Beware of what carnival calls "early saver"

agabbymama

This is an old thread that has resurfaced. I'm a fan of ES, but either way...who would book a cruise without at least asking, "What happens if I cancel?"

my fault, :o

was skimming through posts and I read this and didn't realize how old it was. :p

I just want to thank you for the original post because sometimes things do get overlooked. The carnival rep should of told you and bottom line they did not regardless of what you should or should not know. Posts like yours informs others! So thanks for the tip!

I understand your frusration, and in a few days maybe you will realize that what many are saying is this...YOU HAVE 150 dollars to still apply to a future cruise...No matter how upset you are now....find a nice Carnival cruise in the future and use the $150 towards that.

None of us can believe you would consider literally throwing that away.

Just a thought..if the adverisement you saw was for a "starting from" price, and you told the agent that is what you wanted..it is possible that is what you got..lowest price=early saver.

Please give yourself a few days and then reconsider..

Could you have someone buy it from you and pay $50 name change?

You may be on to something....I wonder what the filing fee is for going to court to change one's name? It would be worth it for SOMEONE to get to use the money towards a cruise!!

You may be on to something....I wonder what the filing fee is for going to court to change one's name? It would be worth it for SOMEONE to get to use the money towards a cruise!!

And the fees for changing DL & passport. And the hassle of changing credit cards, SS card, utilities, mortgage, banking, work data, etc... Ask women who have gotten married or divorced restoring maiden name how long it takes to change everything. Not fun. Not fun at all. Not worth it.

And the fees for changing DL & passport. And the hassle of changing credit cards, SS card, utilities, mortgage, banking, work data, etc... Ask women who have gotten married or divorced restoring maiden name how long it takes to change everything. Not fun. Not fun at all. Not worth it.

But come on, it's for a CRUISE!! Wouldn't that be worth it?

Anyway, I was JK ;) I have actually changed my name a few times and legally changed the names of my three adopted daughters, and I am all too familiar with the process. But still, I keep thinking, ANYTHING for another cruise....:D

• 7 months later...
I am sorry you had a bad customer service experience. It is truly frustrating when you are depending on experts to actually know what they are talking about. Please do consider rebooking so you don't lose your entire deposit.

One question, in this case, if she rebooked, does it still have to be the same exact 2 people to have the deposit transferred?:confused:

You didn't ask them what option you were booking before you made the deposit?

Just a word of caution to beware of what Carnival calls their "Early Saver" booking. I called Carnival to book a short 2 day cruise for my granddaughter and myself for December 2011. I was not informed I was purchasing "Early Saver", made a $200 deposit. I was not informed that deposit was non-refundable and non-transferable.

I now find I have to cancel the cruise, so I've just lost that $200 deposit.

That's the last $$ Carnival will see from me.

Happy travels to all.:(

Just a word of caution to beware of what Carnival calls their "Early Saver" booking. I called Carnival to book a short 2 day cruise for my granddaughter and myself for December 2011. I was not informed I was purchasing "Early Saver", made a $200 deposit. I was not informed that deposit was non-refundable and non-transferable.

You are cruising in December 2011? :confused: :D :confused: :D Hope you work it out.

You are cruising in December 2011? :confused: :D :confused: :D Hope you work it out.

If you check the date that the complaint was originally posted, then yes, they were to cruise in 2011. Vampire post again.

You didn't ask them what option you were booking before you made the deposit?

You do know that this thread is a year old, right?

I think im4golf was just looking for an answer about transferability without creating an entirely new thread.

I realize this is a very old post that got bumped today, but since I'm about to book an early saver for my family of 4, I was very interested in the thread.

Can anyone tell me if the cruise insurance would change the non-refundable deposit if you have to cancel or can it only be transferred to a new cruise? My husband's job is such that we never know if something may come up last minute and he has to cancel, so we always get the insurance. Would it be better to book the past guest rate instead?

I think im4golf was just looking for an answer about transferability without creating an entirely new thread.

Sometimes old threads have important enough information that us newbies are glad to see it bumped. I wasn't around CC when the thread was origionally posted. And while I think the OP should have done more research and shouldn't blame Carnival.....that research is EXACTLY what *I* am doing so this info is good to know ;)

I realize this is a very old post that got bumped today, but since I'm about to book an early saver for my family of 4, I was very interested in the thread.

Can anyone tell me if the cruise insurance would change the non-refundable deposit if you have to cancel or can it only be transferred to a new cruise? My husband's job is such that we never know if something may come up last minute and he has to cancel, so we always get the insurance. Would it be better to book the past guest rate instead?

I think that would depend on the terms of your insurance. I know when I was choosing trip insurance this last time, there was an optional rider that could be added for "cancel for job reasons". So I would check on the policy terms and go by that.

It is too bad the OP had such a lousy experience with ES. We love the ES program and everything was explained to me the first cruise we took in 2010. I can't say I did that much research but I was well aware of how the program worked even though I really didn't know anything about cruises in Sep 2009 when I booked our first cruise. I suppose one problem may be that OP doesn't usually cruise on Carnival--and the other lines don't have this program. Fortunately it seems most of us who regularly cruise Carnival know how the program works--and there are 100s of posts here about ES to help new Carnival cruisers. :)

(Not sure how such an old post made it back in circulation when there are so many ES posts here):confused:

I called Carnival, got a PVP, and booked ES. He explained EVERYTHING to me. :)

No, sorry I didn't until after. I got carried away looking for info. lol:)

Archived