Is longer better

humboldt74

The company I work for offers me an eight week sabatical and my wife and I have talked about taking a 25 to 30 day cruise. Princess offers an "Islands of the Pacific Theater" cruise that I would love to take. What is the general impression of these longer cruises? Have many out there taken them? Anyone gone on the "Islands of the Pacific Theater" cruise? Would love to hear any and all opinions.

Diamond Princess Alaska 05/2004

Diamond Princess Mexico 02/2005

Golden Princess Canada/New England 10/2005

We were on the Pacific Princess for the WW II Pacific Islands cruise last July. I think it was around 24 days. We loved it and would do another long cruise in a heartbeat. Our dream cruise is a 30 day from Europe to the far east. The cruise last July was for my husband who is a WWII history nut. It was everything he hoped for and more. Just being on those islands were awesome. I wasn't sure about the Pacific Princess as it only has around 680 passengers and was smaler than we had been on. We loved the size of the ship and didn't get seasick at all. The ship is not glitzy but very old world in decor (which is good). Had a balcony on the 7th deck and it was a nice size - had a small love seat in it also. The food was good and crew were nice. You had a chance to meet alot of people since it was a smaller ship and you run in to each other all the time. There is a laundry room also which came in handy. There was a lecturer on board who gave talks before going to each island. He was very knowledgeable and the information made you feel as if you were there when everything was going on. We missed the island of Papua New Guiena due to local unrest but the Captain took us through areas that cruise ships don't go through to make up for not getting to Papua NG. Got to see the island where Pres Kennedy had to land when he lost his PT boat. All in all it was a great cruise and one you should go on.

We were on that cruise w/Tina & Ken.......I agree with everything she has posted. If possible however, I would suggest a Mini-Suite......we kept bumping into eachother in the Balcony..........the most space you can afford for those longer cruises! :D The Minis on the Pacific are fabulous (We were on the Tahitian, sister ship....and loved the Mini) Good Luck.....GotToCruise (aka Renee)

We sailed LA to Sydney just over a year ago, 25 days. I loved every minute of it, although DH said there were just too many sea days for his liking. So much will depend on IF you enjoy lots of days at sea. On these longer sailings visiting so many assorted ports of call, it does take time to get to each one.

I do back up Renee's suggestion of a mini suite or better though. A lot more comfortable if you have a lilttle home away from home then just a bedroom.

We took a variation of the Pacific Islands/Pacific Theater of War, on the old Sky Princess, San Francisco to Sydney, Sep 00, 27 nights - and it was wonderful. Great for history buffs.

Seriously thinking about taking Pacific Princess's version in '06 or '07 if offered.

We love longer cruises, and I can honestly say I have never been bored on a sea day (or series of sea days).

WE just did a 28 day cruise Fort lauderdale to Buenos Aires WONDERFUL.

We were on Celebrity's Infinity a newer larger ship and put 2 cruises together back to back to get the 28 days. Now I do not want to go back to the 14 days. Before that it was the 7 that were too short.

By being on the ship longer you really get to know the staff and they get to know you. It seemed that everywhere we went on the ship someone was greeting us by name. Also a lot (250) of the passengers were staying on for the 2 cruises and we all got very friendly so there was always someone to sit and have coffee & a chat with. Made the cruise the most friendly cruise we have ever been on even though it was the cruise with the largest number of passengers that we have ever sailed with before (2000).

I am looking at the Med next and want more than 2 weeks.

The longer cruises are wonderful if you truly enjoy "cruising" in the traditional sense. Once you've done a longer cruise, a 7-day cruise is just too short (but what the heck, I do it anyway.) I love it when you get to know the staff and because they know you, they take extra special care of you.

As the others have said, "Do it!"

So far the longest we have done, is the 15 day Hawaiian cruise. It was so relaxing & wonderful. Loved the sea days.

After we do Alaska in 2006, that will be the end of 7 day cruises for us. Just too short. At least 10 days or longer, from then on.

Minette

After we do Alaska in 2006, that will be the end of 7 day cruises for us. Just too short. At least 10 days or longer, from then on.

I love the longer cruises because you don't get as many kids on them. Also, they are a different environment ... you get a mix of experienced cruisers ... people who cruise because they love it. I did a b2b on the Zuiderdam last summer ... two 7-day cruises. While I enjoyed it, it was not the same thing as a longer cruise. Up to that point, 10-days had been my longest.

I'm leaving for a 15-day Hawaii next month and the prospect of all those days at sea is truly appealing to me. I go on vacation to relax, and I don't have to be busy every second of the day. But, in perusing the Patters that DesertNurse was so kind to provide, I see that there is certainly no lack of activities on those sea days if one wants to be busy. I could find enough things to fill an entire day.

Now, the 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise I have booked on HAL next January will be my longest yet ... and probably my max as long as I am working. Even more sea days ... more port days ... and a couple of overnighters. Can't wait.

Yep, never again a 7-day cruise ... unless it was for something really special (like a HAL CCers group cruise that is in the planning stages for fall 2006). To me, it's just not worth it. And ... the environment on the boat is entirely different.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm into my "dream" cruises and hoping not to do anymore 7 day cruises! :-) I'll be on the Sea Princess for 21 days in Sept (7 + 14 days) and I'm hoping I like it! I want to move on to 24, 30, etc.!

I tell everyone this is why I'm back to work, to pay for my cruises, took early retirement at 55, and realized I needed to fund my cruise habit! Sailing single, the longer cruises are unbelieveable price wise!

Susie

vwelt, While in the Coast Guard I was stationed at CGAS Humboldt Bay in Northern California. It is a very special place for me. But thats another story. While in the CG I was stationed on the CG cutter Basswood, a WWII era Bouy tender, home ported out of Guam. I went to so many small out of the way islands while on board. Can honestly say that was the best 18 months of my military career. I would love to show my wife the place I have been. All the replys I have received so far make me want to go right now. Have to wait until 08 though. And god yes the bar bill. Is there such a thing as rationing out the grog?

I can't even imagine what my bar bill would look like after 30 days!! :eek:

And eating like that for 30 days :eek: :eek: :eek: !

Yikes!!

Deb

That's an interesting point ... but a concern that personally doesn't bother me. I'm a bit wierd. I can't stand getting up from a table stuffed to the point that I can barely walk. So, the way I play it on cruises is that I eat when I am hungry. If I go to the dining room one night with not much appetite, I am not shy about just ordering salad and an appetizer. On a cruise ship, I know I can always get more to eat later if I get hungry. I have no intentions on the 30-day cruise of eating large meals every day. In fact, I will probably skip the dining room entirely on some of the formal nights since I hate getting dressed up anyway. I figure there will probably be at least six formal nights on a 30-day cruise, and there is no way I'm stuffing myself into formal clothes six times while on vacation.

As for the bar bill ... I'm not a really big drinker. I generally have a pina colada each day ... maybe two if I'm feeling adventuresome.

It's funny, but I usually lose weight during a cruise ... not much ... just maybe a pound or two. This is probably because I tend to do things in each port and am probably more physically active than I usually am at home because of that. So, I'm hoping to continue that weight loss tradition on the Amsterdam next January. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I

I'm leaving for a 15-day Hawaii next month and the prospect of all those days at sea is truly appealing to me. I go on vacation to relax, and I don't have to be busy every second of the day. But, in perusing the Patters that DesertNurse was so kind to provide, I see that there is certainly no lack of activities on those sea days if one wants to be busy. I could find enough things to fill an entire day.

Just wondering if you can send those to me. I know they might change before we go but just wondering

Archived