Glacier Trek in Juneau ???'s

yayvacation!

As BQ mentioned, for anyone who will have some time in Anchorage, Matanuska Glacier can be accessed in about 15 minutes from the parking lot and a guided trek can be had for $40..

I think most tours are more than this amount?? I go private, which is worth it to me, and it has run $80-100. Plus I tip well. :) Then I am out at least 4 hours.

TIME is important with glacier trekking, and weeding out anyone who is not at your level of activity. There is NOTHING worse than being held up, in my opinion, or limited. Especially on a costly tour. :)

I absolutely agree! I really wanted to do the 3 hour Trek but Northstar didn't offer it at a time that would fit my port time. :( I'm hoping we will have a good time regardless, just taking in the scenery and getting at least 2 hours of glacier time in. When/IF we go back to Alaska we will have a better prospective and can work Anchorage in.

Money aside, yes I think Northstar would be best. Your tour will give you two hours on the glacier plus a very nice scenic flight. The worse part of it will be having to leave after just two hours. I could spend all day on a glacier. It’s one of my favorite things to do in the summer but only get to do it once or twice a year, but I do it every year. :)

I really appreciate your opinion! Sometimes it seems you are only told about the BEST options and made to feel like everything else is crap... :rolleyes:

I really appreciate your opinion! Sometimes it seems you are only told about the BEST options and made to feel like everything else is crap... :rolleyes:

I agree, I think we've talked months back and I'm doing the trek 2 and our port times will cut us short on getting back to the ship. I'm just going to appreciate the time spent and at least we are getting to go. But, I too feel like if it's not perfect by other peoples ideas than it's not going to be good. With that said, everyone has their opinions, it just makes us feel bad. But I know we all will have a wonderful time, no matter what :)

I agree, I think we've talked months back and I'm doing the trek 2 and our port times will cut us short on getting back to the ship. I'm just going to appreciate the time spent and at least we are getting to go. But, I too feel like if it's not perfect by other peoples ideas than it's not going to be good. With that said, everyone has their opinions, it just makes us feel bad. But I know we all will have a wonderful time, no matter what :)

We did talk a few months back and I saw your other post and really hope you can still go!

I think most tours are more than this amount?? I go private, which is worth it to me, and it has run $80-100. Plus I tip well. :) Then I am out at least 4 hours.

Mica has their basic 3 hour but it's actually $45 now. Of course there's the park fee that runs about $20, and the tip.

Go with North Star! Each group is separate and believe me there is plenty of space on the glacier. It was actually cool to see how tiny the other group was by the time we got there--it made a great photo for persepctive--big glacier, tiny group of hikers in red jackets. This was my favourite excursion last year and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Minimum 2 hour hike, 3 if you can afford it. It was the BEST!

Archived