Docking in St Petersberg

GeorgesGal

Looking at Nautica's June 19, 2012 Baltic cruise and wondering: Does anyone know how far from St Petersberg the ship docks? Have heard horror stories from other travellers to this port. Please, say it isn't so...

Yes, but if you dock at the industrial port you will spend an extra 90 minutes each time just getting back and forth from the center of town, whereas if you dock at the English Embankment you are blocks from the Hermitage.

Yes, but if you dock at the industrial port you will spend an extra 90 minutes each time just getting back and forth from the center of town, whereas if you dock at the English Embankment you are blocks from the Hermitage.

This is what I had heard - 90 min each way, which is truly a pain! Hopefully we will be one of the chosen few who will dock in town. I had been told that Azamara does, and was hoping that since Nautica is the same size, we would also.

Perhaps someone on another Oceania will read this and post for us.

Thank you both for your responses.

Don't count on good news if you find out NOW that it's docking where you hope. When we were there on Renaissance, there was a very last minute change. Actually, that was good for us because we ended up close to the Hermitage. I have no idea where we were originally supposed to dock.

But our guide didn't get the information in time ...

On our cruise on Regatta we docked at the English Dock near the Hermitage.

However I think it is the luck of the draw!

The specific docking location is indeed luck of the draw, but I've only ever heard of ships the size of the R ships docking at the English embankment or just across the River from there.

Unless something has changed recently, I believe that it is the larger ships which use the Industrial Port.

Yes, but if you dock at the industrial port you will spend an extra 90 minutes each time just getting back and forth from the center of town,

We docked at the industrial port a few years ago with another line

It was about 90 min to Catherine's Palace & no where near that into town

As Mura said you never know where you will dock even if they tell you what Quay they can change

Just enjoy the trip ;)

Lyn

P.S. just checked on TA the industrial port is 12 miles from city centre according to the locals

I had heard that the R ships were small enough to go to the embankment across from the Hermitage. There were four ships that far up the river, and all were the size of the R ships or smaller. I don't believe that the large cruise ships can get up there. Again, am simply going on hearsay.

Looking at Nautica's June 19, 2012 Baltic cruise and wondering: Does anyone know how far from St Petersberg the ship docks? Have heard horror stories from other travellers to this port. Please, say it isn't so...

We were aboard the Insignia a few years ago and docked in the Industrial area. However, unless there is more than one industrial dock area, it was not more than a mile from the Hermitage. One of the passengers with a visa hopped off and walked there.

Not having visas, it took our tour bus less than 10 minutes to reach Hermitage area. It takes longer to get to Catherine's Palace, which is a bit distant from Hermitage.

Thank you, all of you. I got the information about the 90 min. ride from my cousin who cruised there on a Seabourne; that is how long it took them to get to the sites.

Hmmmm...... perhaps she was talking about some of the more distant sites as Kane suggests. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thank you, all of you. I got the information about the 90 min. ride from my cousin who cruised there on a Seabourne; that is how long it took them to get to the sites.

Hmmmm...... perhaps she was talking about some of the more distant sites as Kane suggests. Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote right from cruisecritic website:

"Things are looking pretty good for cruise ships these days in St. Petersburg. The main cruise ship dock, which used to be located at a huge commercial port about 25 minutes outside of the city center, has been relocated. The new Sea Facade terminals, which are more conveniently situated, are very user friendly -- the two terminals (there's a third one being built) have a taxi stand with set prices (600 rubels one-way to the Hermitage), a tourist info booth, four ATM's, and 28 and 36 passport booths, respectively. With all those passport booths, debarkation is much less of a hassle than in used to be. By 2011, the port will be able to handle seven mega-liners (up to Solstice-class size) simultaneously."

I still hope small ships will be able to dock at the English Embankment. I don't care how conveniently located the new cruise terminal will be if there are seven mega ships in port it will be like Ft. Lauderdale with a russian accent.

• 3 weeks later...
We are leaving next week for a Viking River cruise to St. Pete. The itinerary states that the ship docks at Salt Pier, Oktiabrskaya Nab 19. does anyone know where that is?

The Salt Pier is on the Neva River. south of the Volodarsky Bridge, but on the north side of the River:

volodarsky-bridge.jpgThe street address is:

Salt Pier

Oktiabrskaya Nab. 29 (this is the street name and #)

193079 St. Petersburg

I did the Baltic cruise on Oceania in 2007, and the ship docked at a berth pretty close to town - we walked in several times (we had visas.) I think Seabourn gets the very closest spot, but the one Oceania had was still very good - it's not super far away requiring a half hour bus ride just to get out of the port.

I think that's because it's a smaller ship - the very big cruise ships can't berth at the closer-in spots.

I can't recall the name of the berth - the Leutenant or Lawrence something or other.

Have a good time.

Judy

I did the Baltic cruise on Oceania in 2007, and the ship docked at a berth pretty close to town - we walked in several times (we had visas.) I think Seabourn gets the very closest spot, but the one Oceania had was still very good - it's not super far away requiring a half hour bus ride just to get out of the port.

I think that's because it's a smaller ship - the very big cruise ships can't berth at the closer-in spots.

I can't recall the name of the berth - the Leutenant or Lawrence something or other.

Have a good time.

Judy

Lieutenant Schmidt Embankment: http://www.inflotww.net/lse.htm

• 1 month later...

Archived