Wi fi

Claybuster58

If it accesses the Internet, like a laptop or netbook does, then there is a charge.

It costs $3.95 to set up the account, then there is a charge per minute. That charge is either $0.75 per minute, or a plan of 100 minute for $55, or a plan of 250 minutes for $100.

There are smaller plans at the same per minute rate near the end of the cruise (suitable for airline check-in).

Used our ipad with the wifi and yes you pay and yes it is slug slow and yes there are specials the first day. I am a big techie and two years ago purchased 250 minutes for a 28 day cruise and had time left at the end. We just got back from 23 day cruise with 100 min package and the last morning I had 20 minutes left and would not leave the ship til they were gone - okay so I left with 2 minutes left in the account. Reason? - it is slow most of the time and although you can get access in most of the cabins after a while it is just not worth it. I guess I am not a very patient person but I learned to go in turn on my mail go to the internet and hope that the mail was dowloaded by the time I had finished the internet- I also used only one account while I was gone and warned others I would be doing that and then I turned the others off til I got off the ship.

What you could try is wait till you get to a port and find a free hot spot (if you can) and send off your emails at that time. It may or may not be an option depending on the ports you hit.

I've always just waited until I get into port. If the city is safe enough to wander around in, walk a little ways from the port and try to find a McDonalds or something with free WiFi advertised in the window. Places near the docks tend to charge, from my experience. Of course, that eats up your time in port, so it's a tradeoff!

I've found that if the ship is in a place with good satellite reception, it is actually quite fast. That said, a lot of times it IS very slow. The librarian on duty can usually tell you about the current speed, and I've learned that when s/he says it's slow, I just come back later.

The librarian on duty can usually tell you about the current speed, and I've learned that when s/he says it's slow, I just come back later.
I would rather test the speed myself by using the HAL site for free before logging in.

Archived