Which cruise line don't charge ridiculous prices for a 14 month old?

small talk

Hi

We were planning on a panama canal trip for 2013 with Princess but recently found out that by then we'd have a 14-month-old toddler.

After asking for a quote, they said that they'd charge us £1282 for a toddler which in our opinion is ridiculous and excessive, especially as a child of that age will not be using the amenities in the same way that a 10-year-old would be.

We're now on the hunt for a different cruise line that is a bit more child friendly than Princess and takes into account the differing ages of children when costing their cruises.

Help would be much appreciated.

(Shame on Princess!)

In most cases - not all - the price for the 3rd and 4th passenger is not based on age but just the fact that they are a passenger. Sometimes NCL will run a 'Kids Sail Free' promo or some lines like RCI and Carnival may have a reduced rate for the 3rd and 4th passenger which I suspect is what you got through Princess as the price you were quoted for 1st and 2nd was higher than 3rd. Doesn't really matter generally that the passenger is only 14 months old. Usually you don't have to pay gratuities for that age but that child will be catered to. It's not merely that you do the work and they just empty the trash. Kids make messes. Maybe yours won't and that will be great but you have to check prices.

Also, keep in mind that what you said is true, a 14 month old doesn't use services. That means, they don't shop, they don't drink, use the spa, or gamble. Since the 14 month old must count as a person for the ship, that is a person that will not be generating any extra revenue.

I believe most cruise lines just see a child as a third or fourth person.

Dies it have to the Panama Channel as a cruise?

Depending on your flexibility regarding where you cruise, check prices with Costa or MSC, they often have "kids sail free" cruises.

Other than that, Disney has some promotions as does RCCL, just keep your eyes open, as you are looking for 2013, there´s still time.

Also, keep in mind that what you said is true, a 14 month old doesn't use services. That means, they don't shop, they don't drink, use the spa, or gamble. Since the 14 month old must count as a person for the ship, that is a person that will not be generating any extra revenue.

I believe most cruise lines just see a child as a third or fourth person.

This should not be the consumers problem. Cruise lines need to factor this in when they advertise to families, IMHO.

OP, there was just recently a thread about NCL Kids Sail Free, although I doubt it was Panama Canal cruises.

I don't know if you're looking for the same itinerary specifically or what will be offered at the time you're planning to sail, but NCL accounts for children under the age of 2 in pricing. DS was 14 months old when we sailed last year and we only had to pay port taxes for him. Once the child is 2, (s)he counts as a 3rd/4th passenger at regular 3rd/4th pax rate, though there are occasional kids sail free promos for select sailings.

Hi

We were planning on a panama canal trip for 2013 with Princess but recently found out that by then we'd have a 14-month-old toddler.

After asking for a quote, they said that they'd charge us £1282 for a toddler which in our opinion is ridiculous and excessive, especially as a child of that age will not be using the amenities in the same way that a 10-year-old would be.

We're now on the hunt for a different cruise line that is a bit more child friendly than Princess and takes into account the differing ages of children when costing their cruises.

Help would be much appreciated.

(Shame on Princess!)

Well, I do believe in "planning ahead", but....perhaps you might want to wait awhile??? You're basically talking about two years from now.

Find a good, knowledgable local travel agent, and have him/her keep an eye out for specials. Quite often, there are Kids-travel-free on the various lines.

Where do you find a "good, knowledgeable local" Travel Agent? I used to be one, in an actual office, until early 2004. All of our local Brick & Mortar Travel Agencies closed down years ago. Do you have one in Northern Colorado? BTW, I lived in Denver for 35 years, and oldest son lives in Ft. Collins and teaches Chemistry at CSU. I'm pretty familiar with "Northern Colorado".

That means, they don't shop, they don't drink, use the spa, or gamble. Since the 14 month old must count as a person for the ship, that is a person that will not be generating any extra revenue.

You are correct, however if they choose to take the cruise and leave the 14 month old home... the same could be said, except the cruise line will get $0 in that case and still have a room that holds 3+ with only 2 passengers in it (assuming they went with original quoted room).

You are correct, however if they choose to take the cruise and leave the 14 month old home... the same could be said, except the cruise line will get $0 in that case and still have a room that holds 3+ with only 2 passengers in it (assuming they went with original quoted room).

That doesn't matter at all. The ship is allowed only so many "souls" regardless of age. Even if you have a cabin that holds four, you might not be able to actually put four passengers in it if the ship is already to capacity. For example, there might be 3,000 "berths" on a ship but the ship's capacity might be only 2,500 - thus, those 500 extra "berths" will be empty anyway.

Before you book with a line that discounts babies, read some reviews - sometimes you get what you pay for.

Before you book with a line that discounts babies, read some reviews - sometimes you get what you pay for.

Also, a line that does discount for babies may still cost you more overall (i.e., Disney). That's what I found when I was booking for my twin 13 month olds. We ended up on Princess - and I had to pay FULL price for one of them along with 3rd person for the other, and it was well worth it. Overall, it was still a less expensive vacation than when we went to a resort, where technically my daughters didn't cost anything extra, but the overall cost was higher.

On Princess (and maybe other lines) some particular cruises have higher 3rd passenger rates than others, so you may want to see if there's another itinerary or week that has a more reduced fee. Sometimes the 3rd passenger is a fraction of the full fare cost, and sometimes it's almost the same.

Best,

Mia

This should not be the consumers problem. Cruise lines need to factor this in when they advertise to families, IMHO.

OP, there was just recently a thread about NCL Kids Sail Free, although I doubt it was Panama Canal cruises.

I don't think it is the consumer's problem, unless the consumer is a parent who assumes that there will be a significant discount or no fare for their child. The same goes for other "groups" expecting discounts: Seniors, students, military, etc. We do not assume that there will be discounts for us and are happy when there are.

I'm not sure how the cruise lines would factor in the prices when they advertise to families. What do you suggest? Something like, "Bring the whole family, but don't expect a discount for the kids because that's not part of our fare structure"? Other companies aren't expected to do that, at least as far as I know, so why should cruise lines? It is, after all, advertising.

As others have mentioned, there are only so many passengers allowed onboard. There is no such thing as a "lap baby" on cruises. Babies may not use the facilities, but they can be plenty of work for the crew, who usually dote on them.

Talking to a TA can be an excellent idea because he or she may know which cruise lines have reduced fares for infants/children and be able to watch for specials, such as 3rd/4th passenger cruise for $99 or similar. He or she will also be able to do an overall cost comparison. As mentioned, Disney might have low children's fares, but their 1st/2nd passenger fares are not cheap.

Bottom line is that parents have to decide if the cost is worth it to them. What's outrageous to one, might be fine to another.

small talk:

I disagree with "shame on Princess" (and you'll have to add many other lines to that list). This is part of their business structure, simple as that. Perhaps they feel that if they let children cruise free, then there will be so many free children onboard that they'd have to raise fares for everyone else or start losing money. That would be shameful, IMO. When you have a child, you take on the costs.

beachchick

Have taken 3 cruises with my children. On NCL the rates were reduced and on RC they paid full fares which drove me insane. The only reason we did RC was because it was with all of my wife's family, otherwise would have never paid full fares for at the time a 7 month and 2 year old.

• 3 weeks later...

The only line that I found when we had a 2 year old and a 6 month old that didn't charge full fare was Norwegian. We had fun but I wouldn't do another NCL cruise line mainly because the food wasn't as good as other lines unless you go to their "extra charge" dining rooms. But, if you really want to save the $$$ this is the only one I found. We paid port charges only for the baby and about $200 for the 2 year old. Good luck!

Check out HAL too. They don't advertise pro-actively but some times they will just offer $0-$199 for 3rd/4th pax for certain date/itinerary including Panama Canal.

+1

When I was looking at HAL for booking, they charged me only the taxes for my 5 and 2 year old. Passenger 1 and 2 paid like $700 each with $62 ish of taxes included. Both kids were only charged the $62 ish, so they sailed for free.

Not sure if this is true on all cruises but it was on that one. Next year I will definately check them out for my next cruise.

+1

When I was looking at HAL for booking, they charged me only the taxes for my 5 and 2 year old. Passenger 1 and 2 paid like $700 each with $62 ish of taxes included. Both kids were only charged the $62 ish, so they sailed for free.

Not sure if this is true on all cruises but it was on that one. Next year I will definately check them out for my next cruise.

As far as I know only on certain itineraries and dates. You just have find them. Interestingly when I tried to do a mock ressie thru my TA booking engine for my upcoming HAL cruise for 4 adults, 3rd/4th pax also free. Not sure if this is really the case. This applies to all categories that I can search .. inside, OV, verandah to suites.

So is this "adults sail free"? :rolleyes:

NCL charged us $220 for our 13 month old (Alaskan cruise this July), her taxes and fees were the same as ours so her total is $400. That was less than an adult 3rd which would have been $399 pre-taxes and fees.

PS-Disney is definitely pricier than the other cruises we took, but it sure was glorious! :-)

We are looking at Holland America for March 2012. 3rd pax rate $199 + tax. They seem to have very good pricing for child. I also saw a few sailing at various times of the year at $99.

MSC also advertises Kids Sail Free. Although their itineraries are limited in the Caribbean.

• 2 weeks later...

IMPO Princess has charged a higher rate, because they are actively trying to keep out families with small children. The same thing happens if you want to see a show in the theater

Lap babies need their own ticket. Who is going to pay. Upwards of $100 for a infant to see a show?

IMPO Princess has charged a higher rate, because they are actively trying to keep out families with small children.

I haven't found this to be the case. Almost without exception, I've found RCCL to be more expensive than Princess for my family on the same itineraries, and RCCL certainly isn't trying to keep out families. Princess and the other cruiseliens for the most part charge the same 3rd & 4th person rates no matter what the age of the passenger. On Princess at times our 3rd person rate has been a fraction of the full fare, and on some cruises almost as much as the base fare....which I also think is true for most of the other lines all based on supply and demand.

All the best,

Mia

Archived