A few questions about HAL and Noordam (mostly)

karlth

Before splurging on a family cruise I'd like to ask a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with. I've so far only cruised with mostly NCL so HAL will probably be a different experience.

In what condition is the Noordam ship. It was built several years ago so does anyone know if it is beginning to show its age in a bad way, for example carpeting, hallways, etc?

Is there a kids pool onboard?

Is there a library and a cinema?

How are well behaved kids treated onboard? Are they glared off the ship or accepted?

Are there any other free dining options apart from the main dining room?

That's all for now, thanks. :)

Before splurging on a family cruise I'd like to ask a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with. I've so far only cruised with mostly NCL so HAL will probably be a different experience.

In what condition is the Noordam ship. It was built several years ago so does anyone know if it is beginning to show its age in a bad way, for example carpeting, hallways, etc?

Is there a kids pool onboard? children and adults use the Lido pool -- the aft pool is adults only

Is there a library and a cinema? there is an Explorations Cafe on the Promenade deck which has a very large library as well as the internet area

How are well behaved kids treated onboard? Are they glared off the ship or accepted?

Are there any other free dining options apart from the main dining room? there is the lido buffet -- terrace grill -- and room service -- for dinner there is also the Canaletto for dinner which is free -- italian food -- same menu each night

hope this helps a little

I too cruise mostly cruise with NCL but I'll be trying HAL next week and I will come back to HAL board to give my impressions, including difference with NCL (I'll be on the Maasdam though).

Is there a kids pool onboard?

Is there a library and a cinema?

I cruised on the Noordam a couple of years ago. At the time, I thought it was in excellent condition (and compared favourably to the Diamond Princess, which when we took it was less than 2 years old and already showing wear).

Library: yes. Cinema: if I recall, movies were shown in the show lounge.

There were quite a few well-behaved children on board (early January), and seemed to be treated fine. Indeed, one of my most vivid memories was watching one of the lido waiters spend at least 15 minutes making napkin animals for a delighted 2-year old little girl.

For dinner, it's either the dining room, the Lido buffet or room service from the dining room menu (during restaurant hours). We partook of all (as well as the for-pay Pinacle Grill), and enjoyed all options thoroughly.

HAL did it SO right with Noordam. They may have made mistakes on the first (Zuiderdam), second and third in the series of sisters but each got better and better as they were built and Noordam is the gem.

She is truly beautiful and when we sailed her in mid March, we found her in excellent condition with an outstanding crew and loved our time aboard, once again.

Noordam has THE best Explorations Cafe (with Library and computers) in the Fleet. It was so well designed from the start in the boat yard at consturction, they (thankfully) have not messed with her.

She is decorated so beautifully, has a wonderful Pinnacle, great aft pool, and is 'ship shape'. I can't rave about her enough.

Captain Scott and his crew are tremendous.

Book it; I doubt you'll be sorry. :)

We have sailed on the Noordam and it is a great ship.

It's not a new ship, but she is elegant and beautiful.

Most of your questions were answered but as to the children - they will have a blast - why do I say this? - my sister just got back off HAl (their first) with her two children and they were very happy.

People welcome well behaved children, believe me. You just have to avoid the fuss that could be made :D

Great spot for them if they want in the kids' spot and if they prefer to mingle with you - they will be welcomed by many fellow cruisers.

Well behaved children are always admired and fussed over :D:D

I've heard raves about Club HAL, which is the children's center. The children love the activities and crew that work there. It is such a rare time we've had any issues regarding children on a HAL ship. Once in a while there are bratty parents that have raised a bratty kid but that is their problem and not mine. We love to see happy kids and young families enjoying their vacation together.

I especially love seeing generations cruising together and it's fabulous to see great grammy, gramps, mom and dad and the young kids all dressed and enjoying a lovely formal dinner in the dining room. I so love that.

Captain Scott and his crew are tremendous.

Book it; I doubt you'll be sorry. :)

Or, Captain Matebor. The two captains, Peter Scott and Johannes (Hans) Matebor alternate on 3-month cycles. I have sailed with both and would happily do so again. And the crew is the best, no matter which of the two is in command; they take their lead from those two superlative captains.

I agree with everything Sail7Seas wrote, about the crew and the ship itself. Noordam is HAL done right, and is our favorite.

Dave

Sailed on Noordam last November and loved the Ship! Most friendly crew at Sea too! They say it and they live up to it. Great service!

Have sailed on 8 or nine lines so far.

Was our first HAL and booked another while on Board. Have only done one NCL, not for us as we are not that crazy about Freestyle dining and it is the only option with them.

Enjoy!

[quote=karlth;29070022]Before splurging on a family cruise I'd like to ask a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with. I've so far only cruised with mostly NCL so HAL will probably be a different experience.

In what condition is the Noordam ship. It was built several years ago so does anyone know if it is beginning to show its age in a bad way, for example carpeting, hallways, etc? No, you will be pleased with how HAL keeps their ships.

Is there a kids pool onboard? Center pool is for adults and kids. There are other amusements around the area.

Club HAL is not near the pool. It is where the kids hang out. We have wandered in there looking for an elevator, and it looked like they were having fun.

Is there a library and a cinema? Beautiful Library, with plenty of privacy. That is where the explorations cafe is, so you can get a book, a latte, and stow yourself away in a butter soft leather chair if you'd like. The Cinema is a shared area, and it is nice. HAL also has Ship Flix, which is like netflix. We've used that a couple of times.

How are well behaved kids treated onboard? Are they glared off the ship or accepted? Just like a supermarket or restuarant...Depends on your kids. Good kids are doted on, told how good they're being, how cute they are. If your child is completely out of control, you'll get the stink eye, A not so young boy crawled up my sisters skirt for a peek on a Carnival Cruise. She will never go again.

The only one that wasn't mentioned below is that one night they hav e a BBQ buffet at the pool. The band plays, it's fun and casual.

I hope you have fun- they have good itineraries!

Hi- We were on the Noordam last month. The cruise was wonderful- the ship beautiful. I wrote a review which is in the Review section here.

Captain Scott and Staff are some of the best we have experienced. The cruising past the Pitons in St. Lucia and past Mt. Pelee in Martinique were real treats.

The interior of the ship is a work of art with lots of art! Same with the Westerdam.

At the top of these boards is a sticky with pictures of all the cabins. That site also has interior pictures of HAL's fleet for each ship. Click on Noordam. As you can see, HAL takes good care of their ships. We've never been disappointed with the condition of a ship, and we currently have three cruises booked with HAL.

If the ships or crew were substandard, we wouldn't be willing to repeat the experience. I think you'll truly enjoy the HAL experience. If you go, please return to these boards and tell us what you think. Have a wonderful cruise, regardless of which line you eventually choose.

Thanks everyone.

Took the plunge and ordered the july 20th cruise.

Good for you - have a wonderful cruise :) and do come back and let us know your experiences and what you thought:D

Archived