Laundry specials - information please

Jo and Rob

I'm a bit worried about the lack of laundry facilities on Celebrity and lack of storage space as we are a family of four on a 14 night cruise. On a different thread I have also discovered that Eclipse doesn't have a clothes line in the shower.

Does Celebrity do any special deals during the cruise? Can you tell me what they are?

I'm a bit worried about the lack of laundry facilities on Celebrity and lack of storage space as we are a family of four on a 14 night cruise. On a different thread I have also discovered that Eclipse doesn't have a clothes line in the shower.

Does Celebrity do any special deals during the cruise? Can you tell me what they are?

I cannot say with certainty what, if any, laundry specials you may receive because my experiences on the Millennium have been inconsistent. Last December, on a 10-day cruise, we were offered a "fill the bag" special for US$30 (or some amount close to that). But on a very recent 15-day sailing, we were not offered any laundry specials. I had assumed we would have had at least one, if not two, laundry specials on the longer cruise.

If you do receive such an offer, it will be to fill the flimsy paper bag with as much laundry as it will hold, for a fixed price (approx. US$30)

If you are going on a 14 night cruise in Europe and will have a few days pre cruise, I'd budget in $100 for laundry. Less is needed if you are Elite Captains club and have the coupons for some free laundry from them.

We haven't seen any early or mid cruise laundry specials on recent cruises, aside from the Captain's Club coupons. We have heard of some reports now and then about a $30 bag of laundry special. We've done those in the past on coupons and/or specials a few years ago. I found if you were really careful and worked at it you could pack about $50 in laundry in the paper sacks. While the $20 savings ($50 vs. $30 special) is nothing to dismiss it certainly isn't a deal breaker for us. Also, the laundry specials usually don't include any pressing and items are returned in a paper sack. With laundry at the piece rate items like pants and shirts that button are returned pressed and on hangers.

There are no washing lines on any of the Solstice class ships but there is nothing to stop you taking a travel clothes line with you and rig it up in the shower

Jo, I feel your pain! We are a family of four going on an 11 day Med cruise on June 6. I know from past experience that we can go through a lot of clothes, especially on a port intensive cruise during hot weather. Plus my DH likes to use the gym and generates a pile of sweaty workout clothes.

I figure we'll get by with a combination of hand washing and sending items out to be cleaned. Fortunately the apartment we're renting in Rome for our pre-cruise visit has a washer/dryer so we can board with clean clothes. But I'm mystified by the lack of a clothes line in the shower. If nothing else, it's handy for drying swimsuits.

Jo, I feel your pain! We are a family of four going on an 11 day Med cruise on June 6. I know from past experience that we can go through a lot of clothes, especially on a port intensive cruise during hot weather. Plus my DH likes to use the gym and generates a pile of sweaty workout clothes.

I figure we'll get by with a combination of hand washing and sending items out to be cleaned. Fortunately the apartment we're renting in Rome for our pre-cruise visit has a washer/dryer so we can board with clean clothes. But I'm mystified by the lack of a clothes line in the shower. If nothing else, it's handy for drying swimsuits.

I totally agree! So my next question is how many drawers are there in a standard balcony cabin? If I bring a fortnight's worth of clothes for the four of us, will I actually be able to unpack them?

At least in the Summer clothes aren't so bulky. Can you imagine trying to squash a load of jumpers and thick coats into the mix!

There are 5 small drawers and one double wardrobe plus some overbed lockers - search on this site and you will find pictures of cabin interiors which will answer your questions on this

You will probably struggle as a family of 4 in the cabin re storage if you do not also use your cases as under bed storage

I'm hoping not to have to use it at all. Is it true there are no washing lines in the shower on Eclipse?

Jo & Rob,

Yes that is correct. After travelling so many times, you learn the tricks of the trade. Buy a washing line rope, net washing bag - like the bags that hold footballs, cloth pegs and liquid soap and you can do the small stuff yourself and hang it out to dry on the balcony on the rope. Unless you are an Elite Member the laundry service is a rip off

Cheers

Scouser

Jo & Rob,

Yes that is correct. After travelling so many times, you learn the tricks of the trade. Buy a washing line rope, net washing bag - like the bags that hold footballs, cloth pegs and liquid soap and you can do the small stuff yourself and hang it out to dry on the balcony on the rope. Unless you are an Elite Member the laundry service is a rip off

Cheers

Scouser

Actually the dry cleaning on board is actually just as cheap as our regular dry cleaner, so I would have no problem using that service. As for the laundry service, yeah that seems a bit expensive, partucularly for a family. I might send a couple of items out. An example would be if I get some food on a shirt I had planned to wear twice. Bringing 8 or 9 days of clothes for a 14 day cruise would be expensive.

I agree. I think the laundry and pressing are very reasonable and I have found the service and results very good.

As for the washing line on the balcony, on our Connie cruise in March these folk had their clothes hanging out on their aft facing balcony for the whole two weeks. I guess the view of a pair of shorts, a towel and some socks beat that of the wake. Very odd:confused: It is actually prohibited rather than just discouraged.

2905669670054958397S600x600Q85.jpg

Phil

As for the washing line on the balcony, on our Connie cruise in March these folk had their clothes hanging out on their aft facing balcony for the whole two weeks. I guess the view of a pair of shorts, a towel and some socks beat that of the wake. Very odd:confused: It is actually prohibited rather than just discouraged.

Phil

It seems a bit odd that this would happen on Connie. I thought the Millenium class ships had lines in the bathroom for drying stuff?

Archived