Some Silly Q's From a Newbie

camelotcats

Hello all,

My dh and I will be taking our first cruise ever on June 10 on the QM2 TA. I have been reading these boards for a few weeks, and although the information here is fabulous and so helpful, I have a few little questions I cannot seem to find the answers to, if you all could help me, please?

1. Is there some sort of soda card/wrisband available for purchase? My mother told me about one of these that she used on a Princess cruise, and I was wondering if Cunard did the same.

2. If I want to make reservations at an alternate dining venue, would I be able to do so on the ship?

3. Our flight is getting into LaGuardia at 10am, but our boarding time is listed at 3:30pm. would it be better to just go directly to the port and wait, or should we think about a quick side trip for lunch/visiting?

4. IF, say, I wanted to have room service in my room in the early morning, then catch a late breakfast; or have dinner in the MDR, then some late nosh in the pub, would I get in trouble for "double dipping" on my meals?

and

5. Is there a lot of waiting in lines while on board? I know this sounds like a silly question, but when deciding on the height of the heels you plan to packing, the amount of time spent standing becomes more important.

Like, I said, this is our first cruise, and we are very excited. We are scheduled for the early dinner seating, which I think will be great. If there is any other advice you would like to throw our way, I would relish it. Thanks so much!

-Angela

1. Is there some sort of soda card/wrisband available for purchase? My mother told me about one of these that she used on a Princess cruise, and I was wondering if Cunard did the same.

Yes, a soda card is available for purchase. I don't know the exact current price but I think it is about $3.50 per day. Juice, tea & coffee is available at no extra charge in King's Court and Connexions (QM2's Internet/Computer center). I do think you have to buy the card the first day on board.

2. If I want to make reservations at an alternate dining venue, would I be able to do so on the ship? You make reservations at alternate dining venues on board.

3. Our flight is getting into LaGuardia at 10am, but our boarding time is listed at 3:30pm. would it be better to just go directly to the port and wait, or should we think about a quick side trip for lunch/visiting?

Passenger boarding usually starts around 11:30. In our experience this is the best time to board as it is before the long lines form and it is nice to walk around the ship without the crowds. King's Court will be serving lunch and the Terrace Bar will be open, which is a nice place to get a cocktail and look at the Brooklyn Bridge & lower Manhattan.

4. IF, say, I wanted to have room service in my room in the early morning, then catch a late breakfast; or have dinner in the MDR, then some late nosh in the pub, would I get in trouble for "double dipping" on my meals? Not at all. I'm a "2 breakfast" man myself and believe me, nobody keeps score.. And room service is available 24 hours and there is always something available at King's Court.

and

5. Is there a lot of waiting in lines while on board? I know this sounds like a silly question, but when deciding on the height of the heels you plan to packing, the amount of time spent standing becomes more important.

Usually, no. The trick is to get to popular events early. The longest lines I have seen was when an author was signing books. But this can be overcome by asking the bookstore to get a copy signed for you and they will do so. The biggest challenge regarding lines (or queues) is getting off the ship.

Wonderful! Thank you so much for all of your answers!

Is is a bad thing to admit that I already have most of my clothes chosen out for the cruise portion of the trip? This is our 10 year wedding anniversary trip, and I have been so very excited about the two of us getting away alone. On our honeymoon, we ordered RS every morning and drank our tea while we watched the sun come up. It is a cherished memory that we wish to recreate as closely as possible (probably no sunrise, but an ocean view is always a pleasure). However, I know I'm going to be hungry come 9ish, so it is a great relief knowing I can feed my inner hobbit with some second breakfast. :) (Also, probably a good thing most of my slacks have hidden elastic inserts)

One other question, since I am now a little bit paranoid about it after reading some reviews....

I have a HUGE tattoo. HUGE. As in, my entire back and the back of my neck are illustrated. All of my formal wear shows part of this tattoo (to show all of it would probably be indecent. ;) ) Is this going to be a problem? Most of my daywear covers the tattoo, because sun can damage it, and I cover it on a regular basis for work, but my "dress up" clothing does not take the tattoo into account.

With the linking of tattoos and lower class, should I look into investing in a shawl or wrap so as not to offend other people? I am younger (mid-30s) and have never associated tattoos with a rough or classless group of people, but I understand that there may be some older people on the cruise. Does consideration for my fellow passengers dictate that I cover up?

Angela

One other question, since I am now a little bit paranoid about it after reading some reviews....

I have a HUGE tattoo. HUGE. As in, my entire back and the back of my neck are illustrated. All of my formal wear shows part of this tattoo (to show all of it would probably be indecent. ;) ) Is this going to be a problem? Most of my daywear covers the tattoo, because sun can damage it, and I cover it on a regular basis for work, but my "dress up" clothing does not take the tattoo into account.

With the linking of tattoos and lower class, should I look into investing in a shawl or wrap so as not to offend other people? I am younger (mid-30s) and have never associated tattoos with a rough or classless group of people, but I understand that there may be some older people on the cruise. Does consideration for my fellow passengers dictate that I cover up?

Angela

Angela, I think the answer would depend on what your tatoo depicts :) -S.

It's an angel sitting on a rock in front of a beach with a rose on my neck.

Sounds like a very pretty scene, and not at all offensive. Some consider tatoos an art form of ancient origin. If you too feel that way, I see no reason why you should cover your tatoo. Afterall it's a part of you that you relish; no need to take extra measures to hide it IMHO:)

Enjoy your voyage!

Salacia

As you have mentioned your tattoo and you seem to have concerns about the reaction that some might have to it, you might feel more comfortable if you did wear a shawl or something similar. No-one will be pointing at you I assure you but it may allow you to relax more.

It's an angel sitting on a rock in front of a beach with a rose on my neck.

Camelotcats, if, as I suspect, it has been done by a tattoo artist rather than by a tattooist I think you will be surprised by the number of people who ask you about it. I know lots of people who have exquisite skin art. Skin art is expensive and time consuming and painful and not the kind of thing you have done on the spur of the moment after a drink too many, those are the stigmatising ones. If you are not ashamed of it then show it. If only part of the angel is visible you can bet your bottom dollar you will be asked about it. And secretly some of the women will envy you.

And to preempt the questions I can see coming, yes I do have one, very small, to my own design, and only visible in public if I should, heaven forfend, wear a Speedo.

An Inky Gary

Camelotcats, if, as I suspect, it has been done by a tattoo artist rather than by a tattooist I think you will be surprised by the number of people who ask you about it. I know lots of people who have exquisite skin art. Skin art is expensive and time consuming and painful and not the kind of thing you have done on the spur of the moment after a drink too many, those are the stigmatising ones. If you are not ashamed of it then show it. If only part of the angel is visible you can bet your bottom dollar you will be asked about it. And secretly some of the women will envy you.

And to preempt the questions I can see coming, yes I do have one, very small, to my own design, and only visible in public if I should, heaven forfend, wear a Speedo.

An Inky Gary

Gari, I have to wonder quite how long you have patiently waited for the opportunity to arise which would allow you to announce to the world that you are the proud owner of both a tattoo and Speedos. I must congratulate you.

Gari, I have to wonder quite how long you have patiently waited for the opportunity to arise which would allow you to announce to the world that you are the proud owner of both a tattoo and Speedos. I must congratulate you.

I feel a little queasy. I am now eagerly awaiting the response from a certain world famous deceased cat!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

J

4. IF, say, I wanted to have room service in my room in the early morning, then catch a late breakfast; or have dinner in the MDR, then some late nosh in the pub, would I get in trouble for "double dipping" on my meals?

Angela,

the only trouble that you might get into from the program that you outline above is that, were word of your eating habits to reach the ears of the ship's medical staff, they may begin to worry that they had an anorexic on board! :D:D:D

Someone once calculated that the longest continuous period in an average Cunard day that you might have to go without sustenance of any kind was 15 minutes! So get in there and get the old yaffling spanners working overtime is my advice.

Jimmy Three Breakfasts

Hi I'd say the soda card is not really worth it, we have done 2 TA's and the first leg of the world cruise just gone. We had lunch a few times in the pub had soft drinks ect it only cost a couple of $ no biggie. You can get soft drinks from the Kings Court you are never that far away, so you'll not starve or die of thirst.

We nearly always order tea and coffee in the mornings then go for breakfast mainly because it's something that you don't do at home and it's nice.

Have a great time.

Hi I'd say the soda card is not really worth it, we have done 2 TA's and the first leg of the world cruise just gone. We had lunch a few times in the pub had soft drinks ect it only cost a couple of $ no biggie. You can get soft drinks from the Kings Court you are never that far away, so you'll not starve or die of thirst.

We nearly always order tea and coffee in the mornings then go for breakfast mainly because it's something that you don't do at home and it's nice.

Have a great time.

I wish they had a coffee card instead of a soda card. We didn't get much value out of the soda card and won't purchase one again. Purchasing the card did however enable us to do something in the Winter Garden (apart from walk through it) so that's one good thing that came out of it.

To say or even impute that I own Speedos is a foul calumny sir, the more hurtful as coming from a supposed friend.

A libelled Gari

Angela

Should not be a problem at all. We've seen plenty of folks with tattoos. "Lydia, oh Lydia,say have you met Lydia"...(some will most definately catch this one!!)

Should not be a problem at all. We've seen plenty of folks with tattoos. "Lydia, oh Lydia,say have you met Lydia"...(some will most definately catch this one!!)

Yes, I definitely caught that "Lydia" reference. What I found particularly interesting as I went surfing to refresh my memory of the song's lyrics is that there is actually a wikipedia article on "Lydia the Tattooed Lady". I supposed I should not have been surprised.

Regards,

John.

You mean there're versions other than Kermit's???:confused:

...scurries off to youtube...

ow

Now then, now then, now then, you lot! You'll be putting the young lady off. My advice Cammy is this, on the first formal night wear a dress with the lowest back that decency permits and revel in the attention.

Gari

My advice Cammy is this, on the first formal night wear a dress with the lowest back that decency permits and revel in the attention.

Gari

Some may stare in admiration, others in consternation, but in the end, I suspect neither should bother you. Now do be prepared, as I am sure you will be, for some to seek to engage you in conversation about your body art. While I do not have any of my own, I do enjoy hearing about the personal choices others have made and how they view their own tattoos. And I am not speaking of whether contortionist positions are required!:D

Some may stare in admiration, others in consternation, but in the end, I suspect neither should bother you. Now do be prepared, as I am sure you will be, for some to seek to engage you in conversation about your body art. While I do not have any of my own, I do enjoy hearing about the personal choices others have made and how they view their own tattoos. And I am not speaking of whether contortionist positions are required!:D

Oh, how I have missed your marvelous musings!:):):)

Archived