Build quality of the shipyard, new RCI ships being built in Germany

Is there reason why RCI is switching shipyard from STX in Finland to Meyer Werft in Germany to build the new class of ships? Other than some purely business decision?

Anyone interested in engineering and other aspects of ship building here? I was involved in a project a while ago, and found that the craftsmanship of cruise shipbuilding in Finland was better than the STX in France. Curious to see how the quality of the German shipyards are; I'm sure they're great as to the build quality. Things studied were reliability, tolerances, incidences of things breaking, etc.

Is there reason why RCI is switching shipyard from STX in Finland to Meyer Werft in Germany to build the new class of ships? Other than some purely business decision?

Anyone interested in engineering and other aspects of ship building here? I was involved in a project a while ago, and found that the craftsmanship of cruise shipbuilding in Finland was better than the STX in France. Curious to see how the quality of the German shipyards are; I'm sure they're great as to the build quality. Things studied were reliability, tolerances, incidences of things breaking, etc.

RCCL must be happy with Meyer as they will have received 5 Solstice class ships for Celebrity, and the 4 Radiance class ships, all from Meyer.

RCCL must be happy with Meyer as they will have received 5 Solstice class ships for Celebrity, and the 4 Radiance class ships, all from Meyer.

Yes, but they've had all 5 Voyager class ships, as well as the 3 Freedom class ships, and the 2 Oasis class ships. That's ten massive, beautiful ships in eleven years, hence the wonderment of the sudden change in shipyards. I have wondered this myself.

Cost of the build is perhaps why RCI would choose ship yards, and schedule effects cost also. Saving millions using one yard over the other is a simple, decision. The yards submit proposals and preliminary designs with a cost extimate before commitment contracts are signed. Any builder must meet QC and owner specifications, or the ship is not accepted. Like any large project, incentives, progress milestones, QC, etc. is measured over the entire lifecycle of the build, so final acceptance doesn't come in question.

Yes, but they've had all 5 Voyager class ships, as well as the 3 Freedom class ships, and the 2 Oasis class ships. That's ten massive, beautiful ships in eleven years, hence the wonderment of the sudden change in shipyards. I have wondered this myself.

I agree, those are beautiful ships. I'm just thinking that having seen the quality and beauty of the Solstice class ships, perhaps Royal learned that quality was comparable between Turku and Meyer, so they could then choose the shipyard based on cost and delivery schedule.

I agree, those are beautiful ships. I'm just thinking that having seen the quality and beauty of the Solstice class ships, perhaps Royal learned that quality was comparable between Turku and Meyer, so they could then choose the shipyard based on cost and delivery schedule.

That's the most likely reason. The OP was just wondering if there was another reason besides cost, and I don't think that there is.

Both the Finnish and German shipyards have produced exemplary ships for RCI and since the recent lull in shipbuilding probably caused both shipyards to offer competitive bids to the cruiseline, I suspect that they decided that the German company offered the best deal. Having more than one quality shipyard bidding on the construction contract was a good business decision. We'll be better able to judge the wisdom of their decision as more details about the Project Sunshine ships become available and once they debut.

I believe Meyer recently enlarged their facility - thus being able to build larger ships.

I thought there was some sort of size restriction associated with Meyer. Something that would limit the width and/or height of a ship they could build. I thought I read somewhere that they could not have built a Voyager/Freedom class ship, let alone Oasis.

Based on the fact that we are now living in a "World Economy", I would say no matter who has won the bid/contract. The labor behind the build would be the same "guys" cutting/welding/building etc... Most laborers in that field of work will travel the world for work. It is definitly not a job for everyone... God bless'em though, they build beautiful ships and I will enjoy the fruits of their labor :)

From my perspective (I have cruised several new builds the past few years) the quaility coming out of Meyer is vastly superior to the other yards. Disney Dream, Solstice class, no issues. Attention to detail incredible as well as warranty support of the finished product.

I never got why all these cruise shipping company’s decide to build them in shipyards over here in Europe...

Even if the welders, cutters, etc, are labors from outside EU countries, they still need to written into the system, hence pay a “boatload” (:D) of extra costs to social security and taxes...

I really am convinced you can find a whole cheaper workforce everywhere except in the EU.

I give more than 1/4th of my paycheck away to the government and social security, and I cost to the company a total 4/4 to the state...So if you are like me, and have always worked, never had a prolonged period of sickness ,that’s more than a quarter which goes nowhere (actually it does go somewhere, but this is a too long story).

That sed I wouldn’t want to give up the EU system do, should something happen I will fall into the safe nets.

On another topic ;) my latest BMW (2years old) is of a significaly less build qualety compared to my previous BMW (build in 2000), let’s hope it’s not like this in the shipyard, because it is even that bad that I will never buy another one...And that for the (self)so-called best German car there is.

I was thinking that another possibility for choice of shipyard could be the financing. I remember reading that both Oasis and Allure received financing with the involvement of the Finnish government. Could be that was no longer available or the terms were not as advantageous as other sources associated with Meyer.

Hi

RCCL cannot get a ship size of an oasis of the seas or allure of the seas from Meyer shipyard – you have to bring the ships from the shipyard to the open sea – along the river Ems.

So size is the limit. Biggest ship ever at the moment was Disney Dream with 128.000BRT.

Meyer itself maybe could be able to build bigger ships – but cannot bring them to the open sea.

Quality is wonderful – if you ever sailed with Norwegian Dawn you know what I am talking about. (for sure: you get, what you order...)

Think about driving a Mercedes Benz or BMW .....

Wendy

For a major project, the "Request for Proposal" is a common practice that companies, such as RCL, must partake in order to find a beneficial partner.

Meyer Werft in Germany most likely forwarded a bid that fits the budget, technical ability, risk assessment, time line, etc that RCL required for their next generation ship.

Yeah, that's interesting. Since STX Finland has been making so many beautiful and well-constructed ships, like the Oasis class. So it's gotta be financing and who "won the bid" in terms of price, date of the finished ship, etc, rather than quality.

Moving on to build quality, I'm sure the quality of the new shipyard will be great. Speaking of France-made things, those French cars were never really reliable and things were always loose with creaks and cracks :D

Verfai, is your new BMW still built in Germany and not some other place? I do know those 3 series around years 2001 and 2002 had amazing drum-tight build quality!

Yeah, that's interesting. Since STX Finland has been making so many beautiful and well-constructed ships, like the Oasis class. So it's gotta be financing and who "won the bid" in terms of price, date of the finished ship, etc, rather than quality.

Moving on to build quality, I'm sure the quality of the new shipyard will be great. Speaking of France-made things, those French cars were never really reliable and things were always loose with creaks and cracks :D

Verfai, is your new BMW still built in Germany and not some other place? I do know those 3 series around years 2001 and 2002 had amazing drum-tight build quality!

Yes, the car is still build in Germany, Leipzig fab…

It is clearly overall less quality then my cars predecessor of which I was sooooo proud and content of that I bought another one (series 1 with bigger engine and 3d sport hatch)

I can give you plenty of examples, but these two are the mayor ones:

Biggest fault is the paintjob, it’s even that bad that the entire color line has discontinued…But now I have a expensive car with faulty paintjob.

It’s also burning motor-oil like crazy, technicians tell me it’s normal, but when I say my previous one (same series) didn’t burn any oil, they are always speechless.

And before somebody says or thinks this: Yes I did everything possible to complain (except going to court) they didn’t budge…they say I am to critical…Would you still buy another +30k Euro product from them when you hear something like that!?

Anyhow sorry for this of topic :D

But by this (admit personal) example I am very cautious with German build things that cost a lot of money.

The average person would be hard pressed to know what the shipyard actually built themselves and what was built by an outside supplier and just assembled at the shipyard. Seems like the shipyards biggest task is managing the project.

Archived