Liberty of the Seas, 5 night Western Med journal, review and photos, very long!

A couple of other things that may be of interest.

In general the ‘drink of the day’ was around $6 plus gratuity and tax ($7.38 total).

The drinks of the day included:

Mango Mai Tai (Cruzan Mango Rum with tropical juices and Amaretto)

Sex on the Beach (Vodka & Peach Schnapps with Pineapple and Cranberry Juice)

Tequila Sunrise (Tequila, Orange Juice & Grenadine)

Lynchberg Lemonade (Jack Daniels, Triple Sec & Lemonade)

Sunburst Splash (Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Strawberry sweet & sour, Soda)

There was a 20% discount on Martini’s every evening in the Olive or Twist bar in the Viking Crown, deck 14 between the hours of 5:30 – 7:30 pm.

5742871894_922789a805_o.jpg

As you can see as the cover charges for Chops, Portofino and Johnny Rockets include gratuity the only extra is tax. Strange they didn't charge gratuity at the Cupcake Cupboard either.

A couple of other things that may be of interest.

In general the ‘drink of the day’ was around $6 plus gratuity and tax ($7.38 total).

The drinks of the day included:

Mango Mai Tai (Cruzan Mango Rum with tropical juices and Amaretto)

Sex on the Beach (Vodka & Peach Schnapps with Pineapple and Cranberry Juice)

Tequila Sunrise (Tequila, Orange Juice & Grenadine)

Lynchberg Lemonade (Jack Daniels, Triple Sec & Lemonade)

Sunburst Splash (Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Strawberry sweet & sour, Soda)

There was a 20% discount on Martini’s every evening in the Olive or Twist bar in the Viking Crown, deck 14 between the hours of 5:30 – 7:30 pm.

5742871894_922789a805_o.jpg

As you can see as the cover charges for Chops, Portofino and Johnny Rockets include gratuity the only extra is tax. Strange they didn't charge gratuity at the Cupcake Cupboard either.

Great that you posted all this (to post the drink of the day was a great idea, I was planning to do similar)!

And I also thank Jesus, Allah and Buddha (for the record I don’t believe in any ;) ) that I missed the Uro-song 2011 :D, its lost it touch ages ago and became one big laugh ;)

May I ask how many bags you two had, that you decided not to leave it to RCI to unload them and did a DIY?

Sounds like a hassle to me…Unless I unload my DW somewhere mid cruise over the railing ;)

Greets

Great review and the pictures, really enjoying it! :) Thank you!

Edit:

Is it possible that you could post picture of a good old Sovereign of the Seas here. She was one of my favourite ship when she was sailing out from the Port Canaveral. Thank you!

Great that you posted all this (to post the drink of the day was a great idea, I was planning to do similar)!

And I also thank Jesus, Allah and Buddha (for the record I don’t believe in any ;) ) that I missed the Uro-song 2011 :D, its lost it touch ages ago and became one big laugh ;)

May I ask how many bags you two had, that you decided not to leave it to RCI to unload them and did a DIY?

Sounds like a hassle to me…Unless I unload my DW somewhere mid cruise over the railing ;)

Greets

LOL regarding Eurovision!

As for bags, we had 1 each as it was only a 5 night sailing we didn't need anymore and they fit through the scanner no problem.

A lady did try and get us to leave them with the porters, but I politely declined. Mine only weighed 15KGS anyway. A lot of people took their own bags on and off from what I saw and RCI seem to recognise this if you listened to the departure video. They don't care how you do it as long as you can carry them off yourself.

This is a photo of ours.

5679881563_9066d75c26_o.jpg

And it expands and as our limit for our flight to join the Liberty transatlantic in Oct is 20KGS, I'll be taking this again and making use of the laundry service on board. The cost of this would outweigh the additional baggage charges for extra kilos that airlines charge once you get over the 20KGS limit. A pair of trousers would only cost around $4 to have washed and ironed if I remember correctly, other items considerably less.

LOL regarding Eurovision!

As for bags, we had 1 each as it was only a 5 night sailing we didn't need anymore and they fit through the scanner no problem.

A lady did try and get us to leave them with the porters, but I politely declined. Mine only weighed 15KGS anyway. A lot of people took their own bags on and off from what I saw and RCI seem to recognise this if you listened to the departure video. They don't care how you do it as long as you can carry them off yourself.

This is a photo of ours.

5679881563_9066d75c26_o.jpg

And it expands and as our limit for our flight to join the Liberty transatlantic in Oct is

20KGS, I'll be taking this again and making use of the laundry service on board. The cost of this would outweigh the additional baggage charges for extra kilos that airlines charge once you get over the 20KGS limit. A pair of trousers would only cost around $4 to have washed and ironed if I remember correctly, other items considerably less.

Okidoki, I have to say I am impressed that you where able to fit everything you needed in two 15kg trolleys :D. This I have to tell the misses! :D

Thanks for the review, let’s hope we have just such a good time in 21 days! Our roll call is “dead”, so I am not counting on a lot of CruiseCritic at this time.

Greets

Great review and the pictures, really enjoying it! :) Thank you!

Edit:

Is it possible that you could post picture of a good old Sovereign of the Seas here. She was one of my favourite ship when she was sailing out from the Port Canaveral. Thank you!

Here you go as she now is for Pulmantur

5743064442_0b3fc6b733_z.jpg

5743063622_58f6e7a11a_z.jpg

5738922805_77f135d005_z.jpg

5738981681_0474e3792c_z.jpg

Thanks for all your hard work putting your review together.

What a lovely time I have had this afternoon reading everything, fantastic photos and all the information is very informative.

Looking forward to your next review on your transatlantic cruise.

Looked at every photo from the ship to see if you happen to have one of DW who also enjoyed this cruise very much.

She is not on her way back to the US 2 hrs late, so she can not make her connecetion this PM.

Pls. send us a similar review of your TA. Now, where are the Penquins?

Hi there, thanks for the kind words.

I presume you are doing a 7 night sailing, so I'm not sure the days that the shows are on will be the same as ours.

However, if they do the same as us, then you can book the shows the day you board. This was in the Sphinx Lounge, deck 5 between the hours of noon - 3:45 pm.

As for showtimes, don't forget, even though you have pre-booked your MTD reservations, you can change them once onboard, even on the day, or just even turn up when you want.

So here's an idea of times:

Ice Show 7:30 pm, 9:15 pm or 11:00 pm

Headliner Show 9:15 pm or 11:00 pm

Saturday Night Fever 7:30 pm or 9:15 pm

In the Air 7:30 pm or 9:15 pm

They do try and set the times around first and 2nd seating meal times, but that's the beauty of MTD, you can organise when it suits you.

As for Vintages, yes it is a wine bar, but only a small selection of the wines on offer are self serve. There is a great lady called Sylvia who I think is the senior server who will provide your drinks for you. She is fantastic.

If you want to self serve, you swipe your SeaPass card on the machine which contains the wine you want, pick up a glass and put it under the spout and select the size of measure you want. 1 oz, 3 oz, or 5 oz. The prices are displayed and take care, some are in excess of $150 per measure, honestly!

As Vintages is open to the Royal Promenade is doesn't have a external sea view and although I presume it will sell Champagne, but the best place for this is the Champagne Bar a little further down the Royal Promenade opposite Guest Relations, which if I remember correctly does have a sort of sea view, although this could be obstructed by the lifeboats.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks Peter. This is really helpful and the photos you've posted are great - I am sure all prospective cruisers will really appreciate them. Your Portofino dinner looks divine.

I hadn't appreciated we could play fast and lose with MTD once we'd confirmed our reservations. We opted to share a table same time each night but not at the standard dining times of 6.30-7 or after 9pm but maybe we should re-think and go for the different time each night option so we're more flexible and can hit the shows at the most appropriate times. Thanks too for the 'warning' re the $150 drinks! We do like going to the champagne bar so we know how quickly it can mount up!

Alexis

Looked at every photo from the ship to see if you happen to have one of DW who also enjoyed this cruise very much.

She is not on her way back to the US 2 hrs late, so she can not make her connecetion this PM.

Pls. send us a similar review of your TA. Now, where are the Penquins?

Sorry I didn't catch your wife in my photos, and sorry to hear she is delayed getting home.

As for the Penquins, well I'm not sure whether it's a secret, joking. I knew they were there somewhere but couldn't find them until I visited the bow of the ship and stood looking up from the helipad and my partner pointed them out.

To get the shots I had to visit the fitness centre, something I never do! And low an behold, if you are on a running machine, there they are, outside on a ledge. Such a lot of fun.

It's a bit like the large red dog looking down on the Centrum from one of the balconies near the port side rear elevators, deck 6, I think and the bull terrier on the Royal Promenade.

5739683468_273420c381_z.jpg

5739165181_e8ede3e8e4_z.jpg

5739715732_3c9b53a1cb_z.jpg

Peter - Thank you so much for the Sovereign pictures, sure appreciate! :)

I saw those Sovereign pictures on your slide show and wanted to take better look how she looks on these days. :D Thanks again! I'm truly enjoying your review! :)

Thanks for the great review - first time on RCCL and therefore Liberty of the Sea having done P&O before.

Just one question about attire....were there formal nights as well as smart casual? and also semi formal?

You mentioned the white night is this instead of and black and white night?

Again thanks for the review and brilliant pictures.

Great review and photo's! Did you ever get that upgrade you were hoping for?
No, unfortunately, but then again we did want to try an aft balcony.

Peter - Thank you so much for the Sovereign pictures, sure appreciate! :)

I saw those Sovereign pictures on your slide show and wanted to take better look how she looks on these days. :D Thanks again! I'm truly enjoying your review! :)

You are welcome.

Thanks for the great review - first time on RCCL and therefore Liberty of the Sea having done P&O before.

Just one question about attire....were there formal nights as well as smart casual? and also semi formal?

You mentioned the white night is this instead of and black and white night?

Again thanks for the review and brilliant pictures.

On the 5 night sailing there is 1 formal night (day 2) and 4 casual. There were no 'smart casual' nor semi formal. I'm not sure semi formal is anything RCI do anyway. I have only known the 3 types, Formal, Smart Casual and Casual.

White dress suggestion is only for the white party on the pool deck, I'm not familiar with black and white night, it's not a term I've seen used on RCI. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for a wonderful and detailed account of your cruise. We are getting on next Saturday for 7 nights- 5/28/11. We only had to take off 4.5 days off of work. You have given us alot of information to go through before we leave. Great Job!!

Jan

Thank you so much for the excellent review, the ship and itinerary pictures are amazing - and especially for the cabin and balcony pictures! We talked back in February; DH & I are in 9706 on Freedom of the Seas, sailing 2/26/12; this is our second cruise, first balcony cabin. Did you have much time to enjoy the balcony - would you book a balcony again on this class of ship? I can imagine us wake-watching and star-gazing...ahhhhh! :) And like other posts I've read, I think the rather long walk to mid-ship will be helpful to burn off extra calories - LOL. Thanks again!

Peter, Thank you so much for your wonderful review! and I loved all your pictures! I am so glad you enjoyed your cruise!

I can't wait for Oct to see this beautiful ship in person! Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Thanks for your compliments, glad you enjoyed them, I can't wait to get back onboard in Oct and meeting you too.

Thank you so much for a wonderful and detailed account of your cruise. We are getting on next Saturday for 7 nights- 5/28/11. We only had to take off 4.5 days off of work. You have given us alot of information to go through before we leave. Great Job!!

Jan

Glad you found it helpful and have a fantastic cruise.

Thank you so much for the excellent review, the ship and itinerary pictures are amazing - and especially for the cabin and balcony pictures! We talked back in February; DH & I are in 9706 on Freedom of the Seas, sailing 2/26/12; this is our second cruise, first balcony cabin. Did you have much time to enjoy the balcony - would you book a balcony again on this class of ship? I can imagine us wake-watching and star-gazing...ahhhhh! :) And like other posts I've read, I think the rather long walk to mid-ship will be helpful to burn off extra calories - LOL. Thanks again!
Hi again, even though it was only a 5 night sailing with 3 ports days, we had plenty of time to enjoy the balcony. In the morning (breakfast enjoyed there one day), afternoon after a port visit, after dressing for dinner, and when returning after the evenings activities. If you have several sea days, then if you want to get away from the pool decks for some peace and quiet, then an aft balcony is a definite bonus.

We always book a balcony on every sailing, I think it would be hard not to have one as we enjoy getting out there and feeling the sea breeze.

Having aft cabin means you can enjoy nights like this, stargazing as you say.

5746028136_d5b90244fa_z.jpg

To be honest, the walk from the aft centrum is not that long, it is a fair way yes, but over long IMHO and it must help to burn off some calories, not sure how many though!

Thank you so much for that review. It was fun to hear about your trip, it makes me realise that ours is not too far away.

I was interested to see the prices of the drinks. Wine seems so expensive compared to a good old g and t. The tip about the 150 glass of wine is a good warning. I think the girls have to stick to wine as they are under 21. They are not huge drinkers anyway, but could think that 150 is the code rather than the price!

I was pleased to see that the pool etc was open for your late departure, I have booked it but am not 100 per cent convinced that we should not store suitcases and go into Barcelona. Our flight is at about 7 30 pm. I was wary of booking the earlier flight. I should have just gone for it, but then again it only takes one slow engine or a sick passenger the day before and we are late back. Staying on board seems like the cheapest way of passing the day, did you feel sort of uncomfortable - like you were guests outstaying your welcome

Thank you so much for that review. It was fun to hear about your trip, it makes me realise that ours is not too far away.

I was interested to see the prices of the drinks. Wine seems so expensive compared to a good old g and t. The tip about the 150 glass of wine is a good warning. I think the girls have to stick to wine as they are under 21. They are not huge drinkers anyway, but could think that 150 is the code rather than the price!

I was pleased to see that the pool etc was open for your late departure, I have booked it but am not 100 per cent convinced that we should not store suitcases and go into Barcelona. Our flight is at about 7 30 pm. I was wary of booking the earlier flight. I should have just gone for it, but then again it only takes one slow engine or a sick passenger the day before and we are late back. Staying on board seems like the cheapest way of passing the day, did you feel sort of uncomfortable - like you were guests outstaying your welcome

Glad you enjoyed my review and hope it helped.

I can assure you that the self serve wines do include several bottles with prices in excess of $150 per measure, the highest is $168 per 5 oz measure. It is not the code, honestly. Each measure has the price against it and we checked twice and yes several bottles had prices like this, so be very careful if using self serve in Vintages!

Not sure where you can store your bags in Barcelona that doesn't involve a trek from the ship initially.

We never felt like we were outstaying our welcome. If you get your coffees, snacks etc from the Cafe Promenade, nobody wants to see your SeaPass card (which you do have to put a special sticker on from the info you get in your cabin about late departure).

Entering the Windjammer for lunch is the same as usual.

I suppose if you were to purchase drinks from the bars when they reopen at around 11:30 then this is the only time you could feel different as you would have to pay by credit card, not your Sea Pass card.

I looked on it as though I were a consecutive cruiser and just watched the newly arrived excited cruisers finding their way around. I could have been their guide!

There were several 'day guests' on board too being shown around. I assume they could be local travel agents who RCI want to show off Liberty.

Have a great cruise.

PETE......Outstanding review!!! Felt like an armchair traveler. I'm so excited about our Oct. cruise on Liberty, and meeting you and Patrick....:)
Me too, excited that is about being onboard again and meeting you too.

Thank you so much for your fantastic review and photographs, helped me relive my first cruise last month, and look forward to my next one even more :)
Glad you liked it and have a great cruise.

Hey Peter

That was a great review and the pictures are awesome! I think that one of these days, Pam and I will have to go over the pond and do a cruise like that. We are now looking forward to our Allure cruise in October! I was recently looking at the video from our Freedom cruise in 2006 and it is remarkable to me how little you and Patrick have changed.

Take care

Archived