Beware of what carnival calls "early saver"

agabbymama

Nope, didn't even look at the cost on their website. Saw the 2 day cruise listed and called the (800) number. I didn't book the cruise on-line, never do. It may not have even been on Carnival's website that I first saw it. I am signed up for a lot of cruise sites (that can't be mentioned here).

My granddaughter is 11 and has wanted to go on a cruise with me since she was 3. I've been watching for a short cruise, maybe even a 1 day cruise to nowhere to take her on. So when I spotted that 2 day cruise on Carnival, I jumped on the phone right away.

Unfortunately her Father decided to walk out two weeks ago, so with no passport, no way to get signatures on release forms, etc., the cruise out of the Country isn't going to happen.

And as another poster stated, "sometimes it is better" to just take things as they come.

Thanks for all the comments, but I really am not interested in cruising with Carnival, and really only wanted let other newbies know about "Early Saver".

Hope everyone enjoys their travels.

Enough said. She has made up her mind.

Note to all - read all the fine print.

What in the World does 5000 posts have to do with anything?

I don't usually cruise with Carnival, since my very first cruise in 1988 or 1989. I found the cruise on Carnival website and called their (800) number to book. The original rep didn't tell me I was booking "Early Saver" and the deposit was non-refundable.

When I just called this morning to cancel, that rep did not tell me I could book another cruise for $50 and not lose that deposit.

As a matter of fact, he said "IT IS NON-TRANSFERABLE AND NON-REFUNDABLE.

Dispute the charge with you CC company. I think if your were not advised of the rules and restrictions at the time of purchase they shouldn't be able to keep your money plain and simple.

Over 5000 posts on here and didn't know that?:rolleyes:

Perhaps he isn't a Carnival board troll?? There are LOTS AND LOTS of other sections to cruise critic other then just the Carnival board. Just sayin..

Dispute the charge with you CC company. I think if your were not advised of the rules and restrictions at the time of purchase they shouldn't be able to keep your money plain and simple.

I think this advice is very good, IF the reservation was made within a couple of days of the cancellation. Mainly because Carnival does put the cancellation/refund policy in the confirmation that they email you. So if she had time to get the fine print and read it, and did not immediately protest then she probably technically accepted the terms of the booking.

Op, you are ignoring that Early Saver is different policy that CCL uses to offere discounted cruises. CCL does offer all the categories of booking that the other lines have with cancellation terms similar to theirs. ES is an added categorty that saves alot of money for those who love it. Including price drop matching after final payment which the lines you mention do not do. Good luck in the future.

Just a word of caution to beware of what Carnival calls their "Early Saver" booking. I called Carnival to book a short 2 day cruise for my granddaughter and myself for December 2011. I was not informed I was purchasing "Early Saver", made a $200 deposit. I was not informed that deposit was non-refundable and non-transferable.

I now find I have to cancel the cruise, so I've just lost that $200 deposit.

That's the last $$ Carnival will see from me.

Happy travels to all.:(

You obvious dont read cruise critic or the carnival site. You can only blame yourself.

No matter what I'm booking that requires a deposit of any kind (whether it be a vacation or something unrelated) I ALWAYS ask what the refund policy is. Expecially these days there's always some sort of refund policy..no refund at all or no refund up to so many days, etc. So always ask so you don't get burned again. Sorry that happened to you.:(

#1-get off this thread, and call Carnival, move your two day cruise to another cruise, and when you call them, immediately ask for a supervisor. If they ask why, state that you have received unsatisfactory information from the representatives that you have worked with. Keep it simple and direct. State what the problem is and what you want out of it, don't leave it hanging... and never judge a cruise or a cruise line from one thing.

Heck, I had to pay a 50 exchange fee, and never knew why, and it was because I had booked ES, and didn't know it. But you know, I know of no other business that lets you off the hook without some kind of fee to do an exchange. It covers the fees of all the work that several people have to do, because 1 person changes their schedule. Please, just rebook another cruise, and enjoy yourself. Sail Happy!

----

Good advice!

Every time I have booked with Early Saver the person I talked to explained in detail the cost of canceling the cruise. Only $50 per passenger and the rest will be held as credit to be used on another cruise. That is not bad since Early Saver is usually $100 per passenger less than the next best rate. I’ll book Early saver every chance I get.

Not trying to bash the OP honest I am not but I think there was a case here of selective hearing. Before we booked our trip I called Carnival several times. Every time I was given ES rates and everytime these rates and penalties to cancel were explained. I was also given prices for past guest.

I am sorry the OP had this experience but she should have a credit to use on a future cruise but by the sounds of it, she would rather lose the deposit then be subjected to Carnival.

No matter what I'm booking that requires a deposit of any kind (whether it be a vacation or something unrelated) I ALWAYS ask what the refund policy is. Expecially these days there's always some sort of refund policy..no refund at all or no refund up to so many days, etc. So always ask so you don't get burned again. Sorry that happened to you.:(

I'm not one to jump into these "discussions", and your comments are the most direct and make the most sense. I'm surprised the PVP or whoever did not inform this person of the cancelation policy, but yea, I'm like you, I never make any advanced reservations or anything requiring a deposit without knowing up front what the cancellation policy is, even without the company asking. But of course, that's the fault of the company in question.

I'm not one to jump into these "discussions", and your comments are the most direct and make the most sense. I'm surprised the PVP or whoever did not inform this person of the cancelation policy, but yea, I'm like you, I never make any advanced reservations or anything requiring a deposit without knowing up front what the cancellation policy is, even without the company asking. But of course, that's not my fault.

Not trying to bash the OP honest I am not but I think there was a case here of selective hearing. Before we booked our trip I called Carnival several times. Every time I was given ES rates and everytime these rates and penalties to cancel were explained. I was also given prices for past guest.

I am sorry the OP had this experience but she should have a credit to use on a future cruise but by the sounds of it, she would rather lose the deposit then be subjected to Carnival.

Not taking it as bashing, you may have had better luck than I did with the agents you spoke to. I was not told I was getting "early saver" rate and that it would be non-refundable. IT IS MY FAULT THAT I ASSUMED I could cancel up until final payment in October. I did not specifically ask, I've cruised 7 times and never heard of this "early saver" before.

That said, I wasn't given the option to book a different cruise. The second rep I just spoke to this morning to cancel only said that "early saver is non-refundable and non-transferable". DID NOT ask if I wanted to book another cruise and only lose $50. Folks on this board have been a lot more informative than either of the reps at Carnival.

So yes, you are correct, after two bad experiences, I'd rather lose the $200 than deal with Carnival again. First one, shame on you. Second one shame on me. Ain't happening a third time.

You can still get $150 pp back so why not use it later on? I understand your frustration but you booked at a lower rate than you would have otherwise received. The other cruise lines may not even have these types of discounts. On the flip side, if you had booked and the price dropped later on, you would have been entitled to an OBC for the difference under the Early Saver pricing.

On another note- you said you called because you saw the price online. Did you call the 1-800 number and ask to book that specific cruise at that specific price? If so, only you are to blame. The PVP was only booking you under the price you asked him/her for. Perhaps they should have mentioned that it was an ES rate, but they probably assumed you knew that if you called them up and knew exactly what cruise you were booking and how much it was going to cost you.

Not taking it as bashing, you may have had better luck than I did with the agents you spoke to. I was not told I was getting "early saver" rate and that it would be non-refundable. IT IS MY FAULT THAT I ASSUMED I could cancel up until final payment in October. I did not specifically ask, I've cruised 7 times and never heard of this "early saver" before.

That said, I wasn't given the option to book a different cruise. The second rep I just spoke to this morning to cancel only said that "early saver is non-refundable and non-transferable". DID NOT ask if I wanted to book another cruise and only lose $50. Folks on this board have been a lot more informative than either of the reps at Carnival.

So yes, you are correct, after two bad experiences, I'd rather lose the $200 than deal with Carnival again. First one, shame on you. Second one shame on me. Ain't happening a third time.

I know you've stated you are not going to deal with Carnival anymore, but I'm sure at a later date when you're not so hurt, the balance of your cancelled cruise will be there waiting for you until the deadline date. So just in that one in a million chance you might wanna try again, there ya go.

• 3 months later...
Maybe I could have, I wasn't told that either.

Don't think I want to be involved with Carnival at all now, this leaves a bad taste and a cruise with them now wouldn't be enjoyable anyway.

Well, if you don't book another carnival cruise in lieu of this one, you WILL have really lost all your money. Right now, you have options. If you choose not to rebook, then that's your decision to loose your entire deposit.

Did you ask Carnival what the early saver was and why you were getting such a great rate when you booked. If they let everyone chage there minds after booking early saver what is the point in early saver.

I am not sure why you are upset?

In defense of the OP, before the days of ES, all rates got price drops up until the cruise sailed in the past. ALL rates.

People who dont cruise a lot dont know that carnival quit giving price drops and only ES with all the rules gets price drops or the terms if they dont follow carnival closely. I know most of us perferred how Carnival used to do it .. before ES... and ES is no bargain. It was higher rates than I had paid before ES was introduced. You used to be able to get a great past guest price up to a year out and other rates that were better than when they introduce ES. People now say ES is a bargain because they are only comparing it to the other rates now offered.

Carnival is laughing all the way to the bank as Im sure a lot of ES people have forfeited deposits and $50 fees .. lots of things happen in life, and expecting to book and never have to change, odds are some will need changes and Carnival just grabs all those fees on the way to bank them. It is how it is .. but Im not a ES fan, even though I do have ES fare booked on Triumph, but sure didnt book it way in advance like I used to book.

Maybe I could have, I wasn't told that either.

Don't think I want to be involved with Carnival at all now, this leaves a bad taste and a cruise with them now wouldn't be enjoyable anyway.

Early saver has its pros and cons-mostly pros. You get every price discount in your catagory of cabin that you booked up to 2 days before you cruise-excluding pack N Go rates-they don't qualify. So, by watching your fare, you can aquire a lot of OBC. the one big con is cancellation policy-you do lose $50 for each booking. Sorry you didn't understand the rules.

Pat

Archived