Veendam NYC - Caution

HamOp

Looking at Veendam from NYC, I notice a sailing on Sept. 11. That's the day the President is scheduled to be at "ground zero" not far from the NYC pier. That should be a mess as far as traffic goes.

Looking at Veendam from NYC, I notice a sailing on Sept. 11. That's the day the President is scheduled to be at "ground zero" not far from the NYC pier. That should be a mess as far as traffic goes.

Ground Zero is not near the Manhattan piers, its about 5 miles away.

There may be some traffic disruptions with any presidential visit but it would not bring the city to a standstill. The president was at Ground Zero this week and I work a few blocks from there and next to the Downtown heliport (that is often used for such visits) and there wasn't much disruption there at all.

Ground Zero is not near the Manhattan piers, its about 5 miles away.

There may be some traffic disruptions with any presidential visit but it would not bring the city to a standstill. The president was at Ground Zero this week and I work a few blocks from there and next to the Downtown heliport (that is often used for such visits) and there wasn't much disruption there at all.

This weeks visit was not be the same as the anniversary of 9/11. The extra security for that day may well bring lower Manhattan to a crawl.

In any event, I just wanted to suggest mucho extra time to get to the ship on that day.

The pier is not close to Ground Zero. Also the traffic routes to the dock from out of Manhatten are not near Ground Zero either.

This weeks visit was not be the same as the anniversary of 9/11. The extra security for that day may well bring lower Manhattan to a crawl.

In any event, I just wanted to suggest mucho extra time to get to the ship on that day.

Again, the dock is not in lower Manhatten. There is no reason to go thru lower Manhatten if you are from out of town.

Once again... the Manhattan piers are Midtown and Ground Zero is Downtown. Passengers arriving via train, plane or automobile will not have to go anywhere near Downtown. And as Ruth said it is a Sunday, so traffic will be much less of an issue.

Once again... the Manhattan piers are Midtown and Ground Zero is Downtown. Passengers arriving via train, plane or automobile will not have to go anywhere near Downtown. And as Ruth said it is a Sunday, so traffic will be much less of an issue.

Some limo drivers from New Jersey prefer to use the Holland tunnel, rather than the Lincoln. But I'm sure any experienced driver will know better to do that on Sept 11.

Peter, while I'm flattered to be called Ruth, I'm just plain Mamaofami, or Carol.

we have sailed out of NY a couple of times -- other cruise lines -- on sundays -- and there was very little traffic -- either going from the airport to the pier or vice versa

On Sunday May 2 2010 off Veendam in cab to La Guardia we got caught in bicycle marathon with many streets closed etc . Cabbie knew little about back roads in Queens and we knew less . The NYC AAA map I carried saved the day !!! Short of it : we made the flight only because we "pad " our schedule with lots of "just in case " extra time .

Some limo drivers from New Jersey prefer to use the Holland tunnel, rather than the Lincoln. But I'm sure any experienced driver will know better to do that on Sept 11.

Oh I am sure they will avoid it and take the Lincoln Tunnel instead. Luckily there ar ealternatives, and even the George Washington Bridge can be used in a pinch - long way around perhaps but still an option.

On Sunday May 2 2010 off Veendam in cab to La Guardia we got caught in bicycle marathon with many streets closed etc . Cabbie knew little about back roads in Queens and we knew less . The NYC AAA map I carried saved the day !!! Short of it : we made the flight only because we "pad " our schedule with lots of "just in case " extra time .

Ah, the good old Five Boro Bike Tour that takes place every first Sunday in May. That one causes a lot more traffic issues than any presidential visit would since it travels through all five boroughs of New York and over some major roads and bridges. For the president they prefer to take short, direct routes and not something that meanders for 42 miles through the city over many, many hours.

there might be an impact to air traffic. i don't know if he'll come up on marine one or air force one. when either of those are landing, the airport is effectively closed to all other traffic until the plane has landed or taken off.

our previous cruises were years ago when we had direct flights early in the day to get to NY

now -- if we were to consider another cruise out of NY we would have to fly in a day early and stay over at the end of the cruise

there might be an impact to air traffic. i don't know if he'll come up on marine one or air force one. when either of those are landing, the airport is effectively closed to all other traffic until the plane has landed or taken off.

The president usually flies to JFK on Air Force one and then goes by helicopter to Manhattan. I don't recall hearing anything about air traffic delays.

The president usually flies to JFK on Air Force one and then goes by helicopter to Manhattan. I don't recall hearing anything about air traffic delays.

you won't hear about them in advance. they aren't going to publish precisely what time he'll be flying in for security reasons.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I truly believe in flying in the day before no matter what port you sail from. Could be the President, could be rain, could be something else that would delay you. Can't take any chances.

The president usually flies into Newark or McGuire AFB. The trip the other day he landed at JFK. Whereever he lands, air traffic all the way up to Boston and Washington is frozen around NY center.

The former WTC site is not near the pier.

I expect security will be tighter than ever. But traffic will move along. NY is used to this. Just allow some extra time.

Archived