Easy walking tour in Mykonos for 80 y/o

beckytravel

Looking for a detailed walking tour we will have to take breaks due to walking issues? Or should we take taxis.

We visited Mykonos last July. We tendered into the dock that is right in the city. If you dock, you will be some distance, perhaps a mile from the city. A taxi will not help you much getting around the city. Unless you wish to go elsewhere on the island, a taxi cannot do much.

The streets in Mykonos town are narrow and most do not accomodate auto. However, some small motorized vehicles as well as motocycles will be using them.

We had a great meal in town, cannot remember the name, but it is in Frommer's guide. There are a few small cafes and places where you can stop for a drink. Also, you may be able to stop occasionally due to benches, but not much.

Enjoy your trip.

The previous poster pretty much covered the basics. I'll just add that if your ship does dock rather than tendering into the port, they usually offer a shuttle for a few dollars or euros that will take you from the ship and drop you off in town. From there you can walk around; the streets are hilly though. There are plenty of good tavernas where you can sit and enjoy a drink or a meal while people watching or just looking at the views.

Mykonos town is a beautiful harbour and town. It's possible to walk round the harbour pretty much on a level, and a number of the streets leading away from it are also quite level. There are plenty of cafes, restaurants & bars, plus some public seats, so plenty of resting opportunities.

Have a look at this website for a good map of the town, and this site for some excellent webcams of the harbour. (Of course, these webcams keeps Greek hours, so there's a 7 to 10 hour difference between Mykonos and the USA - e.g. when it's noon in New York it's 7pm in Mykonos and when it's noon in Mykonos it's 5am in NYC!)

My 80 y/o mother and I were in Mykonos at the end of May last yr. Our ship was tendered; first we wandered along the harbor and checked out that little church by the pier, then we walked into the winding alleys where all the shops are. Those alleys start going uphill pretty quickly.

Then we walked to the much-photographed 4 windmills and Little Venice. That was a pretty easy walk and there are restaurants and places to sit along the way.

Have a look at this website for a good map of the town, and this site for some excellent webcams of the harbour. (Of course, these webcams keeps Greek hours, so there's a 7 to 10 hour difference between Mykonos and the USA - e.g. when it's noon in New York it's 7pm in Mykonos and when it's noon in Mykonos it's 5am in NYC!)

Hmm - it looks as if Cruise Critic has removed the URL I think I put in. Here it is again. The site is mykon dot net .

Archived