Power strip confiscation

Hi, I was wondering, of the power strips that were confiscated, what kind were they. The basic kind of the heavy duty ones. It seems like the bigger ones imply that you are really going to be plugging in a lot of things, yet I would think they are safer than the small strips. Anyone have any experience with this? I haven't gotten our power strip yet. We will only have our two sets of walkie talkies to plug in.

My recommendation would be a power strip with a built in circuit breaker. Carnival will confiscate a power strip if it appears to be a fire hazard and the circuit breaker will give you an extra level of protection.

:)

My power strip was taken on the Dream and the Valor. Always take a brand new one with three outlets and surge protector always return to original package. Other ships don't take them. Dream took it from carry on. Valor from suitcase. You just never know.

I've posted this before, but this is a picture of my "power strip". I purchased it at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I've never had a problem.

Oh thanks for the repost!!! I was looking for this! Some of the cabin outlets on the Dream are set up with the 3rd hole ground close to the desk top versus on top and the Belkin or similar type power strips won't fit. Hopefully our local 3Bs still has some or I can find something with that configuration for the plug.

My power strip was confiscated from my checked bag on the Carnival Legend recently. It was a regular power strip with a built in circuit breaker. They confiscated the power strip, but not my travel clothes steamer... go figure. Luckily, I had an extension cord in my carry-on.

My power strip was taken on the Dream and the Valor. Always take a brand new one with three outlets and surge protector always return to original package. Other ships don't take them. Dream took it from carry on. Valor from suitcase. You just never know.

When you say "taken" or "confiscated" do you mean for good or does it get returned at the end of the cruise?

The only thing that I ever noticed was that the steward had unplugged ours on the last cruise. For all I know he was just using the outlet for the vacuum cleaner?? Never had one taken away.

When you say "taken" or "confiscated" do you mean for good or does it get returned at the end of the cruise?

The only thing that I ever noticed was that the steward had unplugged ours on the last cruise. For all I know he was just using the outlet for the vacuum cleaner?? Never had one taken away.

I had a letter in my suitcase stating what was confiscated and that I could pick it up at the end of the cruise. I didn't bother to pick it up though.

I've seen that same thing on amazon and it had very mixed reviews. Overall positive reviews - most of the neg reviews came from the inability to charge USB devices that pulled more than half an amp. The swivel plug was a nice feature that lets you orient the thing so it fits the available wall space. Have you had any issues trying to charge anything via USB, or had issues charging two USB devices at once? It looks like the perfect item for a cruise, but the USB charging problem (if it exists) is a dealbreaker for me.

We always bring a small extension cord... the kind with 3 outlets in a row on the end. We always put it in our carry-on and haven't had a problem. It's also nice because it takes up very little room.

My power strip was confiscated from my checked bag on the Carnival Legend recently. It was a regular power strip with a built in circuit breaker. They confiscated the power strip, but not my travel clothes steamer... go figure. Luckily, I had an extension cord in my carry-on.

had brand new power strip with circuit breaker taken by my room steward on the miracle so even if you get past security watch out !!!!!!!!!

Their policy is "fairly" clear, though they apparently don't do a very good job of training their ranks - thus confiscation does sporadically occur. No problems on our last 3 Carnival sailings (and we take extension cords, 3 way adapters, small fan, white noise machine, etc...).

Tom

I, too, have never had a problem with the power strip. I take one with five outlets and a circuit breaker. I pack it along the edge of the carry on, rolling suitcase, so noe of the cord kinks when it's pack. I add it last, and slip it in around the egde and continue slipping the cord is around the edge.

It's always made it...

My "platinum" power strip/surge protector (it has been on every cruise with me) was also taken from my suitcase on Glory this past Feb. They left a letter in my suitcase. I went to Guest Services just to question why it was taken - it was returned 2 days latter, along with an apology call from the desk, and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries!:)

I would think the extension cord would have been confiscated -those are definitely not allowed!

I, too, have never had a problem with the power strip. I take one with five outlets and a circuit breaker. I pack it along the edge of the carry on, rolling suitcase, so noe of the cord kinks when it's pack. I add it last, and slip it in around the egde and continue slipping the cord is around the edge.

It's always made it...

This is the kind I also use. Mine was in a bag filled with odds and ends in my suitcase. Maybe the coiled wire (which is pretty short) caught their eye - I don't know, but I'll try again on my next cruise!

I've seen that same thing on amazon and it had very mixed reviews. Overall positive reviews - most of the neg reviews came from the inability to charge USB devices that pulled more than half an amp. The swivel plug was a nice feature that lets you orient the thing so it fits the available wall space. Have you had any issues trying to charge anything via USB, or had issues charging two USB devices at once? It looks like the perfect item for a cruise, but the USB charging problem (if it exists) is a dealbreaker for me.

I haven't had any issues at all, still use it on a daily basis and contemplating getting an extra one for my DD. I like that's its got 2 usb ports and the swivel plug, and small enough to toss into a tote bag, ie, carryon :)

Archived