What would it take to Change Your Travel Plans?

sail7seas

The other thread running about recent events urging some to change their travel plans and the overwhelming response is No.

Makes me curious, what would it take for you to cancel plans to travel to Europe/Asia in the near future?

If the ships go, you will go no matter what?

Do you depend entirely upon the fact the ships will not go where it is risky?

Something like the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster in Japan would cause me to change my travel plans, if they involved the country affected. It would be more of a case of not unduly straining the resources of a country in their time of need rather than my personal safety.

My travel plans will change when there has been a change at the destination that has a significant probability of altering my vacation plans in a negative way. If there's only a 1% chance of a military attack, natural disaster, or whatever...I'll take my chances. You can't live life hiding! But if there's a 50% chance of one of those things, I'd definitely make alternate arrangements. So for me, it is based less on what could possibly happen, and more on the probabilities.

As you pointed out so well on the other thread, the answer will depend on the age, travel experience, general health, and perceptions of the individual traveler.

For me, I am used to traveling solo -- on cruises, on group tours, and totally on my own. I often make all my own arrangements, from flights to hotels to figuring out public transportation and getting myself around in ports. I am comfortable using my cell phone when I travel, as well as internet, whether it's on my own laptop or at an internet point.

I say all this by way of pointing out that spur of the moment changes, re-routes, changes to set plans usually don't bother me much. I know I can rework my plans if need be. Because I do all my own research and legwork, I'm usually pretty familiar with whatever options there are in a given city before I ever get there.

So.....for me, the "no-go" points for travel would be the following:

1) An overwhelming natural disaster (as pointed out previously) such as the earthquake/tsunami in Japan or the earthquake in Haiti a couple of years ago.

2) An ongoing war (or war in all but official name) in a given country; whether or not that war was with the US. Just too risky.

3) Instability within a country that would be likely to compromise the travel infrastructure in an unpredictable way (e.g., Egypt in February).

4) I will give some credence to actual US State Department warnings (as opposed to "advisories") if they are specific and targeted. However, some warnings/advisories have been in effect for years and in those cases I usually rely on my own research and judgement in making a decision -- for example, Israel or Mexico.

Also, I don't depend on the cruise lines to decide where it is too risky to travel. My own risk tolerance appears to be somewhat higher than they can allow (for the reason stated above: insurance). But anyone who knows me will tell you that when I am thinking of traveling somewhere, I research the heck out of it. So ultimately my decision is my own. Last year I traveled to Syria, and everything was fine. Would I travel to Syria now? Likely I would not.

Health issues will (and have) certainly make me change the plans. Once had to cancel a trip due to a broken bone - yeah, I am such a whimp :p

Terrorism? Heck, no, those changes will be up to the captain. He's paid to do it for me :)

Archived