I was torn by my choices..

RMM34667

I will be booking my cruise in three weeks. I want to book on my 49th bday for my 50th. My dream cruise is Crown Princess out of Venice 5/24/12.. But I could book RCL NOS for 1/3 of the cost. Of course it's 7 days vs. 12.. 5 ports vs 11 ports.. RCL vs PCL (but I've never cruised RCL so no negative thoughts there) The cost was just so much. Airfare and so many ports. I told my mother tonight.. I have a proposition for you that you can think about for three weeks. If we book the Princess Cruise I will pay for your cruise.. If we book the RCL cruise I'll pay for your cruise and airfare.. Think about it.. Her answer surprised me. She said let's book the Princess cruise, and see what this year brings. No hesitation.. I think I like her response..

Don't book through Princess, find a good discount cruise agent and I think (I KNOW!!!) you will save a LOT more money that way. RCI does not allow discounts by TAs, but Princess does. Do your research, get a lot of quotes from discount TAs, and you will probably end up with your dream cruise for the lesser amount that you wanted.

If you HAVE booked through Princess, do your research and find the best deal, then transfer the booking from Princess to your discount TA. They will offer you shipboard credits, free insurance, discount pricing, it all depends on the sailing.

Have fun, do your research, and enjoy your discounted pircing on Princess as opposed to RCI.

If you book Royal Caribbean, that'll be the cost, no discounts. If you book on Princess, TAs are allowed to discount prices so you're comparing apples with oranges. When comparing costs, figure out the cost per person per day before port charges and government fees. The more ports, the more port charges and fees plus some ports charge more than others. Cruise lines and TAs will provide pricing with the port charges and fees as a separate line item. As said, you can almost always book a Princess cruise at a lower rate than on the Princess website; if you can't find a lower rate, keep looking for an agency that specializes in cruises and Princess.

Sometimes, it's important to consider the itinerary because often, it's not as simple as the number of ports. I'd take a cruise with ports that I really want to go to or have major historical significance, and they are worth the additional cost. This is a personal choice but European itineraries are generally port intensive so the ports are more important than the ship you're on; you're using it just to sleep and eat for the most part.

Good luck!

Good advice about not booking direct with Princess. I'm paying less than 1/2 the rate that Princess has been listing on it's website for my BB cabin on the Ruby for my 18 night Venice to Ft Lauderdale cruise in Oct. Booked through my TA. :)

I could be wrong but seem to recall reading that when you book RCL & prices are later reduced you won't get price reductions. When PCL rates lower & you request the reduced price your cost will be reduced. Just another thing you may want to consider when making a decision...good luck. :)

OK.. LOTS of good advice. I will be checking the many online TA sites to see their prices and perks.. BUT if you book with a TA and the price goes down (which I fully expect it to) will they honor the reduced price? I was planning on booking directly with princess knowing that if the price goes down in the next 10 months I can get that price. Hopefully today is a slow day at work I got some research to do!

Personally, I like to book directly with Princess so I can have direct control over my booking. Sometime before final payment when I find a better price and/or perks from a TA I transfer my booking.

Personally, I like to book directly with Princess so I can have direct control over my booking. Sometime before final payment when I find a better price and/or perks from a TA I transfer my booking.

Exactly what I did. For our upcoming T/A in October, I saved $$$$$ when I transfered my booking.....:):):)

Bob

I could be wrong but seem to recall reading that when you book RCL & prices are later reduced you won't get price reductions. When PCL rates lower & you request the reduced price your cost will be reduced. Just another thing you may want to consider when making a decision...good luck. :)

You do get the price reduction on Royal, but only up to final payment.

Bear in mind also that some TA's have groups and while you might not get additional discounts in the fares, you could be eligible to receive bonuses like OBC's, bottles of wine, or other things. Depending on the TA of course. It's certainly worth researching with TA's and asking what kind of incentives or promotions they may be having.

BUT if you book with a TA and the price goes down (which I fully expect it to) will they honor the reduced price? I was planning on booking directly with princess knowing that if the price goes down in the next 10 months I can get that price.

TAs will honor price reductions but generally don't have the time to check as often as me. I save my booked cruises in my online Cruise Personalizer to easily check for price reductions then contact my TA. Hopefully someone who books directly with Princess will tell you whether reductions are automatically applied or if you need to contact Princess to get the reduction which is how I think it works.

You do get the price reduction on Royal, but only up to final payment.

Thanks for that info...good to know. :)

Archived