Vienna and Budapest how far

briody

Hi my cc friends - so how far is it from the port to the town for Vienna and Budapest and Regemsbirg amd Linz - * I am planning my evenings and need to know - thanks

briody;)

Hi -

In Budapest you can walk off the boat and you are never too far from the centre of the city. However, depending on whether your boat is docked on the Buda or the Pest side - you may find it a bit of a hike if you wish to see things on the other shore.

In Vienna, you need to take the subway into town. The river boats dock fairly close to a subway station.

In Regensburg, you are fairly close to town - maybe a 5 - 10 minute walk (depending on how quickly you walk...)

Sorry - can't answer for Linz.

Vienna - If you are on an AMA Waterways ship, there is a shuttle bus to the city center. We used it and found it to be very convenient. If you want to stay longer, you can take the tram to the stop close to where the ships dock. Perhaps other lines have shuttle buses, too... you should inquire.

Budapest - It does depend on the side of the river. It appeared to me that Viking was lined up on the Pest side near the Chain Bridge, which made it fairly easy to get to many activities. The Amacello was docked on the Buda side, not too far from a tram stop so you could walk to the tram and take it over the bridge or take another tram to various Buda-side activities or even walk along the river.

In Regensburg, you are actually in the town (at least we were). It was a couple of blocks to the main shopping area, but we were very close to it.

In Linz we were about a quarter of a mile, maybe a half a mile from the big Square... a brisk walk got us there fairly quickly. We managed a brief trip to the Modern Art Museum during a quick stop. It was open the evening we were there and was quite close to the ship (closer than the Square in fact.)

Vienna - If you are on an AMA Waterways ship, there is a shuttle bus to the city center. We used it and found it to be very convenient. If you want to stay longer, you can take the tram to the stop close to where the ships dock. Perhaps other lines have shuttle buses, too... you should inquire. I am on AMA - is this the evening your arrive also

In Regensburg, you are actually in the town (at least we were). It was a couple of blocks to the main shopping area, but we were very close to it. Did you do the optional tour to Weltenberg or did you stay in Regensburg for the day - we do not leave till 9 pm

thanks - Briody

Hi Biody and Rachel,

I'll answer your questions here. If you haven't read (or at least skimmed) my rather long and detailed review of our trip, you can find it here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1390554

On the evening we arrived in Viennna, the shuttle bus brought us to the Schwedenplatz, which is about three blocks from St. Stephens and the start of the pedestrian area that starts there - great for strolling! The Schwedenplatz is an area along the canal with bus and tram stops. Your guide or tour manager (we had our tour manager, Pili, with us) will tell you alternative ways to get back to the ship if you wish to remain in town longer. We left right after dinner (8:00 on the schedule but I'm sure it varies) with the return shuttle listed on the schedule for 10 p.m., but again, they will tell you the time to meet when you get on the shuttle.

On the next day, we had a bus and walking city tour from 8:30 -12:30. Those planning to stay on in the city and not return for lunch were asked to notify Reception so they could plan lunch accordingly. Those who wanted to return came back on the buses. In the afternoon there was an optional tour of Schoenbrunn Palace, which cost extra, and a Shuttle Bus for those who wished to do something on their own. Shuttle Buses went back to town at 1:30 and 2:30 and returned to the ship at 2:, 3:45 and 5 p.m. It was All Aboard at 5:45 and we set sail for Budapest at 6 p.m. My traveling companion and I had seen Schoenbrunn on another visit to Vienna (at least I had and I think she probably had) and stayed in town from the morning tour (in fact, we left the tour early and headed out on our own itinerary). After a visit to the market (great!) and lunch on our own, we went to the Belvedere Palace to see the marvelous Klimts and Shieles and other art on display. Then we returned to the ship via one of the afternoon Shuttle Buses... very convenient and easy!

Briody - We did not have the optional Weltenberg tour (different time of year) and left Regensburg at 9 with an All Aboard at 8:45. The entertainment was at 6:30 (before dinner) and dinner was at 7:30 that night (it varied every day depending on the schedule).

Hope this helps! Enjoy your cruises and please let me know how it went after you return since I'll be doing this cruise again at the end of October.

Linda

Linda, thanks for your very thorough review. In Vienna, do you remember if there was a shuttle bus earlier than 8? If not, it appears that we can take a tram downtown. I just need to be able to give our friends a time to meet us. I am thinking 7:30 would be safe.

The earlier bus went to the Concert, which was an optional paid activity. You might be able to hitch a ride on that and meet your friends at or near wherever the concert is held. You would have to ask the Cruise Director if there's room on the bus or buses, but couldn't say for sure.... worth asking. The tram was along the water from where we were docked and seemed to run on a regular schedule. I have a complete set of information on transportation options from the ship into town and can provide more details if you'd like them. They gave us a run-down in our daily briefing and they were also listed on the back of our daily program.

Archived