Beware of what carnival calls "early saver"

agabbymama

Just a word of caution to beware of what Carnival calls their "Early Saver" booking. I called Carnival to book a short 2 day cruise for my granddaughter and myself for December 2011. I was not informed I was purchasing "Early Saver", made a $200 deposit. I was not informed that deposit was non-refundable and non-transferable.

I now find I have to cancel the cruise, so I've just lost that $200 deposit.

That's the last $$ Carnival will see from me.

Happy travels to all.:(

Just a word of caution to beware of what Carnival calls their "Early Saver" booking. I called Carnival to book a short 2 day cruise for my granddaughter and myself for December 2011. I was not informed I was purchasing "Early Saver", made a $200 deposit. I was not informed that deposit was non-refundable and non-transferable.

That's a shame that you did not know. Did you book directly or through a TA?

Even after 11 CCL cruises, my PVP always reminds me of the early saver rules when I book.

I've always booked my cruises via phone through Carnival and have always been told this up front. Also, this is very clear on their website. I am sorry you lost your $$, but sounds like you should have done a little more research before booking your cruise. Anyone familar with Carnival and early saver, is fully aware this deposit is non-refundable.

I've had to cancel two early saver cruises.....out of my 500 dollars worth if deposit (250 pp) I lost 100 ( 50 pp svc charge) and was able to use the remanding 400 on a future cruise. All may not be lost.

Can't you pay $50 per person to change the dates of your cruise to another cruise in the future. I booked a cruise last year early saver for a December cruise. We couldn't go then so we paid $50 per person and had it changed to a date we could go. So we did not lose our deposit.

Nope, didn't know that. I don't usually cruise Carnival, and certainly won't in the future.

I booked directly with Carnival and the PVP or rep or whatever they call themselves did not tell me I was even booking "Early Saver".

Won't make that mistake again, and just making sure other NEW Carnival cruisers are aware of it.

Nice marketing ploy by Carnival. I don't believe Celebrity, HAL, Princess, or NCL has such a thing, or if they do, I'm not aware of it.

But I will certainly RESEARCH more before I book another cruise.

I love Early Saver! I had to switch to the Elation from the Dream (BIG DIFFERENCE!!!) to be able to book Early Saver for my upcoming cruise! Long story but Early saver deadline is 5 months before for 7 day cruises and for 5 day cruises are 3 months.

At this point I only book! My 7 day Dream last year I switched sail dates twice (paid the $50 pp fee twice). But no complaints!

If your cruise is in December, you didn't lose your deposit. You just need to pay the $50 change fee to move to a different cruise.

I have seen on Orbitz and other travel websites ES prices without saying it was ES but it does give the rules. Carnival's website clearly says ES rate.

you can apply the deposit to another cruise minus a $50 fee.

Maybe I could have, I wasn't told that either.

Don't think I want to be involved with Carnival at all now, this leaves a bad taste and a cruise with them now wouldn't be enjoyable anyway.

Heck I had to make our TA book the early saver rate , he kept wanting to book us through some dumb promo they were running which got us OBC he was so happy gave me the price . I was like NO book ES it will save like $500 , the only reason I used this TA is we won some travel money through a raffle , he was like but but , I said yes I know the rules just do it. :)

I thought the very same thing....I didn't see her number of postings until after I posted my response.

What in the World does 5000 posts have to do with anything?

I don't usually cruise with Carnival, since my very first cruise in 1988 or 1989. I found the cruise on Carnival website and called their (800) number to book. The original rep didn't tell me I was booking "Early Saver" and the deposit was non-refundable.

When I just called this morning to cancel, that rep did not tell me I could book another cruise for $50 and not lose that deposit.

As a matter of fact, he said "IT IS NON-TRANSFERABLE AND NON-REFUNDABLE.

I am sorry you had a bad customer service experience. It is truly frustrating when you are depending on experts to actually know what they are talking about. Please do consider rebooking so you don't lose your entire deposit.

Maybe I could have, I wasn't told that either.

Don't think I want to be involved with Carnival at all now, this leaves a bad taste and a cruise with them now wouldn't be enjoyable anyway.

I think you have made up your mind so anything said here is not going to help. I really don't think they tried to trick you. I think they were probably tring to get you the best price. I do not use PVP's I use a TA so I don't know how they work. Can you still call Carnival and get it straighten out or is it too late? If you still can...you should.

What in the World does 5000 posts have to do with anything?

I don't usually cruise with Carnival, since my very first cruise in 1988 or 1989. I found the cruise on Carnival website and called their (800) number to book. The original rep didn't tell me I was booking "Early Saver" and the deposit was non-refundable.

When I just called this morning to cancel, that rep did not tell me I could book another cruise for $50 and not lose that deposit.

Did you not read the fine print about early saver when you saw it on their website?

What he said is true. It is Non-transferable (can't change name) and it is Non-refundable (you won't get it back if cancel). However, you can apply your deposit to another cruise booking, minus the $50 per person fee.

I know you said you don't want anything to do with Carnival now. But personally I would call and book a cheap, short cruise so I wouldn't lose the full deposit.

Maggie

#1-get off this thread, and call Carnival, move your two day cruise to another cruise, and when you call them, immediately ask for a supervisor. If they ask why, state that you have received unsatisfactory information from the representatives that you have worked with. Keep it simple and direct. State what the problem is and what you want out of it, don't leave it hanging... and never judge a cruise or a cruise line from one thing.

Heck, I had to pay a 50 exchange fee, and never knew why, and it was because I had booked ES, and didn't know it. But you know, I know of no other business that lets you off the hook without some kind of fee to do an exchange. It covers the fees of all the work that several people have to do, because 1 person changes their schedule. Please, just rebook another cruise, and enjoy yourself. Sail Happy!

Im surprised that someone with 5000 posts on CC was not aware of the ES rules as not a day goes by that someone doesnt start or bump up a thread on ES.

ES has bite me too. Usually only costs $50 to cancel .. and they hold the rest for another cruise .. are you sure you lost your entire deposit .. as that would only happen if you are past final payment.

Did you not read the fine print about early saver when you saw it on their website?

Nope, didn't even look at the cost on their website. Saw the 2 day cruise listed and called the (800) number. I didn't book the cruise on-line, never do. It may not have even been on Carnival's website that I first saw it. I am signed up for a lot of cruise sites (that can't be mentioned here).

My granddaughter is 11 and has wanted to go on a cruise with me since she was 3. I've been watching for a short cruise, maybe even a 1 day cruise to nowhere to take her on. So when I spotted that 2 day cruise on Carnival, I jumped on the phone right away.

Unfortunately her Father decided to walk out two weeks ago, so with no passport, no way to get signatures on release forms, etc., the cruise out of the Country isn't going to happen.

And as another poster stated, "sometimes it is better" to just take things as they come.

Thanks for all the comments, but I really am not interested in cruising with Carnival, and really only wanted let other newbies know about "Early Saver".

Hope everyone enjoys their travels.

Nope, didn't even look at the cost on their website. Saw the 2 day cruise listed and called the (800) number. I didn't book the cruise on-line, never do. It may not have even been on Carnival's website that I first saw it. I am signed up for a lot of cruise sites (that can't be mentioned here).

My granddaughter is 11 and has wanted to go on a cruise with me since she was 3. I've been watching for a short cruise, maybe even a 1 day cruise to nowhere to take her on. So when I spotted that 2 day cruise on Carnival, I jumped on the phone right away.

Unfortunately her Father decided to walk out two weeks ago, so with no passport, no way to get signatures on release forms, etc., the cruise out of the Country isn't going to happen.

And as another poster stated, "sometimes it is better" to just take things as they come.

Thanks for all the comments, but I really am not interested in cruising with Carnival, and really only wanted let other newbies know about "Early Saver".

Hope everyone enjoys their travels.

I believe there are ways to get a passport even with the father out of the picture. I think there is some sort of affadavit the mother can sign that says the father can't be found or something like that. I haven't been in this situation so don't know all the particulars, but I have read about it many times here on Cruise Critic. You can maybe look into this so you wouldn't lose all your money.

Maggie

Archived