dining options

ukinusa

We are taking the Holland America Oosterdam to Alaska. We are still trying to figure out whether or not to go for the formal nights. What are our options if we do not go? Where can we eat and is the food going to be different? If so, how different? Thanks for the suggestions.

You can order room service from the main dining room menu. There is a limited buffet, but the food is nothing like in the MDR. But know that HAL may not allow you into certain places on formal night unless you conform to the formal dress code.

Why wouldn't you go? Putting on a evening dress or a suit jacket doesn't take that much effort! You don't have to have an "updo" or mani/pedi...and while there is the additional work of tying a tie (for a man), it's really not that big of a deal. Slipping on a dress is easier than pants and top!

The food in the MDR is nice, especially on the formal nights. Give it a try.

Im not a dress up guy but on formal nights I put on a sports jacket and tie. It doesent take much time and my wife likes it. Many people dress as if its a kings ball. If you do not want to dress up them you can go to dinner just as if it were a regular dinner night, nobody will say a thing about it.

But know that HAL may not allow you into certain places on formal night unless you conform to the formal dress code.

Having done more than 20 HAL cruises, the only place I have seen only one place where you might not be able to access on formal nights if you are not dressed in accordance with the suggested/requested dress code is the main dining room.

Outside the dining room on formal nights, I have seen people in other public venues wearing sweat suits, shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops, jeans, and other casual clothing. On the other hand, I have seen men denied access to the MDR on formal nights who did not have on at least a sport coat. I have never seen HAL enforce the dress code beyond the MDR.

If you do not want to dress for formal nights, you can dine in your cabin or up in the Lido, and if you want to go to the show or otherwise be out and about the ship in casual clothing, have at it and enjoy yourselves.

Thanks for the suggestions! I thought a suit was mandatory. If I can get in with a sports coat and a tie, I can do that.

I understand even on non-formal nights, jeans are not allowed.

When are you going? We are on the June 12th sailing.

"Formal" nights are not all tuxes and ball gowns. My husband either brings a suit or a sports coat and tie. He is among the majority. Women can wear dresses or nice pants and dressy tops. Think of attending a wedding, and you will be fine. I know dressing up isn't everyone's idea of fun on a vacation, but it does make it a little more special when we do dress up. We usually change right after dinner into something more suited to strolling the decks. Even our kids don't mind putting on a tie and nice shirt for dinner.

FYI, even though there are two formal nights I bring only one dressy outfit. No one cares if you wear the same thing twice and it saves room packing!

We usually make formal nights our buffet nights. We have nothing against people who dress up, it's just too much effort for us to pack/change with three boys.

The buffet is perfectly good and it's nice to have a very casual evening once in a while while onboard.

We've been on two HAL cruises so far and we will go again!

On the formal nights, as several have pointed out, a jacket and tie suffice nicely for men and I have never seen anyone turned away.

As far as the other nights, I would refrain from showing up in cut-off jeans and flip flops. Business casual is the order of the day. A nice shirt with a collar and slacks work just fine!

• 2 weeks later...

Ukinusa, I would have to agree that while on vacation it is so nice to have someone wait on me! I don't mind the buffett for breakfast or lunch but it is nice to have someone take care of me at dinner! I am happy to dress up a little for that treat of not serving everyone else. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Archived