Is this a new dress code for men?

dwelsh

From the CC review of Marina:-

Marina Dress Code

Think casual-but-elegant throughout the ship, both day and night. Tank tops and swimwear are discouraged at all times from any of the restaurants, while shorts, jeans, T-shirts, sneakers and sandals are not allowed in most eateries at dinner. Men can't go wrong with blazers and slacks after sunset, while women will feel comfortable in dresses or skirts with blouses.

I think that is the first time this suggestion has been made.

It's fine with me because the A/C is sometimes rather chilly.

I have to say that I agree!! I always pack a sports coat for my husband and he usually wears it to Polo and/or Toscano. Is it really that big of an issue? He doesn't think so. And he looks so cute dressed up!!

On our recent Marina TA I wore sport coats (no tie) on several evenings, especially in the specialty restaurants, just because it felt comfortable. There is NO requirement to do so and there were many men wearing slacks and shirts. You won't feel out of place either way. I think this has always been the approach on Oceania and doesn'r represent any change in dress policy.

Dennis

We recently were on the Regatta and my husband did not wear a sports jacket to anything and felt comfortable. There were men who wore sports jackets to dine in the specialty restaurants. I think it is up to the individual and their luggage considerations. I think the code is there to keep people from dining in swimsuits, shorts, and tanks,etc. Given the age of most passengers I think that we will not have a problem with swimsuits, etc. in the dining room.

The statement, "you can't go wrong..." is accurate, because while it's not required, a sports coat is not against the rules. I wear one often, and had 3 with me on the Marina maiden and inaugural voyages and wore them to the GDR, Terrace Cafe and specialty dining rooms. I like to wear them; Betsy says it's because I think they hide my pot belly ;)

Because we're traveling in a small RV (with no room for suitcases) to Vancouver to fly to our Alaska cruise in June, our cruise packing will have to be in collapsible carry-on size duffel bags. Therefore. I'm only taking one sports coat, which I'll wear on the plane.

And you looked very handsome in your sport jackets, Don. Now, I am wondering about the wording of the women's new dress code - dresses or blouses and skirts? What happened to pants and a nice top or a complete pants suit? Don't tell me they have re-written our comfort zone. Sure hope not.

Bobi

Is this from Oceania ? :confused:

Yes Lyn, it is from the CC review of Marina.

Don't know why so many people are, "in a tizzy" about this post. We all know what we can wear and be comfortable in, my point is that this is the first time I have seen any mention of "blazer" in anything "O!"

I see that many have offered that a jacket isn't onerous, but the question was: is this new. And another question was where was this description from.

I looked at the 2012 European Collection brochure as well as the 2011-12 brochure online, and both continue to simply say "Country club casual ambiance."

I agree that some people do wear jackets, and a smaller number do wear ties. Not onerous, but in answer to the question, I don't see that they are required/specified/suggested anywhere that I can see. Nice slacks and collared shirts still seem to me to qualify as "country club casual," and seem to me to still be suffice if that is your bent.

Yes Lyn, it is from the CC review of Marina.

So it is not from Oceania just the opinion of a reviewer

Maybe the reviewer does not know the CCC policy on Oceania :rolleyes:

One of the things we love most of all about "O" is the casual dress code. I brought a jacket on my 1st "O" cruise, but never wore it. My jacket was not packed for the other "O"cruises. Wearing a jacket has NOTHING with being a 'big boy' for certain. I've seen too many slobs whose clothes looked fine, but their behavior was not. I have never understood how anyone else's clothes could influence my having a good time or not!

Here's the byline:

"By John Deiner, Managing Editor"

So it is by a cruise critic editor and is not a new Oceania policy.

As I posted on the introduction to this thread, "From the CC review of Marina:-"

Just thought it was an interesting remark! Did not quote from any "O" publication.

I have no problem with OTHERS wearing sports coats...

But, for ME, it's sort of an unnecessary waste of space...

I'm on a 16 night cruise...and, together with a pre- and post-cruise stay, we're packing for 23 days...

Space is limited...

Even without airline restrictions, I am restricted by the space in my rental car trunk...and I am restricted by how much luggage I care to schlep around...

One of the things I like about Oceania is the lack of formal nights and ridding me of the burden of schlepping a tuxedo...

Now, if it is in any way expected that one wears a sports coat to the dining room and restaurants, note that, on a 16 night cruise, it would be rather bizarre to wear the same coat every night...So, for 16 nights and a variety of outfits, we're talking, what, 4, 5, 6 sports coats? Seriously? That's a whole extra suitcase...

No, thank you...

I will dress very nicely, but CASUAL...

My wardrobe will be classy, but comfortable...and lightweight...

I won't mind YOU wearing a coat if you don't mind my NOT wearing one...Deal?

I never once wore a sports jacket or blazer and never intend to. It's the one real reason I sail on Oceania. If I have to wear a jacket I'll sail on Seabourn.

Or Crystal or Silversea...well spoken...guess I'll keep my "little boy" pants packed and ready to go.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Of all the topics that set off a firestorm (foreign transaction fees, free drinks or cost, smoking, etc. etc.) the one usually labeled "Dress Code" is one that never ends.

Some read over their brochures, look at the posed pictures of the "plastic people" and immediately begin to think that they MUST dress exactly like that!

Where in the writings of nautical history does it say that we all must dress exactly "Like Those in the Books"? Just a few words somewhere about wearing jackets, no jeans, no flip-flops and off goes the firestorm.

Folks, we're on Oceania because of the informality, the ambiance and the enjoyable presence of our fellow travelers. Of the cruises we have taken, never, never have we ever witnessed anything even coming close to "outlandish".

Keep cool - and continue to sail with Oceania looking as wonderful as you all have done in the past!!

Archived