Stressing out about my ID

okay, I'll spare you the loooong story, but basically, I am a military spouse and as one, I don't have to renew my license like normal people do. There are special rules that apply to active duty & their spouses. As such, if I ever get pulled over, I present my dependent ID along with my expired license and it's no big deal. Law enforcement know about this and it's widely accepted.

Sooo, I applied for my passport, but I did it about a month too late, so I am now waiting for it to arrive (I leave for my cruise next Tuesday 5/10). I'm starting to have some anxiety about the whole thing wondering if I'm going to get all the way to Miami and they won't let me on the boat.

I have my dependent ID & expired license from my state of residency. I have a COPY of my birth certificate (original is with my passport application which I still haven't rec'd back yet). I also have 2 DoD IDs for my job. One of these should allow me to get on the boat, right? When I check in for flights I always just show my dependent ID and that has always worked.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

You can check your passport progress at travel.state.gov. They've been pretty good about getting them out in time for people's planned trips. BTW, we've all renewed our passports recently and they've all been received within 10-12 days. How long ago did you apply??

If you mean a photocopy when you say you have a "copy" of your birth certificate you definitely have a problem. A photocopy would not be valid for taking a cruise. You need an official government-issued copy that has security features such as a raised seal or is printed on specially marked security paper.

Your military dependent ID is OK as it is a government issued photo ID, But you need both the ID and the government-issued copy of the birth certificate if you don't have a passport (and I'm assuming this is a closed loop cruise, because otherwise you absolutely need the passport).

You can check your passport progress at travel.state.gov. They've been pretty good about getting them out in time for people's planned trips. BTW, we've all renewed our passports recently and they've all been received within 10-12 days. How long ago did you apply??

This clearly is a new passport application, not a renewal. The OP would not have had to submit a birth cerificate with a renewal passport application. In any event, checking the progress of the application does little good at this point since the poster is leaving for their cruise on Tuesday.

Operafan: great info! I didn't know I could do that. I just checked and it's supposed to arrive 'on or around' the day I leave, the 10th. Soooo, I called Rose Tours and asked them if I ask these questions to them or Carnival directly and they told me I could ask them. After a few clarifications, they said that even though it is a closed loop, that I really need an official 'state' copy of my birth certificate with the seal. So, I called my mother who lives in my home state of residency and she's going to get an official copy and Fed Ex it to me so I'll have it by Monday...

I was trying to avoid all that, but better safe than sorry!

Thank you all for your input, I REALLY appreciate it!! :)

More info: I called the phone number that was listed for if you have any additional questions... turns out my passport was sent via Priority Mail from 2 towns away (a city that has a passport agency) on Wednesday! So, we've decided that my mother's going to go grab a copy of my BC (just in case) and if I don't have my passport by Monday night, she's going to FedEx the passport to my hotel on Tuesday morning (I'll be checking in on Wednesday). Phew. Let's just hope it comes this weekend now! :)

With an original Birth Certificate and DoD ID, you'll be fine for a closed loop cruise as long as you don't have to fly from a foreign port due to an emergency.

You need a government issued photo ID..... Your DoD is that. You don't need a drivers license also. One or the other.

Hope it all goes smoothly and you have a great cruise.

This clearly is a new passport application, not a renewal. The OP would not have had to submit a birth cerificate with a renewal passport application. In any event, checking the progress of the application does little good at this point since the poster is leaving for their cruise on Tuesday.

My brother and sil applied for new passports and received them in the same time frame. Checking progress would tell them if they've been mailed, leaving 3 days to receive it.

More info: I called the phone number that was listed for if you have any additional questions... turns out my passport was sent via Priority Mail from 2 towns away (a city that has a passport agency) on Wednesday! So, we've decided that my mother's going to go grab a copy of my BC (just in case) and if I don't have my passport by Monday night, she's going to FedEx the passport to my hotel on Tuesday morning (I'll be checking in on Wednesday). Phew. Let's just hope it comes this weekend now! :)

Great news!! Let us know how it all works out.....

Archived