Tortola beaches

NJEMT29

we are on the freedom on july 16,2011 eastern carribbean and are trying to find a beach close to the port or within a short cab ride for 12 people. would like to have chairs and umbrellas if possable. any sugesstions would be great.

thanks

Check the port of call boards. My experience on Tortola is that there are no beaches close to where the ship docks. Tortola is a port where you really want to take an excursion either to the Baths on Virgin Gorda, or to the island of Jost van Dyke,

I second Cane Garden Bay.

We went on our own (not thru Carnival), about $25 a person for taxi ride there. And I think we paid $5 for a chair. Scariest cab ride - but it was one of the most beautiful places I have been...

I second Cane Garden Bay.

We went on our own (not thru Carnival), about $25 a person for taxi ride there. And I think we paid $5 for a chair. Scariest cab ride - but it was one of the most beautiful places I have been...

We did this as well - it was one of the most beautiful beaches I ever saw! The cab ride was a definite exxperience!

As for taking the ferry to Virgin Gorda - watch your time - we did this thru Carnival last time thank goodness because the ferry was late getting back. The ship had to wait for us because we booked this thru Carnival. Otherwise we would have been on our own.

I'm all for saving money but for some things I'd rather use the ships excursions.

We got off the ship and found the 'taxi' head guy - filling up the open air 'cabs' for tours. Got a FABULOUS tour for $25 pp - tour of the island, photo opps, then a few hours at Sugar Cane Bay - gorgeous day and well worth it - we also lucked out cuz we got Romeo the 'singing' tour guide who serenaded us throughout the day!

View of the beach on our way 'down'....

2893407750059010061S600x600Q85.jpg

2451011550059010061S600x600Q85.jpg

Romeo the 'singing' tour guide!

2785735760059010061S600x600Q85.jpg

Cane Garden Bay was a great choice for our family. Open air taxi's costs us approx. $18 pp round-trip. The beach is gorgeous, gentle waves for bobbing, chairs, shady trees if desired, beach bar, restrooms (a bit yucky). What a relaxing time. It was great. And the taxi ride is quite an experience (hold on tight).

Back in Sept 2009, we were in Tortola and went to Nanny Cay Marina and Beach. It was a short drive from the port (just a few clicks past the swim-with-the-dolphins complex). Nanny Cay has a small cove area with palapas, free lounge chairs, and very calm water great for snorkling and swimming(it's a cove). When we were there, the restaurant and facilities were under renovation, so we were not able to use them. Even if that had not been the case, this is not necessarily a tourist beach; it seemed to cater to boaters who mostly live on their vessels. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our time there as it was peaceful. Not sure about reliable transportation back to the port, though. Our cab driver had also been our driver in St. Thomas 2 days earlier. He lives in Tortola, and when we told him we'd be in Tortola two days later, he said he'd meet us at the pier, and he really did! In any case, I would imagine that the restoration is completed by now, and the restaurant and bar have re-opened. I'd do a search online to confirm, though.

My sister and I went to Cane Garden last spring and the taxi ride was only $6 per person each way.

It is a stunning beach, a bit crowded, but I'd go back in a heartbeat. The taxi ride was a bit thrilling or scary, depending on one's scare factors.

DSC02637.jpg

DSC02638.jpg

DSC02636.jpg

My sister and I went to Cane Garden last spring and the taxi ride was only $6 per person each way.

It is a stunning beach, a bit crowded, but I'd go back in a heartbeat. The taxi ride was a bit thrilling or scary, depending on one's scare factors.

DSC02637.jpg

DSC02638.jpg

DSC02636.jpg

Beautiful photos, but I cannot stomach those trips over mountain roads with hairpin turns--(thrilling or scary indeed!). This is the main reason we went to Nanny Cay. I've done scary taxi rides numerous times (in Roatan, St. Thomas, Jamaica, Martinique). Done it enough times, that I don't need (want) to do it again. But, for those who haven't seen the spectacular beaches that take some doing to get to, it's definitely worth it.

As you can tell from my screen name, I am a BVI buff! If I was to go to Tortola for only one day, I would have to opt for Smuggler's Cove. Very quite, more isolated than Cane Garden Bay. Actually a 4 wheel drive is recommended to get there, but so worth it!! I would love to post some of the pics I have, but the files are larger than what is allowed to be posted. CGB atmosphere may be more of what you want, though with its various bars and restaurants. If I wasn't going to stay on Tortola definitely go for a JVD excursion and visit Soggy Dollar, One Love, Foxy's and Ivan's!! You won't regret it!!

We were thinking about doing the Baths, but it comes down to tricky timing and most ships aren't in port THAT long. In the end, I don't think I want to be spending as much time getting there and back as I do at the Bath's. Based on the homework I've done, I think we'll be heading to Cane Garden Bay as well.

We were thinking about doing the Baths, but it comes down to tricky timing and most ships aren't in port THAT long. In the end, I don't think I want to be spending as much time getting there and back as I do at the Bath's. Based on the homework I've done, I think we'll be heading to Cane Garden Bay as well.

You can definitely do it in enough time, it's worth it - I would suggest booking this one through the cruise ship though. It's beautiful once you get there, and if you head back up from the baths a little early - there is a spectacular bar / restaurant where we had a drink, that overlooked the water and other islands.

You can definitely do it in enough time, it's worth it - I would suggest booking this one through the cruise ship though. It's beautiful once you get there, and if you head back up from the baths a little early - there is a spectacular bar / restaurant where we had a drink, that overlooked the water and other islands.

Can you give me a rough estimate on how long it actually took to get over to the Baths and back, and how much time you had once you got there? Thanks.

Can you give me a rough estimate on how long it actually took to get over to the Baths and back, and how much time you had once you got there? Thanks.

Sure! It was about a 20 -25 minute ride over to Virgin Gorda. We had a few hours - maybe 3-3 1/2 hours in the baths. It was gorgeous, but hot! My advise here is to get a seat OUTSIDE on the ferry - inside was a bit much. :)

Out ferry was late getting back to the ship - I'm glad I booked this thru Carnival. We were scheduled to leave Tortola at 1 and got back to the ship at 1:25. As soon as the last person boarded the ship they untied the ropes LOL!

Archived