Screwed by HAL

I am only half kidding about the cancellation fees. HAL explains clearly that you will be charged for the shore excursion the minute it is confirmed, that online cancellations are not possible 3 days prior to departure, and that all onboard cancellations are subject to 10% to 100% cancellation fees. All I find out about cancellations by Holland America is "Shore excursions are subject to cancellations or changes." Perhaps someone else can find the language that says, "We can cancel shore excursions for any reason at any time. Tough luck, buddy."

I am glad that all worked out for the OP. I don't blame him for being vexed.

The title of the thread is not the vulgar slang some posters think it is. In this context, the word is slang for "take advantage of, cheat". http://www.thefreedictionary.com/screwed

This is not an HA issue. In fact, most of the cruise lines use the same shore-based local companies to operate the excursions. If they do not get enough folks to make an excursion profitable for the operator they will cancel. This can (and does) happen on every mass-market cruise line. It is just one of many reasons why we very seldom take any cruise line excursion...preferring to do things on our own or with a private excursion.

Hank

" That's like saying I will bring my own food for the cruise so only charge me for the cabin."

Absolutely the GREATEST Analogy!!

Joanie

No it's not!

Imagine HAL (or any other cruise line) SELL the option of paying just for the cabin. You buy it, spend a lot of money on food and AFTER THAT they say: you know what, you can do this anymore. Now you have an analogy.

This is not an HA issue. In fact, most of the cruise lines use the same shore-based local companies to operate the excursions. If they do not get enough folks to make an excursion profitable for the operator they will cancel. This can (and does) happen on every mass-market cruise line. It is just one of many reasons why we very seldom take any cruise line excursion...preferring to do things on our own or with a private excursion.

Hank

We do take ship's excursions some of the time. And some of the time we tour on our own. A big factor for us is distance from the port and whether we've been there before. If it's a new place and a long distance, we're happy to let the ship organize our day.

In my experience, when a major attraction or city is more than an hour's bus ride away, transfer-only "tours" are often listed in the brochure, but end up being cancelled.

People like the OP who want to tour a site on their own, but don't want to travel to the site completely on their own sign up for the transfer-only. Few people seem to want to go that route. (I think people who want to go to the hour-plus distant place are like us--buy the whole deal and not worry about anything other than being at the bus on time.) As a result, low numbers cause the transfer-only "tour" to be cancelled. Having seen these transfers cancelled so often is another reason we sign up for the complete tour. We don't want to discover that our "ride" to a site is unavailable.

HAL did not screw you. You booked an independent tour and when HAL cancelled the transfer due to lack of participation you thought they should bargain with you and sell you the excursion at a lesser price since you already had your tickets. That's like saying I will bring my own food for the cruise so only charge me for the cabin.

Isn't that how "easy cruise" works? (Just pay for cruise, buy food as you go on board, or I guess you could take some onboard with you)

OP purchased Alhambra tickets independently. Using those tickets or being reimbursed for them is her problem, not HAL's. When HAL canceled the transfer to Granada, OP could have then booked the shore excursion to Granada and the Alhambra. Buying entry tickets that might not be refunded is risky. Excursions can be cancelled and ports can be missed. The Prinsendam recently missed the port there.

We do take ship's excursions some of the time. And some of the time we tour on our own. A big factor for us is distance from the port and whether we've been there before. If it's a new place and a long distance, we're happy to let the ship organize our day.

In my experience, when a major attraction or city is more than an hour's bus ride away, transfer-only "tours" are often listed in the brochure, but end up being cancelled.

People like the OP who want to tour a site on their own, but don't want to travel to the site completely on their own sign up for the transfer-only. Few people seem to want to go that route. (I think people who want to go to the hour-plus distant place are like us--buy the whole deal and not worry about anything other than being at the bus on time.) As a result, low numbers cause the transfer-only "tour" to be cancelled. Having seen these transfers cancelled so often is another reason we sign up for the complete tour. We don't want to discover that our "ride" to a site is unavailable.

Kathy,

you make a good point - we either are prepared to DIY, arrange a private tour or do HAL's. We never try to combine the two. If you want to do site on your own, then it's best to arrange the transportation there in the same way. :)

I agree with Hank. I believe the way the contracts work with the tour companies is that HAL (or any cruise line) guarantees a certain number of seats in order to run the transfer/tour. If that guarantee isn't met, the transfer/tour is canceled. It costs the tour company money for the bus, driver, gas, etc. so it's not worth their while unless they break even or come close to it. Hence, the minimum guaranteed number of passengers. If you wanted to be on the bus that went to where you were going, you should have booked the excursion.

I don't know who screwed whom but it wasn't HAL. Blame your fellow passengers, I guess. You chose to book an independent tour and took a gamble on the transfer, even though HAL offered it. I bet if you read the contract, there'll be fine print that it's subject to cancelation. Making the wrong choice or a gamble that doesn't work in your favor doesn't mean you've been screwed.

Isn't that how "easy cruise" works? (Just pay for cruise, buy food as you go on board, or I guess you could take some onboard with you)

That is exactly how they worked - even down to the number of times Housekeeping serviced your cabin (I believe every day service cost extra!)

I am not sure if they are still in business - I saw the easyCruise Life last year in Piraeus and it appeared to be out of service.

1) The excursion was also subject to cancellation

2) Even if HAL had to pay some extra bucks to the local operator to please a passenger stuck with a ticket BECAUSE an act (a legal one, I admit) of them, will it had been so harmful for their finances?

I'm amazed by how fervidly some people here are defending HAL.

I've been in other lines forums and on every one of them people tend to stand for their line of choice, but not so strongly as here:eek:

1) The excursion was also subject to cancellation

2) Even if HAL had to pay some extra bucks to the local operator to please a passenger stuck with a ticket BECAUSE an act (a legal one, I admit) of them, will it had been so harmful for their finances?

I'm amazed by how fervidly some people here are defending HAL.

I've been in other lines forums and on every one of them people tend to stand for their line of choice, but not so strongly as here:eek:

It's not a matter of fervently defending HAL. It's a matter of planning your excursions. If I am going to do one part of something on my own, then I will do the rest on my own.

If I feel I need the safety of HAL's transfer then I would do their full tour.

Excursions are subject to cancellation - it's a fact of life.

We do a lot of private or diy excursions, however, if I feel I need HAL (and there are times I do), then I book the full meal deal. No inbetween.

JMO though :)

"If I feel I need the safety of HAL's transfer then I would do their full tour."

Excursions are subject to cancellation - it's a fact of life even full tours!

The OP opted for the transfer which, as you stated, was subject to cancellation. Had he opted for the tour, the sama could had happened

But the most important here, IMO, is that HAL could have handled the situation much better

"If I feel I need the safety of HAL's transfer then I would do their full tour."

Excursions are subject to cancellation - it's a fact of life even full tours!

The OP opted for the transfer which, as you stated, was subject to cancellation. Had he opted for the tour, the sama could had happened

But the most important here, IMO, is that HAL could have handled the situation much better

ok - we can agree to disagree - I don't know what HAL could have done as these do go to tour operators and they have their own rules and regs, especially in Europe. case in point - two years ago, the tour operator left two HAlL cruisers after waiting 10 minutes and picked up one that had been left by another tour bus. Seriously. HAL has no control over the tours. They are contracted out.

My experience only - full tours of the nature that the op tried to get on are very rarely cancelled - often sold out. The transfers are more subject to cancellation especially in this internet age where people are using how to DIY or do private transfers.

Yes, any tour can be cancelled on the ship, private tours may not show up, trains may go on strike - all kinds of things can happen.

I just don't see HAL's liability in this case or the need for the title on the thread. sorry, I'm not a HAL cheerleader. I like a lot of things about the line but I have also been known to complain. this is not something i would have complained about. I would have researched and found a way to get there if I really wanted to travel all this way ;)

Four of us had a 2 hour excursion , by boat, scheduled recently

Was to return at 7:30 PM just in time for our seating in the MDR

After waiting till 6PM and the boat had not arrived , we returned to the shore exiursion desk and advised that we would like to cancel

No questions asked cost of tour credited to our account in full

"ok - we can agree to disagree":)

And you are right: full tours of the nature that the op tried to get on are very rarely cancelled - often sold out.

thanks. and by the way, if I may say so, we loved South America and your particular area. Hope to get back sometime soon. It's been nearly 4 years:eek:

Smooth seas:)

Archived