Beware of what carnival calls "early saver"

agabbymama

My husband's job is such that we never know if something may come up last minute and he has to cancel, so we always get the insurance. Would it be better to book the past guest rate instead?

I love ES--got about $400 OBC on my last cruise. But, I wouldn't book it if I thought my dates of travel might change.

Sometimes old threads have important enough information that us newbies are glad to see it bumped. I wasn't around CC when the thread was origionally posted. And while I think the OP should have done more research and shouldn't blame Carnival.....that research is EXACTLY what *I* am doing so this info is good to know ;)

Consider posting a new thread or asking your question on a more current thread. Bumping a thread this old just starts the discussion all over again and the OP is long gone, but now people are once again blaming her for what Carnival's Customer Service didn't tell her. :rolleyes:

(Not sure how such an old post made it back in circulation when there are so many ES posts here):confused:

Seriously.

One question, in this case, if she rebooked, does it still have to be the same exact 2 people to have the deposit transferred?:confused:

The fare is not tranferable and no name changes are allowed.

If you paid for both people and the other person can't go you can fill out a form and have the other persons deposit money minus the $50 admistrative fee applied to you for future use up to 24 months.

Bill

I realize this is a very old post that got bumped today, but since I'm about to book an early saver for my family of 4, I was very interested in the thread.

Can anyone tell me if the cruise insurance would change the non-refundable deposit if you have to cancel or can it only be transferred to a new cruise? My husband's job is such that we never know if something may come up last minute and he has to cancel, so we always get the insurance. Would it be better to book the past guest rate instead?

The insurance covers against loss.

When you cancel an ES booking you only lose $50pp so the insurance in most instances isn't going to refund you the whole deposit since you still have the balance of the deposit.

Bill

You are right, it was mean. I apologize. I am offended by Carnival bashers, and I let my anger at them get the best of me.

I have little tolerance for bashers, as well. I've learned that most have never even set foot on a Carnival ship. :rolleyes: This was different to me though, as she was complaining that she wasn't given some pretty critical information. If she accurately described what happend, I think she has reason to be upset. Just MHO.

Just a word of caution to beware of what Carnival calls their "Early Saver" booking. I called Carnival to book a short 2 day cruise for my granddaughter and myself for December 2011. I was not informed I was purchasing "Early Saver", made a $200 deposit. I was not informed that deposit was non-refundable and non-transferable.

I now find I have to cancel the cruise, so I've just lost that $200 deposit.

That's the last $$ Carnival will see from me.

Happy travels to all.:(

Were you to lazy to read about "Early Saver" or can't you read?

The following is associated with ALL early saver rates. This seems like your problem and not Carnivals. Why didn't read contract print for what you bought?

*Early Saver: Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person, based on double occupancy, capacity controlled and subject to change at any time without prior notice. Government taxes and fees are from $17.83 to $279.52 additional for each guest based on itinerary. A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required at the time of booking for all guests to secure confirmed accommodations. Fares are backed by a unique price protection policy. Full names are required for each guest. Offer is valid for new bookings only and is not combinable with any other discounted or promotional offer. Available on sailings 3 months prior to sail date for short cruises (5 days or less) and available on sailings 5 months prior to sail date for long cruises (6 days or longer). Savings are based on Fun Select rates and vary by sailings. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. No name changes are allowed. No downgrades are allowed. A $50 service fee will be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date. Cancellation penalties apply.

Consider posting a new thread or asking your question on a more current thread. Bumping a thread this old just starts the discussion all over again

I didn't bump it, but I read it because it was bumped. Thanks for the suggestion though. If I'd posted a new thread I guarantee someone would have told me to do a search before posting because there are lots of threads already on the topic. THAT is exactly how old threads get bumped. It's a case of darned if you do and darned if you don't

I didn't bump it, but I read it because it was bumped. Thanks for the suggestion though. If I'd posted a new thread I guarantee someone would have told me to do a search before posting because there are lots of threads already on the topic. THAT is exactly how old threads get bumped. It's a case of darned if you do and darned if you don't

I didn't say you did--was simply commenting on what you said. I understand the darned whatever you do--there are people who will jump on you for absolutely nothing. I just booked my first NCL cruise so I've been spending time on the NCL board. There are some snarky people there, too, but nothing like what I've seen on the Carnival board.:mad:

I didn't say you did--was simply commenting on what you said. I understand the darned whatever you do--there are people who will jump on you for absolutely nothing. I just booked my first NCL cruise so I've been spending time on the NCL board. There are some snarky people there, too, but nothing like what I've seen on the Carnival board.:mad:

I think the snarky people are all over lol There's a lot of threads that get very nasty over on the HAL board too. However, there are just as many people who are very friendly and extremely helpful and don't care how many times a question's been asked :) That's probably what keeps us newbies coming back. I can't believe how much I've learned from this site and I am waaaaay better prepared for my next cruise. The 1st cruise wasn't so hot, but only because I was so unprepared....esp because I didn't use seasick meds BEFORE cruising, and I packed totally wrong lol I packed for the tropics only to find myself freezing on the ship the entire trip lol

No kidding. I just don't understand when people feel the need to jump in and bash without even reading the thread. :rolleyes:

Wait....did I just hear you say that people on this board jump in and bash, don't even read the threads, and (later) you say that we are snarky? You are talking that way about us? Have you considered the assumptions you are making about us and the names you are calling us?

I think the snarky people are all over lol There's a lot of threads that get very nasty over on the HAL board too. However, there are just as many people who are very friendly and extremely helpful and don't care how many times a question's been asked :) That's probably what keeps us newbies coming back. I can't believe how much I've learned from this site and I am waaaaay better prepared for my next cruise. The 1st cruise wasn't so hot, but only because I was so unprepared....esp because I didn't use seasick meds BEFORE cruising, and I packed totally wrong lol I packed for the tropics only to find myself freezing on the ship the entire trip lol

True. When I first started reading CC, it completely changed the quality of our cruises. I've learned a ton here as well. I agree there are snarky people everywhere. I'm sure there are more than I'm aware of on the NCL board; I've just been fortunate to have not run into too many yet. :D

Wait....did I just hear you say that people on this board jump in and bash, don't even read the threads, and (later) you say that we are snarky? You are talking that way about us? Have you considered the assumptions you are making about us and the names you are calling us?

ROTFL. Yes, I said some people on this board jump in and bash. Hmmm, my "assumptions" are based on 9 years of experience and I didn't call you anything. I said I don't understand when people jump in and bash--didn't say they do it all the time and didn't say everyone does it. My observation is that we have more "snarky" people on the Carnival board than I've seen on other boards. Oh, let me correct that, lest I call anyone names. We have more "snarkiness." ;) Though I don't recall every post I've made over the last nine years, I don't believe I've been mean or snarky to anyone. I don't hide behind an anonymous user name to say whatever I want on a message board. :p

Nope, didn't even look at the cost on their website. Saw the 2 day cruise listed and called the (800) number. I didn't book the cruise on-line, never do. It may not have even been on Carnival's website that I first saw it. I am signed up for a lot of cruise sites (that can't be mentioned here).

My granddaughter is 11 and has wanted to go on a cruise with me since she was 3. I've been watching for a short cruise, maybe even a 1 day cruise to nowhere to take her on. So when I spotted that 2 day cruise on Carnival, I jumped on the phone right away.

Unfortunately her Father decided to walk out two weeks ago, so with no passport, no way to get signatures on release forms, etc., the cruise out of the Country isn't going to happen.

And as another poster stated, "sometimes it is better" to just take things as they come.

Thanks for all the comments, but I really am not interested in cruising with Carnival, and really only wanted let other newbies know about "Early Saver".

Hope everyone enjoys their travels.

I LOVE EARLY SAVER!!! Used it on both my cruises and on two planned! Im a newbie. Can't really blame Carnival for your own lack of research... I mean seriously?! Even with options available you just wanna be stubborn? Ok...

Ya really gotta ask more questions when booking over the phone or read the fine print when booking on your own... I personally think Early Saver is awesome but I also go into it with my eyes wide open. Sorry you had to cancel...

Archived