Glacier Trek in Juneau ???'s

yayvacation!

DH and I are relatively fit and would like to do a helicopter and glacier tour in Juneau. I have already contacted North Star Trekking, but they only offer their tour through the cruise ship as a group excursion and we really want to stay away from glacier trekking with 100+ other cruise passengers!

Any private tour operator recommendations are welcome!!! Thanks!

There aren't any "100" people treks. These are always in smaller groups.

It likely is a new contract with the cruiselines, that has Northstar, claiming to book through the cruiseline. They are the only company.

An alternative would be the hike into Mendenhall on an extended hike.

Otherwise are you going interior Alaska? A bargain and easy access guided trek available of Matanuska Glacier.

There aren't any "100" people treks. These are always in smaller groups.

It likely is a new contract with the cruiselines, that has Northstar, claiming to book through the cruiseline. They are the only company.

An alternative would be the hike into Mendenhall on an extended hike.

Otherwise are you going interior Alaska? A bargain and easy access guided trek available of Matanuska Glacier.

So North Star is it? That's sad! North Star wrote me back and let me know that they are taking groups of 12 passengers at a time, but they are taking multiple groups. So I really want to stay away from them - I hate cruise ship tours!

The port stops are Skagway, Juneau, Ketchican, and Victoria.

We try to stay away from the ship’s tours as well but when it’s the only opportunity to do something that we really want to do, we concede and go with the rest of the cattle. Glacier trekking is a pretty special experience. We do it every year and still don’t get enough. With glaciers receding at the rate they are it won’t be too long before glacier trekking becomes a very difficult and expensive option.

We are booked with Northstar in June but we booked directly with them last fall. My understanding is there are 2 guides per 6 people and up to 2 guides (i.e. 12 people) in a group. They did offer a few times during the day so my guess is they stagger the groups.

We try to stay away from the ship’s tours as well but when it’s the only opportunity to do something that we really want to do, we concede and go with the rest of the cattle. Glacier trekking is a pretty special experience. We do it every year and still don’t get enough. With glaciers receding at the rate they are it won’t be too long before glacier trekking becomes a very difficult and expensive option.

I would tend to agree with you, but since the tour will cost me $1100 through the ship I will not be herded like cattle!! lol. Now I just need another plan!

Ok just got off the phone with North Star I officially will not be booking with them :(

Now I need something else to book so what is good and worthwhile for sightseeing in Juneau!! Thanks!

Can you elaborate on this? Did Northstar give you the impression you would be more more then 12 people? Their website still says tours are conducted in small groups....???

I would tend to agree with you, but since the tour will cost me $1100 through the ship I will not be herded like cattle!! lol. Now I just need another plan!

Wow! Moo.

How about glacier hiking with Above and Beyond in Juneau? Much less expensive since no helicopter is involved.

Much better option.

How about glacier hiking with Above and Beyond in Juneau? Much less expensive since no helicopter is involved.

Thanks for the suggestion I will check this out!!

Can you elaborate on this? Did Northstar give you the impression you would be more more then 12 people? Their website still says tours are conducted in small groups....???

They said Monday's (our day in port of course) are really busy. They already have a few tours full in groups of 12 and our ship already has 3 "groups" booked as well. At the very least our ship "group" would be together so at a bare minimum 36 people and our ship isn't even full yet so I would anticipate more bookings to come. Buses are involved and I just really feel that for $1100 if I'm not in a group of less than 50 I'm not a happy customer!

So North Star is it? That's sad! North Star wrote me back and let me know that they are taking groups of 12 passengers at a time, but they are taking multiple groups. So I really want to stay away from them - I hate cruise ship tours!

The port stops are Skagway, Juneau, Ketchican, and Victoria.

This is surprising, I booked w/ Northstar trekking and going next Friday and they said nothing about booking w/ cruiseship or anything like that, that's puzzling (sp?)

This is surprising, I booked w/ Northstar trekking and going next Friday and they said nothing about booking w/ cruiseship or anything like that, that's puzzling (sp?)

We booked directly with North Star last December for our cruise in August. It appears that they have signed some exclusivity contracts with the various cruise lines. Please post a review of your excursion when you return. We booked the one hour glacier trek, and we better not be herded with a cruise line group into a shortened excursion.

We booked directly with North Star last December for our cruise in August. It appears that they have signed some exclusivity contracts with the various cruise lines. Please post a review of your excursion when you return. We booked the one hour glacier trek, and we better not be herded with a cruise line group into a shortened excursion.

I will let yall know! I believe I booked for a trek 2 or 3, because I was afraid I'd miss this ship for longer tour, plus, made too many excursion to remember. I will let you know - I may even email them and ask them how many in group. I booked last summer as well.

Thanks for the suggestion I will check this out!!

They said Monday's (our day in port of course) are really busy. They already have a few tours full in groups of 12 and our ship already has 3 "groups" booked as well. At the very least our ship "group" would be together so at a bare minimum 36 people and our ship isn't even full yet so I would anticipate more bookings to come. Buses are involved and I just really feel that for $1100 if I'm not in a group of less than 50 I'm not a happy customer!

I have done glacier trekking. First factor, I NEVER ever would consider the "basic" 1 hour trek. That "tour" is going to have the largest number of people, and go only as fast as the slowest person. Too wide of a range of "abilities" and 1 hour is NOT in any form worth the high cost of this tour, since you barely get out on the ice, by time everyone is moving along. Even level two, would never be a consideration for me. I only recommend the level 3. With it being so costly, it is likely small numbers of people, and a "serious" group that is more similar in abilities and more "productive" in moving along. This is MY opinion only, so flame away.

The alternative of ground access of Mendenhall, has gotten consistant rave reviews- I can not recall even one so so report. This also has been operating for a few years.

I have done glacier trekking. First factor, I NEVER ever would consider the "basic" 1 hour trek. That "tour" is going to have the largest number of people, and go only as fast as the slowest person. Too wide of a range of "abilities" and 1 hour is NOT in any form worth the high cost of this tour, since you barely get out on the ice, by time everyone is moving along. Even level two, would never be a consideration for me. I only recommend the level 3. With it being so costly, it is likely small numbers of people, and a "serious" group that is more similar in abilities and more "productive" in moving along. This is MY opinion only, so flame away.

The alternative of ground access of Mendenhall, has gotten consistant rave reviews- I can not recall even one so so report. This also has been operating for a few years.

No flaming from me I feel the same way - we get into a group with 1 or 2 people who don't move quickly and our whole experience is downgraded. I want to enjoy our time and "get what we pay for" so to speak. :D

Logistically how would they even get 30+ people out there are the same time unless they have A LOT of helicopters?!:confused: I believe I read that each helicopter carries only 6 people. Are you sure the "groups" they mentioned aren't somehow staggered and there may be many people out on the ice in various stages but not all together?

Logistically how would they even get 30+ people out there are the same time unless they have A LOT of helicopters?!:confused: I believe I read that each helicopter carries only 6 people. Are you sure the "groups" they mentioned aren't somehow staggered and there may be many people out on the ice in various stages but not all together?

In the past they did drop offs, and don't stay on the glacier. In those cases, they can turn over new groups every half hour. And if on the 1 hour tour- you don't get far, so you would see other groups.

I am sure if you inquire, you can find out the number of their fleet.

As people self select (or self elect) themselves for the tours, even level 2 can be a drag. If a person is obviously unfit the tour operator has the right not to even put them on the helicopter but some folks seem to slip through the cracks and end up out on the glacier. In other words, they appear to be fit enough but have bad knees or some such that means can can't keep up and the whole pack of 6 has to go at the same (slow) speed.

BudgetQueen is absolutely accurate on this.

I am away from my home computer so cannot look up a lot of information I have filed, but I will say that if you are fit and a good hiker you need to keep looking for a tour. At the very least look at the travel info WEB sites for Juneau and see what else is offered. Don't be afraid to make telephone calls and use the word PRIVATE tour.

Juneau is really a poor option for anyone wanting to do a glacier trek. You either have to fork over a ton of cash for the helicopter portion of the trip just to get on the glacier or hike for 2 hours just to get to the glacier itself to begin trekking. As BQ mentioned, for anyone who will have some time in Anchorage, Matanuska Glacier can be accessed in about 15 minutes from the parking lot and a guided trek can be had for $40. It’s a 2 hour drive from Anchorage. I know that many won’t have the time needed but for me I can’t imagine spending hundreds to do a glacier trek. Even the 7 hour hike/trek by Above and Beyond in Juneau only gives you 1 hour of trekking. The rest is getting to and from the glacier. 3 hours is a minimum I would want on the glacier for trekking.

Juneau is really a poor option for anyone wanting to do a glacier trek. You either have to fork over a ton of cash for the helicopter portion of the trip just to get on the glacier or hike for 2 hours just to get to the glacier itself to begin trekking. As BQ mentioned, for anyone who will have some time in Anchorage, Matanuska Glacier can be accessed in about 15 minutes from the parking lot and a guided trek can be had for $40. It’s a 2 hour drive from Anchorage. I know that many won’t have the time needed but for me I can’t imagine spending hundreds to do a glacier trek. Even the 7 hour hike/trek by Above and Beyond in Juneau only gives you 1 hour of trekking. The rest is getting to and from the glacier. 3 hours is a minimum I would want on the glacier for trekking.

For people who don't have time in Anchorage and still want a glacier trek Northstar is the best bet, right? I've already accepted the price but just want to make sure I can get some kind of glacier trek in! :o

For people who don't have time in Anchorage and still want a glacier trek Northstar is the best bet, right? I've already accepted the price but just want to make sure I can get some kind of glacier trek in! :o

Money aside, yes I think Northstar would be best. Your tour will give you two hours on the glacier plus a very nice scenic flight. The worse part of it will be having to leave after just two hours. I could spend all day on a glacier. It’s one of my favorite things to do in the summer but only get to do it once or twice a year, but I do it every year. :)

For serious glacier trekking, frankly, no. This is at best, a short, "follow the leader" on a short walk. Chikoot and I are coming from difference experinces. When I go out, I go with a private guide and have never been out less than 4 hours, with two trips that were 5 hours. All my trekks have been at Matanuska, with another trip there in a few weeks.

TIME is important with glacier trekking, and weeding out anyone who is not at your level of activity. There is NOTHING worse than being held up, in my opinion, or limited. Especially on a costly tour. :)

Archived