carry-on luggage

brunolvr

Is there a limit for carry-on luggage when getting on the cruise ship? We're driving rather than flying so we don't have to worry about airline regulations, just cruise ship ones. Thanks!

Also remember that you have to store the luggage in your cabin. Best place is under the bed, but if you bring too much, it might be a hassle. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Statendam-Alaska '97, Veendam-NE/Canada '98, RCCL-Bermuda, '99, Am. Queen, 2000, NCL Sky-Caribbean '03, NCL Dawn - Bahamas '03

NCL Sun Panama Canal
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;4;16;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
To my knowledge, there is no limit in terms of size, weight, and number of pieces. However, a porter will take any pieces that are not airline-regulation sized carry-ons; these bags will be delivered to your cabin.

Carry-ons will probably have to be scanned before you board at a security checkpoint, just like at the airport.

Be sure you have the proper tags on ALL of your bags, showing your cabin number.

If you have too many bags and/or they are too big to keep in your cabin, your cabin steward will safely store them for you.

T

I never like to haul a bunch of stuff around, but I always keep my cosmetic/toiletry bag with me. As I recall, the scanners were very much like the type they use at airports. I would have to say no larger than the airlines would allow (carry on). May I add that, if you board early, you may not get to go to your cabin right away, you would have to keep everything with you for a while.

Kathy

Peter --dont they leave the cabin doors open until 1pm- thats why they dont allow you to go to your cabins yet. I surely dont want my stuff stolen/

Going NOWHERE
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Miracle, February 13, 2005
Legend, October 22,2004
Voyager August 31,2003
Victory September 22,2002
Regal Empress,June 2001
Sensation,August 2000

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='CaribbeanCruisesRock'][b][color=darkorange]There is not a limit of # of bags you bring but they have to be a certain weight like 50 pounds i've heard. [/color][/b][/QUOTE]

Weight limitations apply only to airlines. Cruise lines place no limits on luggage, either number of pieces or their weight. However, as previous posters have stated, carry-on pieces must fit on the x-ray scanner, just as with an airline. The scanner is quite similar in size to the ones airlines use, so I imagine if your carry-on fits on the airline scanner, it will fit on the ship's scanner as well.

[quote name='Shelli']Weight limitations apply only to airlines. Cruise lines place no limits on luggage, either number of pieces or their weight. However, as previous posters have stated, carry-on pieces must fit on the x-ray scanner, just as with an airline. The scanner is quite similar in size to the ones airlines use, so I imagine if your carry-on fits on the airline scanner, it will fit on the ship's scanner as well.[/QUOTE]
Due to new security regs on July 1 I'd check with cruise line (on website probably). the Scanners that some use will only allow up to I think 17" bags so not necessarily fitting through ship scanner if airline will check. TA or website for cruise line and the documents you receive for boarding will have specifics

If you are driving to the port, there isn't a restriction as to the number of bags you can bring on board. The only restriction is the space limitations to store your unpacked bags. As for carry on bags, they are limited in size to no larger than 17" by 11". If they are larger than that, they have to be given to the porters on the dock. While there isn't a specific weight restriction for the carry on bags, I would guess that it would be limited to what you can pick up and hoist onto the conveyor of the scanning machine.

Archived