for some reason then the worst you will be told is no! ;)

Did you have the divider open while you were in port? It has been my experience that it is not allowed for safety reasons while underway, but while docked in port they will gladly open them for you. I am hoping that is still true since we are in Bermuda for two+ days, and it will be nice to have the balcony divider open while there, at least. We too booked side by side cabins, but no connecting cabins were available (on deck 11) at the time we booked.

Karen

sailing on Dawn Sept 21! Can't wait!!

We are cramming 4 into the OV on the 5th floor.

Is the end of the hall by cabin 5156 against the kitchen? There is a line and a blank space on the deck plans and it is "under" the Aqua so we are assuming that is the case.

Does anyone have pictures of the alternate set up of the 3 beds in the U shape vs the 3 lined up against the wall???

It will be our 4 yr old on the trundle and 6 yr old on the fold down bunk.

Any tips on storing luggage in the rooms? Is there room under the beds? At least with freestyle dining won't need double the clothes for dining!

Did you have the divider open while you were in port? It has been my experience that it is not allowed for safety reasons while underway, but while docked in port they will gladly open them for you. I am hoping that is still true since we are in Bermuda for two+ days, and it will be nice to have the balcony divider open while there, at least. We too booked side by side cabins, but no connecting cabins were available (on deck 11) at the time we booked.

Karen

Karen, when are you sailing?? I am curious about this as well and I will be on the Dawn mid September. If you are going prior to that, could you please come back and let us know?

Thank you :)

• 3 weeks later...
sailing on Dawn Sept 21! Can't wait!!

We are cramming 4 into the OV on the 5th floor.

Is the end of the hall by cabin 5156 against the kitchen? There is a line and a blank space on the deck plans and it is "under" the Aqua so we are assuming that is the case.

Does anyone have pictures of the alternate set up of the 3 beds in the U shape vs the 3 lined up against the wall???

It will be our 4 yr old on the trundle and 6 yr old on the fold down bunk.

Any tips on storing luggage in the rooms? Is there room under the beds? At least with freestyle dining won't need double the clothes for dining!

Sorry I didn't see this to respond sooner. With the trundle out from under the bed, that is the best place to store luggage. We usually try to bring duffles and lower suitcases so that they can nest and fit nicely under the beds.

For the bed configuration, check out this thread http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1019322

Have a great cruise.

• 2 months later...

My husband and I are sailing on the Dawn in February 2013. We were going to do the repo in April, but changed. We booked and aft penthouse, first aft cabin. Can anyone tell me about these cabins? Our cabin # is 10228. Thank you.

Some of you were wondering :confused:

you can bring wine on-board at your port's of call, just pay the corkage fee :p you can also bring pop,soda from the port's

From NCL'S FAQ

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

The last part about TA's friend's if the wine is purchased from NCl there is no corkage fee, if not there will be a corkage fee.

Re= liqour, we paid $ 60.00+$3.00, for a bottle of Barcardi Superior in 2012, have heard prices have gone up to $80.00+$3.00, to order for your room, call the 800# and ask for bar set-up before you sail. :cool:

There will be 1 MDR open, the Buffet will be packed :eek:

There will also have a baggage, check room ,for you to leave your carry-on bag's , till your room is ready, just ask at the front desk when you board.

hope this help's

Edited by Rounder

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
We just came off the Dawn a few weeks ago and have sailed on her a few times. Any specific questions? We've already signed up for next year for the fall Boston to Bermuda cruise. So easy to access and so much fun! margretha

thanks...we are sailing on a cruise to nowhere so i'm not sure how much "regular" activities will be going on. it's been awhile since we've cruised NCL. is the smoking policy enforced or do people smoke where ever they like? also are there any areas where children are prohibited? our cabin is on deck 10...i'm thinking i chose well. do you think the higher decks are better? for us it was either deck 5 or 10