Are children allowed at the Chef's table?

Our 13 yr old daughter did it with us in March on the Fantasy, she ate everything, and they offered her specialty drinks, and Ginger ale for toasting... keep in mind it was 4 hours long....

The Chef's Table was a major highlight of our cruise. If your daughter is well behaved and would enjoy the food I would bring her.

I wish we could bring our son but he is only 6 and has an very short attention span. Mine is not much longer than his but the tour, the food, and the chef's explanations kept my interest for the whole event.

No offense to people who took their children but...

If I was dropping that amount of cash and someone brought a child who was obviously "being a kid" I would leave and get my money back.

People on cruises seem to loose all common sense, kids in the Spa lockers rooms, kids on the funnel deck (yes, I have seen it numerous times and the parents where with them!!!)... I have no problem if they where in Adult "preferred only" locations/events but where behaved but time and time again the little monsters appear (more so after the chocolate buffet!)

If I was dropping that amount of cash and someone brought a child who was obviously "being a kid" I would leave and get my money back.

People on cruises seem to loose all common sense, kids in the Spa lockers rooms, kids on the funnel deck (yes, I have seen it numerous times and the parents where with them!!!)... I have no problem if they where in Adult "preferred only" locations/events but where behaved but time and time again the little monsters appear (more so after the chocolate buffet!)

Isnt the funnel deck where mini golf is located?

I have an 11 year old daughter and am interested in the Chef's table. Would she be allowed to dine, or is it just for adults?

I would have to agree that, if the child is extremely well behaved, it might work. But quite frankly, given the adult nature of the event (explaining all the dishes as they go along, etc), I can't fathom a child would be interested it for the long duration it takes to complete it. In addition, please note that there is free wine with the meal. I noticed that, the longer the wine pouring went on, the more relaxed the adult diners became and as is typical, voices raised and the jokes got more crude. As an adult, I had a blast, but not so sure an 11 year old would necessary think it was all that.

It's your child, if you want to take her, feel free. Just know that this is geared towards adults and your daughter may be bored out of her mind. Especially given the long duration.

So now kids are monsters?? OP we took our 10 year old and it was great, except for the 45 year old drunk man that couldn't stop talking and burping. Talk about misbehaving. I find the 30-50 year old range are worse than kids and can't hold their liquor and talk way to much and way to loud. It's time for more areas where 30-50 years old aren't alowwed.;)

Does it make me anti-kid if I tell you that I'll happily sit beside your child in the buffet and/or the main dining room, carry on a lively conversation about their school, books, what they've seen and done on their cruise vacation....... and I will enjoy their company.....

but please don't bring them to the Chef's Table. A 45 minute tour of the galley, including appetizers and champagne, wine with dinner, 20 minutes at a minimum between courses with each course being explained and fete'd. Any child is going to get restless and bored.

The Chef's Table is adult oriented. Please have consideration for your child and the other patrons of the Chef's Table.

4 Hours of continuous eating!?!?!? Wow!! That is the difference between those who live to eat and eat to live.

It's not 4 hours of continuous eating. There are 15-20 minute breaks between courses and the courses are small--like a tasting menu if you've ever done one of those. It truly is a gourmet experience that I'm very glad I did. Probably won't do it again for $75pp but that once was awesome :)

I can't figure out why you would want to pay $75 for dinner for an 11 year old. Aren't most kids happy with hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza?

Even if your kid is a foodie, save the money and take them to the Steak House and save a bunch of money. Some of the entrees at the Chef's Table are the same as the Steak House, like the Filet Mignon and the Sea Bass. The Chef's Table, IMHO, was set up to be an adult experience.

I only wish my girls were not 'child-like-eaters' when they were 11. If their palates were more mature, they'd have enjoyed the Chef's Table and I would have taken them...As it was, at 14 my youngest was still asking for chicken nuggets in the mdr. :rolleyes:

Hell, when we did the Captains Dinner on NCL (which is their version of the Chef's Table) and they put the Foie Gras in front of my MIL...I knew immediately when she asked, "What's this?" and someone told her, that she'd have a similar reaction to a kid.....

*shakeshead*

If your 11 year old loves to be adventurous when eating, I say bring her and ignore the people here who think she doesn't belong because the simple fact is there are NO age restrictions. The Chef's Table is not just for adults.

Long gone are the days when CCL and cruising in general was meant for adults. Yeah, I liked it better then too, but those days are obviously over...and let's be real, this is CCL we are talking about. Even IF there WAS an age restriction, it ain't like they'd enforce it :rolleyes:

For us, the Chef's table didn't last 4 hours, but it was definitely as long as 3....and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was awesome :)

I only wish my girls were not 'child-like-eaters' when they were 11. If their palates were more mature, they'd have enjoyed the Chef's Table and I would have taken them...As it was, at 14 my youngest was still asking for chicken nuggets in the mdr. :rolleyes:

Hell, when we did the Captains Dinner on NCL (which is their version of the Chef's Table) and they put the Foie Gras in front of my MIL...I knew immediately when she asked, "What's this?" and someone told her, that she'd have a similar reaction to a kid.....

*shakeshead*

If your 11 year old loves to be advenurous when eating, I say bring her and ignore the people here who think she doesn't belong because the simple fact is there are NO age restrictions. The Chef's Table is not just for adults.

Long gone are the days when CCL and cruising in general was meant for adults. Yeah, I liked it better then too, but those days are obviously over...and let's be real, this is CCL we are talking about. Even IF there WAS an age restriction, it ain't like they'd enforce it :rolleyes:

For us, the Chef's table didn't last 4 hours, but it was definitely as long as 3....and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was awesome :)

It wouldn't be the adult's reaction to the children that worried me, it'd be the kid's reaction to the adults. For example, on our Chef's Table on the Miracle, early in the meal we were all fairly reserved and quiet-ish, getting to know each other. By the time dinner was over, and MANY bottles of wine had been consumed, we were all laughing loudly, the men were making several crude jokes, funny, but certainly NOT a place I'd want my child. I think if the OP goes into this understanding that, for the most part, this is an adult venue and she/he might be exposed to what happens to adults who have had many bottles of wine she will be ok. Speaking only for myself, this is precisely why I would NOT take my child to the CT. I do not think that adults should have to censor themselves just because a child was present--and also know that many would not. Either way, it's lose/lose when a child is present. The adults can't relax and truly enjoy the evening, and the child may be exposed to way more than mom or dad intended.

I would give a full description of the Chef's table experience and let the child make the choice.

Would you rather have us spend $75 for you to eat at the chef's table with us, or would you rather eat at the grill that night and have us give you the $75 to spend on something else?

I do not think that adults should have to censor themselves just because a child was present--and also know that many would not. Either way, it's lose/lose when a child is present. The adults can't relax and truly enjoy the evening, and the child may be exposed to way more than mom or dad intended.

Very well said. Last year, our group got reprimanded at the Piano Bar for being too rowdy in the presence of a 10 year old.

Question #1 Why was a 10 year old there?

Question #2 Some piano bars allow smoking. Why would her parents subject her to that? Where was the logic in that decision.

I loved my son's but there were aspects of my life I did not feel they needed to be involved in.

. For example, on our Chef's Table on the Miracle, early in the meal we were all fairly reserved and quiet-ish, getting to know each other. By the time dinner was over, and MANY bottles of wine had been consumed, we were all laughing loudly, the men were making several crude jokes, funny, but certainly NOT a place I'd want my child. .

Doesn't that basically describe the whole cruise? :p

I'm not trying to be snarky, just realistic. Personally (for ME) I don't see the appeal of bringing a young child on a cruise in the first place because of the reasons you stated...but partying/drinking adults are all around the ship, not just at the Chef's Table.

Trust me...if they had adults only cruises, I'd BOOK it immediately...but cruises, especially CCL, and RCI are totally family oriented now. And since there is no age restriction, there really is no debate. It's what CCL wants. The OP wanted to know if she can bring her DD and the answer is yes.

Very well said. Last year, our group got reprimanded at the Piano Bar for being too rowdy in the presence of a 10 year old.

May I ask who reprimanded you??

Doesn't that basically describe the whole cruise? :p

I'm not trying to be snarky, just realistic. Personally (for ME) I don't see the appeal of bringing a young child on a cruise in the first place because of the reasons you stated...but partying/drinking adults are all around the ship, not just at the Chef's Table.

Trust me...if they had adults only cruises, I'd BOOK it immediately...but cruises, especially CCL, and RCI are totally family oriented now. And since there is no age restriction, there really is no debate. It's what CCL wants. The OP wanted to know if she can bring her DD and the answer is yes.

May I ask who reprimanded you??

The difference I see, Halos, is that if you are on say, the Lido deck, and a group of people begins to get in a loud and obnoxious way, you can remove yourself and the child from that situation. The Chef's Table is a captive audience. I would not want to pay $75 for dinner, only to have to remove myself and my child because a group of adults were acting like adults act when a lot of wine has been consumed. I don't think that's comparing apples to apples. Just my $.02

The difference I see, Halos, is that if you are on say, the Lido deck, and a group of people begins to get in a loud and obnoxious way, you can remove yourself and the child from that situation. The Chef's Table is a captive audience. I would not want to pay $75 for dinner, only to have to remove myself and my child because a group of adults were acting like adults act when a lot of wine has been consumed. I don't think that's comparing apples to apples. Just my $.02

That's very true, but none of it matters. She asked if the 11 year old is allowed, and she is.

That's very true, but none of it matters. She asked if the 11 year old is allowed, and she is.

Oh I realize that....I just know that if I was someone who was not terribly familiar with the Chef's Table and what to expect (it's not JUST a fancy meal), I would be very grateful to those who gave me more information than just yes, or no. Yes, in this case, is really broad given the nature of the CT.

Oh I realize that....I just know that if I was someone who was not terribly familiar with the Chef's Table and what to expect (it's not JUST a fancy meal), I would be very grateful to those who gave me more information than just yes, or no. Yes, in this case, is really broad given the nature of the CT.

You never know what kind of a table you'll wind up with. If you wind up on a ship with more a majority of the horribly 'stereotypical' CCL cruiser then you may have a bunch of loud obnoxious people at the Chef's Table, downing all the wine like it's water because it is included in the $75 charge....:rolleyes: Or, it could be a fabulous group..you just never know.

The Op could have a kid who would really enjoy this 'more than fancy meal' (I personally think a kid would enjoy this more than the steak house...at our Chef's Table, they sent in a magician. What kid wouldn't love that? The kid in me did :D)

I think for a kid with adventurous eating habits, this would be a tremendous experience. For the average kid...the one who can't sit that long and might be bored out of their skull, this would be a nightmare.

If there are kids out there that would enjoy this, I say BRAVO to the parents...so many out there can't sit and have conversation...can only be happy with their electronics. If I had an 11 year old at the Chef's Table while I was there and they were enjoying the experience and joining in the conversation with the chef, I would really enjoy dining with them.

Archived