Camera Advice

trishalyn78

Are there any type of excursions that you would suggest I NOT take my very expensive camera and lenses?

When we went on a cruise to the Caribbean we did a shore excursion where I probably shouldn't have taken it. It almost drowned. It was fairly scary. (That's my "baby"). :)

Also: I own a 200 mm and a 300 mm.

I'm thinking about renting something that goes up to at least 400 or 500 mm. Is that necessary, or are the 200 and 300 sufficient?

I'm thinking about renting something that goes up to at least 400 or 500 mm. Is that necessary, or are the 200 and 300 sufficient?

I take mine about everywhere as well although I didn't take it on the white water rafting trip.

You can't have a lens that is too long in Alaska. The problem is finding something long enough that doesn't get in the way and is easy to transport. I use an 18-200mm although wish I had something longer. Doesn't work well on those far away sheep shots but does fine with most whale and landscapes shots.

Common sense is my rule of thumb

In Alaska if one is after wildlife you can't bring a lens too big. If you are willing to haul around a 400 or 500 go for it. I would say be sure you also plan your excursion accordingly.

I found a 70-200 2.8 and a TC14 was just barely enough. I'd have loved to have a 200-400. Not sure one big long tele unless you well know ahead the distance of the subjet is optimal that a beast like 400 or 500 might be too much ? Thus 200, 300, 500, and three porters :D

Are there any type of excursions that you would suggest I NOT take my very expensive camera and lenses?

When we went on a cruise to the Caribbean we did a shore excursion where I probably shouldn't have taken it. It almost drowned. It was fairly scary. (That's my "baby"). :)

I bought an inexpensive rain sleeve for my camera. I've been shooting in Oregon for years, and haven't had issues with the rain so far, so couldn't see spending a fortune on one.

That said, a primary reason we're going to Alaska is for the photogrophy, so I'm not leaving my camera behind. None of our excursions are things where it is likely to get damaged. If things get iffy, I'll put the DSLR away in the bag, & use the point n shoot.

I would also post this on the camera board to get some additional input.

Here is the link to that board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Keith

Thank you for your advice, everyone! I think I will stick to my 70-200mm and my 100-300mm

I would help to know what kind of camera you have. I use a Canon 60d and I'd take it everywhere.

5D and 5DMarkii

I have an "oops" protection plan on it, so that may help my decison!

I bought an inexpensive rain sleeve for my camera. I've been shooting in Oregon for years, and haven't had issues with the rain so far, so couldn't see spending a fortune on one.

That said, a primary reason we're going to Alaska is for the photogrophy, so I'm not leaving my camera behind. None of our excursions are things where it is likely to get damaged. If things get iffy, I'll put the DSLR away in the bag, & use the point n shoot.

Another Oregonian here, and the rain doesn't stop me either. :D My DD also loves photography, and we'll take our DSLRs on all of our excursions. I'm just careful when we're out on water or it's raining. :D

:confused:In all honesty, my 200 was too short; I did get great shots, but just not up to my expectations. I have purchased a 300 for our next trip. I have a Nikon 60D.

I found the 200 to be too short as well, and had a 300 on my last Alaska cruise. I was much happier with the results.

OP, I've always taken my DSLR on all excursions (including rafting and ATV excrusions); I'm just careful when I'm around water or sand/dirt. But, then, you have a much nicer camera than I. :D

We will not be bringing our DSLR on our whitewater rafting trip (will bring point and shoot with a waterproof case instead). However other then that we will be brining it everywhere. We went to REI and purchased a waterproof bag for excursions like kayaking etc and will just have to be careful.

We also have a 18-200mm and are renting a 100-400mm for Denali.

I bought a rain sleeve for mine before we went. It was such a PITA I took it off after only a few minutes. Don't have a better idea though..........

Denali Outdoor Center had a hired a film crew the day we were doing their Canyon Rafting tour at Denali last summer. They guy in our raft had a very expensive DSLR to film and used a garbage bag taped to his lens to protect it from the water. Not really high-tech but it seemed to do a good job for about 25 cents.

http://alaska.org/videos-photos/videopop3.jsp?Denali-Outdoor-Center-2011-wm-640FL8.flv

I agree with the white water rafting, but would also add kayaking. We leave in less than 2 weeks for Alaska, and I can't wait! It's our second trip, and honestly, it's hard to take a bad photo there, unless you don't have the lens length you want!

I suggested a rain sleeve to DH for our upcoming trip and he said why pay money when a cheap freezer bag will do the same job.

We will be taking his 5DMKII and my 40D as well as our waterproof olympus. We have decided to leave his pro 1DMKII at home (can you tell he is a professional photographer:D)

I used the cheap rainsleeves and they worked better than when I had tried to use a plastic bag at SeaWorld when we sat in the splash zone.

I chose the lens (80-300 or 18-135) and didn't switch out when we were in an iffy situation, but my D80 went on the main plane, floatplane, kayaking, eagle float trip, horseback riding, biking, out on the deck of the trains and cruiseship, and of course hiking Mendenhall, Exit Glacier, and Denali. It was drizzling most of the morning at Wonder Lake during our Blueberry Hill hike and I just left the rainsleeve on with the camera on my hiking monopod and it worked like a charm. I invested in a couple sets of inter changeable straps for my camera and binoculars that snapped on and off the straps of my backpack, or I could still use the shoulder strap configuration. I often snap my sternum strap through my camera strap to double up the protection.

Good thing I took mine kayaking as the hubby left his waterproof one in his backpack on the base boat, after 10 reminders, do you have your camera, do you have your camera?. . . ."And the reason I bought this for your birthday was???"

Archived