Best dining time for a 12 and 14 year old that participate in programs?

cotomom

Looking at going on Sapphire Princess this Christmas for their 12/17 sailing. Which dining time would be most advantageous to allow the kids to eat with us but not miss activities in their respective age groups?

Thank you!

We opt for anytime since we can tailor our dining time to the evening activities for DS and adults as well as port activities. We pretty much insist on dining as a family but make exceptions for some of the special events/dining for the youth activities.

Thank you all. I was given 3 different time slots, 5:30, 6:00, and a later time in addition to Anytime. We do however like to have the same waiter each night, and prefer to dine as a family and not join a large table. Can we still do that with Anytime without a crazy long wait each night?

For anytime dining, having a table for 4 instead of joining a larger table is not a problem. As for the wait time for tables, we never had a problem but it really depends on the 'make-up' of guest on any particular cruise. I can tell from the dining times offered that they are using one of the anytime dining rooms for early seating traditional dining so there will be three dining rooms available for anytime dining until about 7:30 or 8PM. Some nights, like the Captains cocktail party, there will be hordes of folks wanting to dine at the same time. Even though we utilized anytime dining, we usually used the same dining each night within about 30 minutes of the same time and they expected us even without reservations and we had the same wait staff BUT both times we were on much longer cruises and everyone onboard had pretty much established a routine (and we let them know if we would not be there, just as we would have with traditional dining). We find anytime works well for us. We like eating in the dining room as opposed to the buffet but if we have to wait a bit or DS skipped desert because he wanted to be somewhere, we are not bothered. We would rather have the flexibility (and, perhaps, a shower and a short nap after a port day).

I would opt for early seating since the evening program activities will start at 7 or 8. Our kids couldn't wait to head up for karaoke night, movie night, arcade night, boys vs. girl games etc.

I agree early seating. The first time we didn't know better and signed up for late seating. The kids ate at the buffet every night so they would be able to attend the events. Since then we have always picked anytime. The kids still eat at the buffet because they actually prefer it but they still have the option to eat in the MDR with us if they like the menu on a particular evening. I have teen boys so dress up is not a priority for them. Although on our last trip my son who was 17 at the time met a girl and all of a sudden his appearance mattered. He actually wore a shirt and tie one night and it wasn't even formal night.

Thank you all. I was given 3 different time slots, 5:30, 6:00, and a later time in addition to Anytime. We do however like to have the same waiter each night, and prefer to dine as a family and not join a large table. Can we still do that with Anytime without a crazy long wait each night?

Again, I ask if you have boys or girls? My girls love (d) to dress up(they're all grown now). We also like to have the same waiter. The waiters always treated them fabulously! They got to know their likes and made them feel like princesses.

If your kids are in their own cabin (we have 4 so they definitely were) then traditional dining was easier because we just told them to either be at our cabin or at the table by a certain time. Anytime would have been a disaster because many afternoons they had their own activities and it would have been hard to catch up and try to figure out a dinner time. That, actually, is one of the things they love about cruising - we all "do our own thing" all day and meet up for dinner. Your kids are just at the age where they can start doing that - a little "safe" freedom.

We always go with anytime dining, because of the flexibility it offers. You can specify that you don't want to share a table. You can also request a specific table/waiter, and ask for that table when you check in each night. The problem is that there may be quite a wait for that specific table. You can see about getting a standing reservation at the same table/time every night, but that defeats the advantages/flexibility of anytime dining.

If you want the same table every night, you should probably specify the 5:30 time. The evening kids program starts at 7:00. So the kids shouldn't miss much if you eat at 5:30. With traditional dining, you aren't guaranteed a table for 4/by yourself.

Thanks all. I have 1 boy and 1 girl. But neither are into primping or dressing up! :D Although they are longtime cruisers (DCL and RCCL mainly), this will be their first Princess cruise and they're looking forward to the more structured kids/teen programs.

While I like the same table/waiter/time, Anytime dining appeals to me as I don't like a big lag between dinner and entertainment, or oppositely, being in a rush. I like the evening entertainment/shows/movies/parties and hate to 'miss' anything so this puts me in a quandry! Since this is a holiday 14 nite cruise with probably a TON of families... I'm afraid anytime will be backed up at 'kid friendly' and 'entertainment friendly' times.

Archived