MDR for breakfast question

DeRon

I noticed you had been on Princess ships before, and the policy is the same.. Sure there are tables for two, but "as to being parked with strangers"? why go on a cruise with 1000's of other folks, if you don't want to enjoy some comraderie? Much of the fun on a cruise is meeting other folks from all over the globe.

I noticed you had been on Princess ships before, and the policy is the same.. Sure there are tables for two, but "as to being parked with strangers"? why go on a cruise with 1000's of other folks, if you don't want to enjoy some comraderie? Much of the fun on a cruise is meeting other folks from all over the globe.

Do you have to eat with people to meet people? Even with a table for two, we have found that we still talk to people next to us. We talk and meet people all day long on a cruise, on tours, walking in the ports, etc. So, if people want a table for two, let them enjoy their requests and desires.

Yes, there are some people that othres may not click with. Been there and experienced that once in a while.

Like some people say, 'it is our vacation, let us enjoy it as we want.' Different strokes for different folks! Happy Cruising.

Well first, We always ate in the Horizon Court for breakfast and it was always packed and crazy. never the MDR. That's why I asked.

Second, I disagree with your premise...that if you are on a ship with thousands of people, you can't have alone time (or shouldn't)? We love people! But when you are around people you don't know, you end up spending all your time talking to them instead of those you love. My opinion of course. :p

We love a table for two, and rarely dine any other way. We have tried the larger tables in the past dozens of times and we usually end up with at least one (male or female passenger) at the large tables that is not just there to visit, but has a non stop motor mouth. And at breakfast, that is something that doesn't interest either of us, in fact, that doesn't interest us at any meal. ;)

We enjoy our peaceful meals together with just the two of us.

We meet lots of passengers onboard, but do not cruise to listen to some talk non stop through every course. Just 'our way' to enjoy our cruise. :)

Not only a table for 2 but a table for one if you want. Much to my mother's disgust, I read when eating (or at least while waiting for food to arrive) so I often ask for a table for one in the MDR so I can do that and not offend anyone I'm on a table with. That doesn't stop me talking to people on surrounding tables though.

We love a table for two, and rarely dine any other way. We have tried the larger tables in the past dozens of times and we usually end up with at least one (male or female passenger) at the large tables that is not just there to visit, but has a non stop motor mouth. And at breakfast, that is something that doesn't interest either of us, in fact, that doesn't interest us at any meal. ;)

We meet lots of passengers onboard, but do not cruise to listen to some talk non stop through every course. Just 'our way' to enjoy our cruise. :)

Well said. That's exactly how my wife and I feel. We prefer to eat at a table for two and enjoy each others company. I am very uncomfortable eating in front of strangers. I feel that I have to be "on" the entire meal, and I do not enjoy my meal because of it. That's the way I have always been. That was the one thing I didn't like about my early cruises ... sharing tables with strangers. I was very happy when the Anytime concept was introduced, and we can now be guaranteed a table for two.

Everyone is different. Some people are outgoing and enjoy eating with others. That's great. I would never badmouth them for that. Yet, whenever someone states that they would prefer to eat with just their party, there is always someone that puts them down for that.

Toto I agree with you. Many times we cruise with friends but we only agree to meet for dinner. Breakfast time for us is early..for some later. We do not enjoy waiting to fill a table before we can order breakfast. Your comment about non stop talkers is spot on.

The MDR is a great place for breakfast. It is not crowded then and you should be able to get a table just for the two of you. You will usually be seated at a table for four with no one else. It is only open for breakfast for two hours - 7:00 to 9:00 on port days and 7:30 to 9:30 on sea days (at least on the Sapphire).

When eating breakfast in the MDR, can you request to eat at a table for 2 instead of being parked with strangers?
We will often request (and be given) a table for two for breakfast, especially if we have gotten up early for an excursion. I am definitely not a morning person, and we can then choose to be either quiet or sociable with neighbors depending on our mood at the time. With a table for two most people will respect the fact that we are not very conversational.

Others have implied that one advantage of eating at a table for two is quite faster than eating with a group of "strangers". My husband and I were seated at a huge table as we were approaching San Francisco. We were one of the first in the MDR after it opened. After waiting for our main course for 50 minutes, we saw the Golden Gate Bridge approaching. We had to leave because being outside for taking pictures meant so much more to us than completing our meal.

It can be a fun experience talking to other passengers, but waiting for all of them to arrive and fill the table, plus getting all the "courses" such as coffee, juice, fruit, pastries, etc. takes a lot of time.

Lesson learned.

Patsy

We request a table for two when we're in a hurry at breakfast and lunch. That way, we don't have to wait for others to be served all the different courses. It can be especially slow if you're the first couple at a table and several others join you.

Not only a table for 2 but a table for one if you want. Much to my mother's disgust, I read when eating (or at least while waiting for food to arrive) so I often ask for a table for one in the MDR so I can do that and not offend anyone I'm on a table with. That doesn't stop me talking to people on surrounding tables though.

I wonder if you and I might be related. I take my iPad with me to meals and read through all my meals. I always request a table for 1; meals are "me" time.

Archived